Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 40

Default Blizzard responds to Nostalrius discussion

From: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20743584206

We wanted to let you know that we’ve been closely following the Nostalrius discussion and we appreciate your constructive thoughts and suggestions.

Our silence on this subject definitely doesn’t reflect our level of engagement and passion around this topic. We hear you. Many of us across Blizzard and the WoW Dev team have been passionate players ever since classic WoW. In fact, I personally work at Blizzard because of my love for classic WoW.

We have been discussing classic servers for years - it’s a topic every BlizzCon - and especially over the past few weeks. From active internal team discussions to after-hours meetings with leadership, this subject has been highly debated. Some of our current thoughts:

Why not just let Nostalrius continue the way it was? The honest answer is, failure to protect against intellectual property infringement would damage Blizzard’s rights. This applies to anything that uses WoW’s IP, including unofficial servers. And while we’ve looked into the possibility – there is not a clear legal path to protect Blizzard’s IP and grant an operating license to a pirate server.

We explored options for developing classic servers and none could be executed without great difficulty. If we could push a button and all of this would be created, we would. However, there are tremendous operational challenges to integrating classic servers, not to mention the ongoing support of multiple live versions for every aspect of WoW.

So what can we do to capture that nostalgia of when WoW first launched? Over the years we have talked about a “pristine realm”. In essence that would turn off all leveling acceleration including character transfers, heirloom gear, character boosts, Recruit-A-Friend bonuses, WoW Token, and access to cross realm zones, as well as group finder. We aren’t sure whether this version of a clean slate is something that would appeal to the community and it’s still an open topic of discussion.

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.

You, the Blizzard community, are the most dedicated, passionate players out there. We thank you for your constructive thoughts and suggestions. We are listening.

J. Allen Brack
    This is the most interesting thing for me:

One other note - we’ve recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks.
    Would you multibox on a classic realm? Honestly if they ever did this for a WotLK realm I'd probably never play current content again. Nostalgia so hard for Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Svpernova09 View Post

Would you multibox on a classic realm? Honestly if they ever did this for a WotLK realm I'd probably never play current content again.
    so true Well If legion is like wod then i would not

am not sure about the realms with the slower leveling though to be fair. Or though i can really see blizzard doing something soon to be fair.

Last edited by Fat Tire : 04-26-2016 at 03:34 PM

Depends. If they made the world mobs (e.g. the Fenris Isle gnoll castle just north of The Sepulcher in Silverpine) dangerous again, even to small groups, I'd be tempted. They've nerfed everything out in the open world so hard over the years, even Tanaan Jungle elites are more or less pushovers.

So, basically, make questing treacherous and aptly rewarding, and revert dungeons back to the pre-Cata-gratuitous-AoE mechanics, and yeah, I'd play there.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Svpernova09 View Post
    Would you multibox on a classic realm? Honestly if they ever did this for a WotLK realm I'd probably never play current content again. Nostalgia so hard for Wrath.
    Absolutely. It wouldn't surprise me if the game got to a point where legacy servers became more popular than the current expansion. I guess thats what happens when you cater to the call of duty crowd ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

Sign me up for anything pre-Cataclysm. I spent weeks grinding my timbermaw rep solo in vanilla in crap gear. I have such fond memories of that time period and nothing can replace it.
    Guilds: Spirit of St Louis/Saint Louis
    US- Trollbane/Zuljin Horde and Alliance

I read the wiki on it and says they have between 8000 and 15000 online. Is that alot? For Blizzard to do something like that it seems like it will cost millions and millions just to earn them thousands and thousands.

But at least they're discussing it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    I read the wiki on it and says they have between 8000 and 15000 online.
    24/7 or just peak prime-time?
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Did anyone here box during Vanilla? I two boxed until Wrath.. but I did it old school way until I discovered this forum during BC and the joy of 5 boxing! I would definitely make a group for that! What sucks though.. You wouldn't be able to make a paly+shaman team if it were a true vanilla realm. Were Bears tanks good in vanilla?
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    Did anyone here box during Vanilla? I two boxed until Wrath.. but I did it old school way until I discovered this forum during BC and the joy of 5 boxing! I would definitely make a group for that! What sucks though.. You wouldn't be able to make a paly+shaman team if it were a true vanilla realm. Were Bears tanks good in vanilla?
    I dual boxed at the tail end of Vanilla (nothing like we do now), it was pretty rough. The game was pretty rough back then though. I think Warrior + Mage/Warlock/Hunter + Priest team would do really well.