Close
Showing results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Pokemon Go!

Default Pokemon Go!

If anyone have wondered why I suddenly stopped making videos, or posting here in general, it is because I have not been spending any time at my computer.
    Since the release of Pokemon Go in my country I've been playing it most of my free gaming time.

I wouldn't say the that the greatness of the game corresponds to how popular it has become. It has many flaws, as in some geographical areas just having huge advantages over other. Compare New york to a very small town out in nowhere where there may be no pokemon or "pokestops" at all, making the game unplayable. I live in a city where there is a fair amount of things and the game is playable, but have I lived in new york I have no doubt I would have been of the first to catch them all.

And then we have the GPS spoofers (cheaters) who can travel anywhere in the world instantly, having an understandable huge advantage. Niantic seem to have started dealing out some permanent bans for these cheaters, but I still daily see accounts who clearly are or have been using GPS-spoofing. And all that is of course in violation of the terms.

Beside from those things I think the game is fun. I'ts very nostalgic for me, I used to play the games and collect the cards when I was younger.
    The game mechanic with the integration with the real world, google maps, gps etc, and even the pokestops is all pretty much taken from Niantics previous game "Ingress" where the pokestops instead are "portals", which has been submitted by players in the earlier stages of that game. I also played that game and enjoyed it. Ingress is in fact in my opinion a much superior game compared to pokemon Go, but hey, there is no Pokemon.

Living in my smaller city I have now reached level 28, filled my pokedex with 133 pokemons (a few pending evolutions available). So with the pokemon available in my country without traveling abroad for the region specific ones, I'm not missing many.
    I've walked 380km (in the pokemon app) which would correspond to more likely over 500km real distance because of the simplified way pokemon go measures distance. It measures your position every 4 mins or so, and draws a straight line. So walk in a circle over a 4 minute time and you track 0.
    The most actual distance I've walked in a day (tracked with samsung S) is 37km. People are saying I'm looking thinner, and having a tan like I've never had before.

Anyone else who have done like many others and started playing Pokemon Go?
    Last edited by davidmage : 08-04-2016 at 03:03 AM

I've got 79 in my pokedex, level 22. My 3 kids love it, so that basically means me and my wife are playing too. As far as region specific, there's only 4 of those, right? NA, EU, AUS, JP are the regions I saw listed, and I don't think those 4 evolve.

We are all amazed at the sheer number of people we see playing the game. We can drive downtown and the areas with 3-4 pokestops that overlap or nearly do constantly have lures and dozens of people hanging out. Our zoo has 3 gyms and 20+ pokestops, we've been there twice and there's tons of people walking around catching pokemon, and even after zoo hours the pokestops out front are always lured. The parking lot used to be pretty empty after hours, but now it's always busy with 2 overlapping pokestops (with lures) and 1 a little down the lot. There are random security guards patrolling it while people sit around the lot.

Outside the city I see kids with bikes sitting in front of churches (their nearest pokestop). There's even a billboard on the way out of the city to the north, some local business has a pokestop and they're advertising "PLAYING POKEMON GO?" to get business to their drive-thru and for people sit and eat while they collect.

I bought stock within a few days of the game's release, so hopefully that pans out Pokemon is an amazing IP for a game like this. I am pretty excited for it, although my excitement is currently tempered by the stock price. I am also looking forward to the Pokemon Go Plus accessory, I think every parent is going to need one (or two) to get their phones back from the kids and to conserve battery.

And you're not the first to mention the walking/exercise. If that is something you've been missing, then good for you, seriously. 380km is a lot!
    Last edited by Lax : 08-04-2016 at 07:05 AM Reason: My CRLFs are not showing up in the post, so it comes out as one big ugly paragraph. Sorry guys. (wtf?)
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer
    Video: ISBoxer Quick Start

Knowing when to back away from a trend is just as important as being able to spot it. When dealing with fads that appeal to kids they usually flame out just as fast as they became popular.

Mobile games need constant innovation and have a short shelf life. Traders love shorting the game industry.

nintendoTable1-01_0.jpg
    Last edited by Fat Tire : 08-04-2016 at 10:23 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tire View Post
    Mobile games need constant innovation and have a short shelf life. Traders love shorting the game industry.
    Are you aware of any reverse effects shorting has on hypes (e.g. simplified: company x sees an increase in shorting and decides to put less effort into the game, thus hype dies faster)? I'm fairly clueless atm with regards to the stock exchange.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!