Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 16

Default Tapping Rules for Legion

Recently Game Designer Jeremy Feasel from Blizzard shared some information on the new tapping rules for Legion:

Hey everyone, we've made a few adjustments to how tapping rules work in Legion, which you've probably already noticed, and would like to get some targeted feedback (and bugs).

Most creatures you'll encounter will now allow up to 5 players on their tap list by default. The mob's name will grey out when you can no longer obtain credit for attacking it.

Parties are a special exception, as we allow your entire party onto the tap list if one person is on the tap list. Please let us know if you find bugs with this, we want you to be able to progress with your group.

Rare spawns, world bosses, and quest bosses will largely continue to allow unlimited tappers, as they have been previously, both to facilitate large group engagements and to remove potential roadblocks.
    As someone who recently went from five to eight accounts, the party exception caught my eye. It seems that theoretically at least, it's possible to have up to nine taps on a target: a target can have up to five taps by default, but if four taps are taken and the fifth member is part of a group, all party members will be added to the tap list as well - thus allowing for that theoretical maximum of nine.

This doesn't account for other players in the world however, so running around in the world with a team of 9 characters might mess things up now and then when other players tap targets as well. However, for smaller groups I can certainly imagine this working just fine and it does mean it's possible to quest with teams of more than five characters.

Keep in mind that at the time of posting, Legion is still in alpha and the tapping rules might still change before the expansion goes live. That said, it does look like Legion offers possibilities for those of us who'd like to quest with more than five characters at a time. I'm particularly excited at the prospect of being able to do World Quests at max level this way.

Update: Jeremy Feasel confirmed that if a party of four and a party of three would tag a normal mob in the outdoor world, all seven people get quest credit and loot. I've updated this post to reflect this, as well as to take other posts in this thread into account.
    Last edited by MultiBear : 05-05-2016 at 07:30 PM Reason: Changed Blizzard post to quotes, as the Blizz tags don't appear to work.

yes, his explanation of the party tap is not very clear, it does read to me that just one party member tags, the rest of the party is added taking up the tag slots which I suspect will be the case, I hope I am wrong.

I made a post the other day about this. In beta the mob can olny have five on its tap list! If your in a party of five then you be the olny player that can tag that mob unless a ! Boss now this is where it gets funny. If your a paty of 2 then there be 3 more places to make up for the five or 3 there be 2 for random players.

So no a ten+ boxer can not have 5 groups of 5 tagging him 25 players it stops at 5. And random players can not take your kill

Quote Originally Posted by ebony View Post
    I made a post the other day about this. In beta the mob can olny have five on its tap list! If your in a party of five then you be the olny player that can tag that mob unless a ! Boss now this is where it gets funny. If your a paty of 2 then there be 3 more places to make up for the five or 3 there be 2 for random players.

So no a ten+ boxer can not have 5 groups of 5 tagging him 25 players it stops at 5. And random players can not take your kill
    Have you actually tested this, or do you have a source that this is how it works under the hood?

If what you're saying is true, that as soon as a party member taps a target, all party members get immediately added to the tap list, then that would put the theoretical maximum at 9.

I seriously doubt they'd count a "party tap" as 1 item on the tap list rather than 1 item for each party member in the tapper's group. What it looks like they are doing is allowing the tap list max to go over 5 if someone in a party taps a mob and the number of members in the party would exceed the standard max. Anything else is just too needlessly complex from a software perspective.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    I seriously doubt they'd count a "party tap" as 1 item on the tap list rather than 1 item for each party member in the tapper's group. What it looks like they are doing is allowing the tap list max to go over 5 if someone in a party taps a mob and the number of members in the party would exceed the standard max. Anything else is just too needlessly complex from a software perspective.
    That is how i read it as well.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

I have tested with 3 players and tagging random players mobs but that would be the 4th there was a few times we manged to get the over the five and one player in the party did not get the tag its hard to test but am keeping an eye on it and ill update when i can get more betes or frinds in it.

Or though the api shows 5.
    Last edited by ebony : 04-29-2016 at 04:00 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    That makes sense. I was so keen on the possibilities that I didn't stop to think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ebony View Post
    I have tested with 3 players and tagging random players mobs but that would be the 4th there was a few times we manged to get the over the five and one player in the party did not get the tag its hard to test but am keeping an eye on it and ill update when i can get more betes or frinds in it.

Or though the api shows 5.
    That does seem to support that theoretical 9 then, thanks!

Also, another statement was made about the tapping rules, but will update the original post soon.

some more information today seems you can infect go over the 5 cap with partys

So, in #Legion, if a party of 4 and a party of 3 all tag a normal outdoor mob, do all 7 people get credit & loot for the kill?
    yes (Muffinus)

so might be cool for bigger boxers to have a few smaller party's to get around this.

So lets say I kill mobs NOT in a group on 5 accounts. Does each of the toons get loot as if it soloed the mob?
    If that is the case, it might be better to quest/farm not grouped.
    Also, if that is going to be applied to all wow content, some old farms are going to be insane for multiboxing (like primal fire farming in outland for example)
    Last edited by Pazgaz : 05-14-2016 at 10:15 AM