Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default 32 or 64 GB RAM?

Wondering if anyone has gotten any mileage out of a 64 GB RAM setup on a 5 boxed scenario for WoW.

I'm not playing now but I just upgraded my machine parts to a board capable of handling 64GB of DDR4 ( this one: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards...TH-Z170-MARK-1 ).

I have done 5 boxing on 32GB and I don't think RAM was ever a bottleneck for me but the way WoW leverages some resources has me wondering if there is a window for 64GB to outshine 32.

Anyone?

You should only need 16GB of RAM to 5-box these days unless you're running an overabundance of programs in the background or perhaps playing at a larger resolution (e.g. 3840x2160). So, 32GB is just fine.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    You should only need 16GB of RAM to 5-box these days unless you're running an overabundance of programs in the background or perhaps playing at a larger resolution (e.g. 3840x2160). So, 32GB is just fine.

In regards to the resolution I am playing at 1440p. On a 21:9 ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMilitia View Post
    In regards to the resolution I am playing at 1440p. On a 21:9 ratio.
    I know, I just put that bit about the resolution in there in case anyone who played, or was looking to play, at 4K came across this thread. I'm assuming you still have 16GB of RAM today in your system, so if it's still up and running, open up your Task Manager to see how much RAM you're using while multiboxing.

Either way, you should expect to budget for 2GB per WoW client, so 32GB of RAM is going to cover almost everyone who multiboxes WoW on a single system.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

For now I'm going to do a 2X16GB config. I guess I'll hold off on buying the other two sticks until I know more.

No plans to play WoW in the near term anyway. Just future-proofing at this point.

I run dual-monitors at 1440p on 32GB of RAM and I think the most I ever see utilized is about 14-16GB. And that's with two browsers, email, a flash game, RDP, and a system tray so wide I could use it to bridge the Bosporus. At 1080p on each of my 5 clients and a dxNothing sidebar, they're sitting at about 1.5GB each in Shrine of Two Moons. After a long play session, they'll climb to 2GB each or so, but that's about it.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    I run dual-monitors at 1440p on 32GB of RAM and I think the most I ever see utilized is about 14-16GB. And that's with two browsers, email, a flash game, RDP, and a system tray so wide I could use it to bridge the Bosporus. At 1080p on each of my 5 clients and a dxNothing sidebar, they're sitting at about 1.5GB each in Shrine of Two Moons. After a long play session, they'll climb to 2GB each or so, but that's about it.

Nice. TY this is what I needed. So the motherboard is basically future-proof with a 64GB capacity.