Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Default New Multiboxer - Key Mapping & Macros

Hey there, I'm new to multi boxing and I've got some questions, some which may have been answered elsewhere (I'm a tiny bit over flooded with information, so I was hoping to get some guidance in form of where I should specifically look.)

I've so far level up 5 mages to 15 and 5 hunters to 10, no problems. I understand the basics. I've also looked at some of Mirai's videos and it has helped me allot, but I believe key mapping is still a rather big issue for me to understand.

When I first decided to try out multi boxing, I created a team of 3 casters, 1 healer and a tank. Worst decision in my life, because I've yet to figure out how to work this out. I found 5 of the same class being the easiest, as I press 1 button and it does the same spell on all characters judging that I've got them set in the same skill bar.

Now, I'm really interested in changing 2 of my hunters into a prot paladin and a perhaps holy paladin or holy priest, but then I end up with the same problem as before, 1-9 on the skill bar isn't going to be sufficient to organize the spells on all characters. Is there a way to expand this and bind hotkeys for new spells on each character? I assume it has to do with key mapping and if it does, I was hoping someone could send me in the direction of a noob friendly beginner's guide.

As far as it goes for macros, I've literally got none setup I think, apart from whatever ISBoxer's setup wizard did. Is there a noob friendly guide for this too? I assume creating macros could help me with the problem of 1-9 not being enough, and I read somewhere about gnome sequencer but I wasn't really sure how it'd work with ISBoxer.

Lastly, I assume this has to do with key mapping as well - First, if it's possible, how can I make my characters stop following me in combat? Sometimes I move to re position myself, and my characters end up stopping whatever they're doing i.e. challenging a spell only to move after me. Now secondly, is there a way for me to press something to make my "slaves" turn towards the target? I've had situations where I almost end up dying because my "slaves" aren't facing the target properly, resulting in them doing jack shit. EDIT: I figured this one out, I binded "turn left and turn right" which should help me, if there's a more efficient way of doing it, do let me know!

Thanks in advance for the help.
    - Osborn.

Ps. I'd appreciate some general direction guidance in where to look for healing setups etc. I just want to try and get through lower level dungeons with a team!
    Last edited by Osborn : 05-16-2016 at 02:16 PM

There are some good example of what we call "multi-step" mapped keys that function very similar to macros over in this other thread.

There is an introduction to rotations (i.e. multi-step mapped keys) in one of MiRai's videos.

Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    There are some good example of what we call "multi-step" mapped keys that function very similar to macros over in this other thread.

There is an introduction to rotations (i.e. multi-step mapped keys) in one of MiRai's videos.

Thank you for the quick response. I'll check this out and return with questions if this doesn't answer me!

It's not perfect like the old fall-through macros used to be, but it can get pretty close. Just requires tuning and experimentation.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

Depending on the class, Interact With Target is the best way to turn towards things. You also need it keybound for talking to questgivers all at once.

Healing is best done by creating a video feed with mouse pass through to your healer and using CLIQUE to bind a few heals on the healer. It is harder to heal (and tank) in the intro dungeons because you have fewer tools. I am also a fan of a basic heal "rotation" for most classes, using a lot of cast @ focus macros so that I only have to use the videofeed for spot healing. Autohealing rotations are possible for all classes, but here is a tutorial about doing it with a druid to get the idea: http://www.dual-boxing.com/entries/9...-Healing-Druid

I've managed to understand the majority of the basics, I guess. I've decided not to use the video feed for healing because I can't get used to playing full screen without being able to see my other screens down below, I only have one monitor ATM. So, I decided to create click bars and I suppose it'll work out good once I get more healing spells and can create sequence macros.

Now, I've got some other questions which would be rather off topic from the main post.

Click Bars - Is it possible to remove the mouseover targeting feature and make it so that I actually have to click on the box to target the character I'm trying to heal? I'm not too fond of constantly getting out of combat because my paladin decides to target one of the characters when I'm trying to heal with my other paladin (I've got my tank in the same ATG as my healer because I suppose I'll be off healing with him in incidents where the healer might not be able too!).

IWT - I've been going around on google and trying to find an up to date guide in regards to interacting with targets. I've got 5 characters, whereas 4 are melee (paladin, warrior, 2 ele shamans) and 1 healer, holy paladin. How can I make IWT enabled for the melee characters and not for the healer? It's rather nerve wrecking when the mobs move and I've got to constantly press my IWT key and my key to stop the healer from running up to the mob and attacking. I read some guides but they seem to be out to date in regards to key map categories.

Thanks in advance,
    - Osborn.

Blog Entries

To clarify, the video feed to the healer is ONLY the video feed of their party frame/bars (I use grid). If you use that method you won't have to worry about changing targets on your tank.

Try making your second paladin ret and healing from one of the shaman. Shaman are better multibox healers (you can chain heal off the tank and top off the melee, for example, and they have earth shield and riptide to get some proactive healing going).

Click bars are actually a more complex way to heal and usually not something I'd recommend for wow (in other games you might not have a choice, like Lotro, if I'm remembering correctly from years and years ago).

IWT: I think you can get the behavior you want by disabling click to move on your healer and any other ranged, although I personally don't worry about keeping toons back out of combat except for bosses at levels 80+. Almost nothing cleaves anymore, which lets us be lazy now (the way I handle it then, btw, is to run in with my entire group and then strafe or back up the followers, and then IWT everyone and only melee toons will run back in. Binding your arrow keys to movement on only the slaves will probably help you with a lot of beginning movement issues).

Quote Originally Posted by Osborn View Post
    I've managed to understand the majority of the basics, I guess. I've decided not to use the video feed for healing because I can't get used to playing full screen without being able to see my other screens down below, I only have one monitor ATM.
    You should look into VFX Layouts (Window Layouts built using Video FX) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hntr1IE1Xgc

Click Bars - Is it possible to remove the mouseover targeting feature and make it so that I actually have to click on the box to target the character I'm trying to heal? I'm not too fond of constantly getting out of combat because my paladin decides to target one of the characters when I'm trying to heal with my other paladin (I've got my tank in the same ATG as my healer because I suppose I'll be off healing with him in incidents where the healer might not be able too!).
    This sounds like a configuration error... I think? It sounds to me like you've mis-configured your Target for where the healing macro should be sent/executed, and instead of just the healer, you're telling all of your characters to do a /target [@mousever] or something along those lines.

We'd probably need to see your profile in order to fully answer this one.

IWT - I've been going around on google and trying to find an up to date guide in regards to interacting with targets. I've got 5 characters, whereas 4 are melee (paladin, warrior, 2 ele shamans) and 1 healer, holy paladin. How can I make IWT enabled for the melee characters and not for the healer? It's rather nerve wrecking when the mobs move and I've got to constantly press my IWT key and my key to stop the healer from running up to the mob and attacking. I read some guides but they seem to be out to date in regards to key map categories.
    You're looking for Action Target Groups.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology