Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default Can a 5 box still do a lot of higher end stuff?

Hey guys,

I played WoW for about 2 years like 6 years ago.. I know I know, been a long time. So sorry in advance if these are stupid questions but I need to ask:

1. I could do just about any group instance as most were tank and spank. A few required some basic movement, but not many. Not much was off limits from a skill standpoint. In todays game, are most group instances still 5 box-able or is the content and end bosses of the instances requiring a lot more movement and placements?

2. Is there any major rule that Blizzard has done to inhibit boxers and their progression (non pvp)? Im sure there are countless little things here and there, bot any MAJOR ones?

3. Is it still as fun as it used to be... is it just "more of the same" or have they made it a lot more fun from a 5 box standpoint.

4. Can a max level 5 man group take down older raid content?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers!

What xpac did you play last?
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by blazicks View Post
    1. I could do just about any group instance as most were tank and spank. A few required some basic movement, but not many. Not much was off limits from a skill standpoint. In todays game, are most group instances still 5 box-able or is the content and end bosses of the instances requiring a lot more movement and placements?
    All end game dungeons can be easily 5-boxed. Once you get to the 700 iLevel gear (Ashran pvp gear) you can run heroics all in DPS spec.

2. Is there any major rule that Blizzard has done to inhibit boxers and their progression (non pvp)? Im sure there are countless little things here and there, bot any MAJOR ones?
    I've yet to have any problems boxing at all. Sure every once in awhile they change macros or something, but then I just come here and everyone has what we need to do to fix it worked out already.

3. Is it still as fun as it used to be... is it just "more of the same" or have they made it a lot more fun from a 5 box standpoint.
    It still has the same look and feel. If you like this type of game its also still the most polished and the one that allows you the most tools to box. Rift is OK if you need a free game.

Biggest improvement to the fun of WoW was Timewalking. Giving us a nice challenge to box.

4. Can a max level 5 man group take down older raid content?
    Yeah many have the older raids on farm for gold.

Hey there, welcome back no apologizes necessary as those are some legitimate concerns. So I've been boxin for a few months now and here are some of my thoughts on it.

1. 6 years ago so that's about beginning of wotlk through ulduar, and I agree those dungeons required far less movement and coordination. In WoD, for the most part, I'd have to say dungeons are not as friendly to boxin as they once were, however it doesnt mean they are not doable. I never box'd in wotlk, I had a friend that ran a prot pal and 4x ele shams and he facerolled everything then. Today that team is pretty much garbage as I have learned the hard way lol. There is enough movement in dungeons to render ele sham dps weak compared to say hunters. Some fights in WoD dungeons require constant moving and coordination, and they can be quite annoying, especially with an all melee team. The good news is, this late into the expansion you can easily gear out your fresh 100s and steamroll through basically every WoD dungeon through heroic.

Mythic dungeons are another animal. At this moment I haven't been able to box and clear an entire mythic dungeon even with a ilvl 730+ tank, but I have been successful against ~8 mythic dungeon bosses scattered across the 8 or so dungeons. The best 5man team to box and be able to clear almost all 5 man content, in my opinion, is blood dk (or prot pal, I prefer prot pal), disc priest, and 3x bm hunters. There are some decent lazy macros out there for bm hunter dps rotation so its pretty much plug and play. Another thing is Timewalking dungeons and they are really fun, basically reliving old dungeons from past expansions, not entirely how they once were but still good enough to bring back those memories. Some of them can be challenging at first since your ilvl is scaled down to a flat number, however you can easily obtain a bunch of socketed gear from old raids, perhaps even dust off that old legendary sitting in the bank (or even complete some) you can certainly have a good time doing these. What's even more fun is if you can get your hands on some old tier bonuses like hunter/dk tier15 from throne of thunder and just melt face lol. I made a 4xdk,1x disc team specifically for timewalking, the dks are in t15 and just a few weeks away from 4xshadowmourns, and it is definitely fun (although I am a bit bummed the mount dropped before I could complete the legs ><).

2. I agree with JohnGabriel, I haven't had any problems with boxin so far (non pvp) as a result of blizzard's doing. I'd say more movement and mechanics in dungeons is inhibiting enough.

3. I can't account on how fun boxing was before WoD but I am having a blast. A few months ago I was just about ready to take a break and wait for legion to drop but decided to give boxing a try as it peaked my interest and I don't regret it one bit. Sure there is a bit of a learning curve at first but no problem that can't be remedied here or via google search.

4. Yes, a max level 5 man team can quite easily clear old raids (excluding maybe 1 or 2 simply because of mechanics) and some old raids are a decent way to make some fast coin.

Hope this helped =)

I am someone who 5 boxed the heroic end time dungeons at the end of Cataclysm. I recognized almost immediately when stepping into WoD dungeons that they would be different and that has turned me off to 5 boxing them.

I've never had an interest in going at something beneath me like old dungeons and raids that I massively outgear. For this reason I switched to arena. We can never stop learning there and it isn't as annoying as PvE can be.

The one dungeon that convinced me to not bother I think was Skyreach. The stupid floor maze on the way to the second boss. Things like that I just don't enjoy. It is laughably easy on a single character and superbly difficult on multiple characters. One of those design decisions that make you scratch your head I guess.

Anyway, if you are really interested in sticking out multiboxing and like the complexities I would try arena. I like 2s for tight control and broader key mapping. I find 3s are a bit tougher for one person to parse whats going on all the time. Not impossible though. My turbo MW group had some success two seasons ago.

Floor maze, are you sure thats Skyreach? There is a wind debuff part but thats on the way to the final boss and running it box style is not that different than when solo. Have to say that's a shame though, I find Skyreach to be by far the best dungeon out of the bunch. It is very small, bosses are very manageable, and can literally clear that place in 6mins a run if you're into farming some quick gold (about 8.5kg raw gold per hour if you include guild bank bonus).

The biggest problam i find is with no coin system doing hcs you get nothing from it apart from rep on the weekends. So i dont see the point in doing them ya i used to faceroll them at the end of mop but i was getting coins to change to honor and or looms.

A tank healer and 3 hunters probs the eastest.

Yeah, the part where you have to run around a platform that has tiles that blow you off in different directions.

Maybe it isn't as bad as I make it out to be but it did turn me off to running it on a 5 man team. It felt like a hurdle with no real point.

Can just run the main across, suicide the followers and mass rez port, but yeah I guess that part is kind of pointless.

@ebony, the daily heroic gives that little bit of valor but I agree there really isn't much to spend valor on besides upgrading gear you already have. At least timewalking offers badges to purchase heirloom upgrades.

Skyreach run is easy, you can even run it with /follow no need to broadcast it. i think you just gave up too easily.

and for dungeons 2 heals + 3 hunters is ideal, pets can manage almost anything and if they can't you cant just cycle rez them, and 2 atonement priests, or Druids can auto heal 90% place and power heal though any boss mechanic. once you make it past the 680 ilvl 5x hunters are just plain silly, BM pets will solo everything, all you need to do is run around. (but remember to tag!)

plus, if you have druid heals, the same team that does current dungeons with ease will also run old dungeons on timewalking weekend. specially if you run 3 hunters + 2 druids, since you can que all hunts as dps and one druid as heal and another as tank, and keep 2 heals inside the instance.

pala heals can do the same, but you don't have an atonement effect so it can get busy. (tho 5x pala tanks rotating agro work, as usual.)

also tank + 4 atonement healers can farm trash on current raids. and for old raids 5 manning it is 99% of the time overkill. wish blizz added some difficulty to the old raids. BUT if you want rare stuff you can clear the way to a boss, then kill it with every alt (sharing lockouts). you can get as many as 50 rolls a week at rare mounts. once have all the rare drops its a bore... but its addictive as you make your way to them.

anyway as for the OPs questions:

1) yeah, dungeons are getting dumb with all the fires and jumping and moving... its not wow anymore. and legion is even worse. but for WoD most requirements can ever be solved abusing CDs or abusing the power of coordinated burst DPS.

some bosses i found to be only doable planning on sacrificing alts. think Garrosh in the pandaria raid. its really hard to complete that fight unless you sacrifice some alts. (he does some one hit kill attacks)

2) they change the way the game works, the last change which pissed me off to no end is the removal of guild item control from Addons. previously you could have an addon move items around in the gbank... now they are locked.

3) not as fun as it used to be, but other MMOs are still trash compared to wow. and ive tried them. (not just talking about boxing here, im talking gaming in general)

4) ofc you can, old raids have been retuned to be soloable for the most part. kill abilities are still there, so you still have to avoid garrosh slams, yoggsaron's insanity, etc, etc.

current raids can be done by groups of boxers, on MOP did a few (flex) and they were really fun, the problem is that coordinating with 2 other people seems to be harder than coordinating with other 9 or 19... weird.