Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Upgrading PC

Default Upgrading PC

Hi all im going to upgrade my PC shortly and just going to ask here for advice. The case , power supply cpu cooler and hardrives are all ok and i will keep those, so im only buying these items.

i7-6700k
    GXT 1070
    MSI Krait Gaming Motherboard 1151
    32 gig ram

Now i only 5 box and i know i dont need that much ram but the motherboard has built in ram disk program so was going to use some of the ram for that??

Or should i just get 16 gig ram and buy a M2 drive instead ?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Syferr View Post
    Hi all im going to upgrade my PC shortly and just going to ask here for advice. The case , power supply cpu cooler and hardrives are all ok and i will keep those, so im only buying these items.

i7-6700k
    GXT 1070
    MSI Krait Gaming Motherboard 1151
    32 gig ram

Now i only 5 box and i know i dont need that much ram but the motherboard has built in ram disk program so was going to use some of the ram for that??

Or should i just get 16 gig ram and buy a M2 drive instead ?

Cheers
    I have the Gaming M7 with the same CPU and a 980Ti. Do not screw around with ram drives. Either run two Samsung 850's in RAID 0 or two Samsung 950 Pro's in RAID 0. I've been through having one 950 pro, one 840 pro, two 840 pros and now I'm running two 950 Pros. Single 950 Pro will have some I/O stall issues where two absolutely do not. And the read speeds are insane. That said, two 840/850 normal SSDs in RAID 0 showed very respectable numbers and didn't show the I/O stalls, either.

840proRaid0_z170a_i7-6700k.png

950pronvmessd.png

[edit] Couple more.

950 Pro RAID 0 results. I have no idea why it has that dip between 128 and 4k...didn't show that in the run right after I installed the OS. It was steady well over 2.3GB/s. /shrug
    950proRaid0_z170a_i7-6700k.png

840proRaid0_z170a_i7-6700k_CrystalDiskMark.png950proRaid0_z170a_i7-6700k_CrystalDiskMark.png
    Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz : 07-25-2016 at 02:01 AM
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I wouldn't bother with the ram drive.
    As you are tossing up between 16GB RAM extra and an SSD then, I also wouldn't bother with raid 0 on SSD's or M2's, as that increases your costs, unless you are doing something that requires insanely fast read/write speeds for disk I/o and manages to flood the buffers of a single SSD/M2. Most people are not.

If you are moving from HDD's only, then an SSD/M2 of pretty much any kind* will be like all your Christmas's have come at once. Even my 6 year old C300 (one of the early SSD's) performs better than a HDD.

*there are some caveats, some models perform better than others, but pretty much all the ones out there today will beat a mech HDD. If you don't want to do any research then best to stick with current Samsung models, they are generally better performers** and you wont go wrong with getting one.

**Yes there are benchmarks which show a other brand/models beating them, but not many (like 3?), and usually at higher cost.

I agree with the above posters about RAM disks, but I'll add that putting World of Warcraft onto a RAM disk requires that the vast majority of the game folder go onto it for it to be effective. In other words, you'd need more than 32GB of RAM to do this.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Well i put the PC together over the weekend and its running awesome. I can now multibox with everything maxed to ultra on my main account and there is absolutely no video lag at all. I even saw what a whole Kazzak raid looks like haha.

Only thing i changed was the 32 gig ram back to 16.

Happy days

It's nice when your system isn't being red-lined all the time, aint it?
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)