Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: My New UI WIP

Blog Entries

Default My New UI WIP

With Legion almost here I decided to get to work on my new UI, since I'm starting the expansion boxing I'm putting it together with that in mind. My goal is a streamlined UI that doesn't have a lot of clutter. Still working out the kinks, but I'm actually really happy with it so far. I've got 2 hidden bars right now for professions, general purpose items (Hearthstone, etc), and of course a few abilities I don't use often enough to warrant keeping constant tabs on them. Let me know what you guys think.

WoWScrnShot_082416_172011.jpg

I'll be updating this as I go along with my new Macros, etc.
    My Blog: SRS Business

Nice!

I guess if I wasn't so concerned with addon memory usage and ran Wow at higher quality, this sort of setup would make sense. I am all about minimal UI's typically...

Very clean indeed....

I quite like it. Clear and simplistic. The extra action button in the middle would irritate me, but that's personal preference I guess.

Personally I've started following a "less is more" type of philosophy when it comes to my UIs. If it isn't telling me something that I should be aware of, I hide it.

One change I've made that I've been really happy with is completely getting rid of the player frame. I've found it completely irrelevant as you need to track the party/raid health instead of just 1 toon. Only problem was when running a toon solo for whatever reason, but now the introduced personal resource display has solved that too.

Similarly I don't have any visible action bars anymore and instead just track party/raid cooldowns through an add-on, specifically Ora3.

i don't know i love seeing a lot of junk on my screen

maybe am odd

Now ya know, I will need to see a list of whats what and where I can get it right?

Blog Entries

@kalos72 You've hit on something there I should've mentioned earlier, since I plan to be streaming/recording a lot in this expansion I've decided to go to 1080p and bury the needle on the quality settings. I still think 4k, even with lower quality settings looks better, but Twitch REALLY doesn't like streaming 4k. That and my connection just isn't good enough to stream at that quality. So far, this is a very compact UI in terms of memory usage. Though, I'm adding more today and with the computer upgrade I've got planned I'm even less concerned about the memory usage issue than I already was, but that's a topic for another time.

Current AddOns pictured:
    Bartender4 - There is only 1 Bar visible, just split into 2 rows. There are an additional two bars, one in 3 rows of 4 beneath the visible one and another 1 row bar between that and the stat tracker to the right. I keep additional less used abilities like AOEs and taunt there, along with professions. The long bar holds all of my travel stuff like mounts and hearthstone(s).
    Chinchilla Minimap - This one's a new one for me, but I think it's got me. I really like having the Location displayed with the minimap, and the overall aesthetic.
    Shadowed Unit Frames - This one's a little tricky, but I used the predecessor to this as far back as BC. The only real trouble I have with it is that you have to preposition frames entirely by x / y text location on the screen. That's not the most terrible thing in the world, and definitely what I prefer for fine tuning. But when I'm just getting set up, I really just want to be able to unlock it and move it in the general area where I want it.
    Skada - Damage, Threat, etc meters. Still have some customization to do there, but I really love this addon.
    TipTac - Really simple Tooltip addon that lets you move and configure the appearance of tooltips. Otherwise tooltips would cover Skada.

@Wubsie This is something I think we can agree on Bellular Gaming did a great video recently about his new UI that I think sums it up best. I'm trying to do similarly, in that I want the UI to display the information I need/want rather than just ALL of the information. Additionally, I'm going with the philosophy of conditional UI elements. Such as the Part/Solo bars. That's the major thing I'm tackling today (along with Clique integration). In a group, the play bar will become part of the group window. That's the plan anyway. When I break out the raid however the player window will disappear completely in favor of a raid grid.

I used to use oRA long, LONG time ago. I might have to have a look at it again, probably that or WeakAuras. I may, in the end hide the last action bar when it's all done. But I'm not entirely sure yet. I've left the Extra Action Button untouched at this point, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it, I might move it to the top / center of the screen (just under where I put the Micro Menu Bar).

@ebony I think upgrading my monitor is what made me change my philosophy toward what's on the screen, when I realized how gorgeous the scenery really can look in the game I wanted to see more of it.

Some parting thoughts:
    I've decided I'm definitely going to be adding a hidden Healing bar somewhere, I plan to upgrade my mouse in a bit. And the eventual goal is to move all healing to clique on the mouse itself with movement and attack rotations handled by the keyboard. So, expect more a bit later.

One other question, how does it look with a full party?

Blog Entries

Here's how it looks right now with the group, currently.

WoWScrnShot_082516_161942.jpg

When I join a raid, the player and group unit frames are replaced by Grid.

Nice again! I like the Invasion Timers...

I like Gird so I might go that route instead of the Jamba Display.

Quote Originally Posted by ebony View Post
    i don't know i love seeing a lot of junk on my screen

maybe am odd
    It's not just you.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)