Close
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 40

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    24/7 or just peak prime-time?
    Here is the quote.
    Nostalrius boasted a very high player base, regularly having over 15000 players online at peak times, with lowest points of 8000 players on at off-hours.
    http://vanilla-wow.wikia.com/wiki/Nostalrius_Begins

<Gentle reminder about not supporting private servers however this discussion is still interesting because of the implications of Blizzard actually implementing official vanilla locked servers so be careful what you link to>

Blog Entries

I appreciated that they communicated about the issue. I sincerely doubt they will ever implement anything more legacy than the timewalk events, although they might expand those.

I miss real specs and wish the world was more dangerous.

I would most certainly love to multibox the rougher, more tedious content (e.g. 5/10-man dungeons), but it'd also be very easy for a multiboxer to actually raid with 30-35 other people (and include other multiboxers!) if we could go back to those days.

Arguably, you can still do this in LFR, but... eh...

However, I have no desire for a "pristine" realm.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    I read the wiki on it and says they have between 8000 and 15000 online. Is that alot? For Blizzard to do something like that it seems like it will cost millions and millions just to earn them thousands and thousands.

But at least they're discussing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    24/7 or just peak prime-time?
    A few months ago, after its 1-year anniversary and prior to any C&D letters, Nostalrius released an infographic showing their numbers - http://i.imgur.com/jxtOQlu.jpg

Whether the information in that graphic is true or not is not something anyone outside of their team could possibly know, but if you've watched any of the "good-bye" videos over the past few weeks I would say that it's probably accurate. At the time of shutdown the numbers were apparently 800,000+ registered accounts and 150,000+ active—at least according to the Change.org petition that is currently running.

However, what I've read over the past few weeks (since I've been trying to keep up with it all as best as I could), retail servers back in vanilla had about a 2500 player cap according to Mark Kern—who is the ex-lead WoW developer for vanilla/classic—but I've also heard other people post this information randomly on the internet throughout the years before I had ever heard it from Mark Kern. So, 8,000-15,000 players on a single realm would be incredibly overpopulated, and this was what Ironforge looked like during its final minutes on the PvE realm, which was an additional realm opened after the original PvP realm to help offload those only looking for PvE.

Others have also pointed out that Nostalrius's numbers only account for a 10-day window, whereas any company reporting a subscriber base does it over a 30-day window, so it's likely a lot higher than that infographic shows (again, assuming it's true).

As for 150k active, my understanding is that was measured over a 10 day window. The industry standard for measuring active is 30 days. I bet the 30 day number is higher, but even at 150k, during vanilla WoW we only expected around 450k active subscribers, and it would have been a huge success.
    Source

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    Did anyone here box during Vanilla? I two boxed until Wrath.. but I did it old school way until I discovered this forum during BC and the joy of 5 boxing! I would definitely make a group for that! What sucks though.. You wouldn't be able to make a paly+shaman team if it were a true vanilla realm. Were Bears tanks good in vanilla?
    I didn't start multiboxing until TBC, and it was me just running two accounts and moving between them so that I could power level a second Warrior to avoid having to constantly respec my main Warrior.

I don't think any tanks were viable for any serious progression beside Warriors, but I remember playing with a Ret Paladin back in the early days and he tanked all of the instances. So... /shrug
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    I don't think any tanks were viable for any serious progression beside Warriors, but I remember playing with a Ret Paladin back in the early days and he tanked all of the instances. So... /shrug
    I remember running LBRS with a shaman tank back in vanilla...
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

i doubt that this will have success, remember that the best gear was only obtainable by 40 man raids or playing pvp 24/7 with pocket healers or account sharing. Ok oneshotting cloth as enhance with random windfury proccs was fun and the world was more dangerous because everyone had shit gear except the few in top raid guilds. Other than that i would prefer bc/wotlk servers anytime.

without lfr/new honor system not a single casual (90% of todays wow population) is gonna play this
    Last edited by Kruschpakx4 : 05-02-2016 at 11:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Kruschpakx4 View Post
    i doubt that this will have success, remember that the best gear was only obtainable by 40 man raids or playing pvp 24/7 with pocket healers or account sharing. Ok oneshotting cloth as enhance with random windfury proccs was fun and the world was more dangerous because everyone had shit gear except the few in top raid guilds. Other than that i would prefer bc/wotlk servers anytime.

without lfr/new honor system not a single casual (90% of todays wow population) is gonna play this

wait until they see how useful meeting stones were in vanilla!

Quote Originally Posted by Svpernova09 View Post
    wait until they see how useful meeting stones were in vanilla!
    LOL! +1 internets to you, sir.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Casuals wont be able to use the meeting stone because if you click more than once the summon aborts, I don't know if that has ever been fixed but if not it's absolutely impossible for todays casuals to execute a teleport via meeting stone

Quote Originally Posted by Kruschpakx4 View Post
    Casuals wont be able to use the meeting stone because if you click more than once the summon aborts, I don't know if that has ever been fixed but if not it's absolutely impossible for todays casuals to execute a teleport via meeting stone
    He has a point...
    Sadly