Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Blog Entries

Default Thought someone might appreciate this

Since Legion's coming, and the question seems to come up pretty regularly, I thought I'd put together a suggested build for boxing. I managed to put together a competent rig for under $1200. Let me know if you've got any thoughts on this one guys.

http://srsbsns.blogspot.com/2016/08/...onclad_12.html
    My Blog: SRS Business

Looks pretty close to what I have planned for my Mom's Christmas upgrade. I'm going with a couple of 850 EVO SSDs, an MSI flavor motherboard and a Thermaltake Core V31 case (I have the V70 and love it) but essentially the same build. It's a solid baseline.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

Yeah, it's just a little different from my main rig. Though, the motherboard I'm using is a better/higher overclocking one with better cooling, etc.

What I found most interesting when working on this list was the video cards, 980 TIs new and used are going for about the same price. I saw an MSI Lightning TI for $390 and an EVGA hybrid water cooled one sell for $380 last night on eBay. I've ultimately gotten kinda lukewarm on the 1070 frankly, it performs fine but there doesn't seem to be much difference between the cards other than thermals and noise, which is kinda weird.

Im still working out the finances on my new desktop build and this helps. Thanks!

Core count is important I believe, I want to leave myself open to 10 boxing raid content, would a 6 core say I7-5820k be better for me then the 4.0 quad core?

Also, would I need dual graphics cards or could a 1070 or the 980 suffice?

Blog Entries

I'm capable of running 10 with settings turned down on a 6700k with a single 980 TI. The setup listed above would be capable of that, running a second card will mean being able to turn those graphic sliders up. As for the 5820k vs the 6700k for 10 boxing, I really couldn't say. I'm sure it would run it, but I don't know what the exact difference would be. For a single game like Witcher 3 for example, the 6700k will beat the 5820k assuming ram, video card setup, and settings are the same. I'm sure there's a point where more cores will mean less than available core clocks, I'm just not entirely sure where that point is in a boxing situation. Mirai might be able to shed some more light on that, as it's the root I think of one of the biggest questions we have when talking "minimums" or "recommended" builds for boxing.

Either way, I've decided myself to try tag teaming raids with other boxer(s) in the future. Ten works, but man does it hurt the wallet.