Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Default How to Handle Macros Leveling Up?

I'm trying my first mixed team, and I'm finding leveling very frustrating. It feels like ever few levels, I have to redo all my macros to add in new spells. Needless to say, this is taking way too much time to make it fun.

I was wondering how people here deal with this? Do you leave macros very basic until max level, or do you copy the macros from somewhere else? Or is there a third option I'm not thinking of? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Do you use IsBoxer? Are you leveling lots of teams or just a couple?

Personally I use the max level macros and ignore the error messages for the missing spells. I also keep about 90% of my macros inside IsBoxer.

Unless you feel like you're not able to complete something (while leveling) because you're not pulling enough DPS, then there's probably no need to make changes to macros every few levels since most things die almost instantly outside of bosses.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    Do you use IsBoxer? Are you leveling lots of teams or just a couple?

Personally I use the max level macros and ignore the error messages for the missing spells. I also keep about 90% of my macros inside IsBoxer.
    This.

Since I mostly use isboxer macros, that handle the spells individually (tanks are the big exception to that, for some reason tanks seem to require actual rotations), I just leave it all in there and the spells will start activating when I get to that level.

Proof of concept:

Elemental shaman

(separate macros, all triggered at once)

Code:
    /cast lava burst     (starts working at level 34)

/cast [combat] Ascendance (starts working at level 87)

/castsequence reset=target flame shock, null  (starts working at level... 3?)

/cast lightning bolt (starts working at level 1)

At first my toons will just spam lightning bolt, but as they level up they'll be using the other macros as well.

I think your problem is probably that you are doing complex castsequences, which really are just not as good as using multiple isboxer macros stacked by priority.

A real pro would make it /castsequence reset=target lightning bolt, flame shock, null btw, so you don't waste time dotting stuff out in the world.

I would have to agree with everyone.
    If you are just running instances (non heroics), not at max level, or just questing out in the world there is no need for perfect max dps macros. Save that for when your max level and at the training dummies.

I usually spend time on my teams macros in chunks. I always get some going at level 10, but than I wont touch them (except for heals and tank) again until 40 or so, again at 60 or 70 etc...

Doing this really limits my downtime. I also really try not to work on any professions until max level (sometime it's nice to get a break from running instances though).

Just a related question I have for those of you that store all/most of your macro work in ISBoxer: Do you use some sort of "system" as to what key combinations you assign to the macros? I've started collecting quite a lot of macros in ISBoxer now, and just thrown key combinations that sort of make sense to me at them as I go, but it is quickly becoming a disorganized mess.

I think Mirai uses a great advanced system. You should def. watch his videos.
    With his system I believe you can drop in any character into any team.

I myself just use what I've been using since I started using IsBoxer years ago, I'm one of those types that when something works for me I just stick with it lol

In IsBoxer I usually create new key maps for my classes.
    So I would create the following key maps for my current group.
    AlwaysOn - Always On Macros
    Combat - Combat Macros (not class specific, more like Q = everyone attack, E = Pull Attack)
    General - Movement Macros, Quality of Life Macros
    Paladin - Class Macros
    Hunters(3) - Class Macros
    Priest - Class Macros

Paladin will use KEYPAD
    Hunters will use SHIFT + KEYPAD
    Priest will use CTRL + KEYPAD

**Edit
    I know it's hard, IsBoxer can be a daunting application with new users, especially with all the different variables to consider. I would HIGHLY recommend watching Mirai's tutorial videos. Yes it will take some time, but you are getting QUALITY with each video. After watching them and understanding IsBoxer more, you will breeze through making a system that works for you.
    Last edited by Teknetron : 03-27-2016 at 03:14 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Wubsie View Post
    Just a related question I have for those of you that store all/most of your macro work in ISBoxer: Do you use some sort of "system" as to what key combinations you assign to the macros? I've started collecting quite a lot of macros in ISBoxer now, and just thrown key combinations that sort of make sense to me at them as I go, but it is quickly becoming a disorganized mess.
    [edit] If I understand you right, I agree that it's hard to remember, especially if you use similar combinations in-game. My only complaint in all that is that there's no warning that you're re-using one that is already taken until you export. I try to use "Right-control/Right-shift/Right-alt" in mine, which leaves the non-specific in-game keys alone for normal use.
    Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz : 03-27-2016 at 05:42 PM
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

For class specific macros I have them run (I think) Alt Shift Q to Alt Shift . Bind them all first, THEN start putting abilities on them. Since no character is running two class specific sets I just copy my priest set over and over to the other classes and then modify them when necessary.

I think the only problem I ever had was druid (this was before ability pruning), which I had to compromise on "Mana Druid" and "Physical Druid". Half the macros were the same but the other ones were actually in different sets. Obviously that is crappier if you want to do like a pro spec swapping: http://www.dual-boxing.com/entries/9...ecs-like-a-Pro.

to clarify I mean I bind Alt Shift Q, Alt Shift W, Alt Shift E.... all the way across, for all three letter rows.

I just keep my macros very simple. Single target, AoE damage and CD macros are enough to get to about 80. Haven't tried past that yet
    My Multiboxing Blog: http://mywowlegion.blogspot.ca/