Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 11

Default 1080 GTX question

I'm in the middle of prepping my machine for 5 boxing Legion. As noted in another thread the hdds converted to ssds, CPU, Motherboard and RAM have all been upgraded.

The last bottleneck is my 780GTX.

My display config is the following:

21:9 - 3440 x 1440 * 5 windows
    Stacked fullscreen ( no swapping )
    FX overlays - 4 slaves.

I noticed on my 780 putting the master at ultra resulted in dropped frames. Slaves losing follow, etc. I dropped it all the way down to the lowest setting and the frames haven't dropped since. I'm wondering on my setup how much more capable the 1080 will be in keeping the master at a decent ( high or ultra ) resolution. Or maybe something I'm doing with the FX screens just isn't a good idea?

How the upgrade would affect your situation FPS-wise specifically I don't know, but you'd be replacing a 3-year old video card with the best that money can currently buy, so I'd assume that it would be a nice upgrade.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

@MiRai - do you use FX windows much? Do you know if there is a tax on the GPU for using them?

I ask as the frame droppage I only saw when I was doing stacked full screen with 4x FX overlays for the slaves.

If I do a standard 1 + 1x4 window layout for the master and slaves without FX windows I can run the master on ultra np without the slaves dropping frames. I thought maybe my config was broken or FX is a performance hit.

Its all about your vram. WoW is a CPU intensive game and doesn't require much GPU power. It does however require a decent amount of vram on the GPU when boxing to store all the assets. For example, i run 20 off of a GTX 980 ti with ease and have enough vram to spare for a few more. That is however with all windows on low, and 1 on ultra at 1080p. The 1080 last i checked is going to have a mem clock and memory capacity (8gb) higher than the GTX 980 Ti and should have no problem with what you are doing at that capacity. Keep in mind i run my games with a resolution of 1080p and you run yours at a resolution higher than that and may not be able to do many more with one card. If you picked up a Titan, that would give you room to grow. Not sure how much more room though.

For comparison, my other system has a 780 Classified (Same thing) in it and could support up to 15 on low at 1080p. You say you have significant lag with just 5 and 1 on ultra.

Another thing to consider however is it may not even be your GPU. When you up your graphics from low to ultra the CPU is taking most of the hit. What CPU do you have? I build a lot of systems and do a lot of testing. I'll try to help the best i can with any questions you have on this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMilitia View Post
    @MiRai - do you use FX windows much? Do you know if there is a tax on the GPU for using them?
    There should be no penalty for VFX unless you are running a lot of them (15-20+).

I ask as the frame droppage I only saw when I was doing stacked full screen with 4x FX overlays for the slaves.

If I do a standard 1 + 1x4 window layout for the master and slaves without FX windows I can run the master on ultra np without the slaves dropping frames. I thought maybe my config was broken or FX is a performance hit.
    There isn't enough information for me to answer why this would be, since, while you might think your two layouts are the same (or very similar), they could vastly differ from each other. If you think VideoFX is the cause, then simply remove the viewers from the equation by closing those VFX Viewers down while running your current layout.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Nevermind! Found the problem it's VRAM.

When I run the master at ultra with the FX windows open and a 1:4 setup stacked fullscreen at 3440x1440 I'm simply running out of VRAM.

When I run on good settings I have about 0.3GB remaining.

The video card is a 780GTX with 3GB of RAM. So I should see this issue go away with the 1080 8GB then.
    Last edited by MadMilitia : 06-14-2016 at 02:15 PM

Nevermind! Found the problem it's VRAM.

When I run the master at ultra with the FX windows open and a 1:4 setup stacked fullscreen at 3440x1440 I'm simply running out of VRAM.

When I run on good settings I have about 0.3GB remaining.

The video card is a 780GTX with 3GB of RAM. So I should see this issue go away with the 1080 8GB then.
    Glad you figured it out! That GPU should solve your vram issues for now. I'm personally looking forward to the new pascal titan thats supposed to have a massive 24gb of GDDR5X memory. Can run a lot of wows on one system with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Malseph View Post
    Glad you figured it out! That GPU should solve your vram issues for now. I'm personally looking forward to the new pascal titan thats supposed to have a massive 24gb of GDDR5X memory. Can run a lot of wows on one system with that!

Yeah I bet! I'd be happy with one that can just run 5 on decent settings and 3 on ultra. 1080 should be enough for now.

I'm waiting for them to become a bit more available (stocks running out minutes after being posted) and then getting 2 to replace my 4 290x.

Just incase anyone is interested.

Mine showed up today and I installed it. Along with an old monitor as I figured now would be a good time to return to dual monitors with the new card.

Specs isboxer: 5 x 3440 x 1440p. Stacked (full screen no swapping )
    20 FX windows ( master views 4 DPS ) and DPS view ( 3 other DPS and master ).

Master - Ultra
    Slaves - Low

Second monitor for webpages, etc. Widescreen (Portrait) dell 24".
    Primary monitor for gaming Widescreen (Landscape) LG 34".

In combat - full load - 1080 shows 60% load capacity!
    In combat - full load - VRAM usage 3.3GB, 4.8GB free!
    In combat - full load - GPU temp 59c!

This is all on GPU (air) and CPU(waterblock). No overclocking.

Specs:
    Asus sabertooth Z170 mark 1.
    32GB corsair ballistic sport RAM.
    I7-6700K CPU
    1080GTX GPU
    Windows 10