Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default New build, some requirements // Soliciting input!

I've been on hiatus recently, but I've boxed 15 characters throughout a lot of WoD with this build:

I7-3930K oc'd to 4k
    2x GTX 970s
    32gb RAM

When I do cap out on resources, it is invariably CPU.

I'm interested in moving to 40 boxing, continuuing into Legion. Presumably, this would be best accomplished with two machines running 20 toons. Based off my experience with the above build, here's the shorthand of the build I'm considering (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/swf8Lk):

I7-5820K oc'd to ~4kish
    2x GTX 970s
    32GB RAM

Is this build going to comfortably run 20 toons? Can anyone compare resource usage of Legion to WoD? I'd far prefer to just run two computers for simplicity's sake (two monitors vice three, etc), but if I must I could consider three.
    "Tact is for those that lack the wit for sarcasm."

Blog Entries

For your setup, you may want to wait until the X99 refresh is released. At least until more reliable pricing is available at least. Since the refresh will be out before Legion.

http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-...800k-detailed/

Has some info about specifications, obviously though there's a lot of salt to be taken with the numbers presented but like I said, if you're building for Legion then you may want to hold off till summer.
    Last edited by Hor : 02-10-2016 at 06:51 PM
    My Blog: SRS Business

maybe more ram i seen legion using more ram then the current ver on the game

And 40 omg :O sweet!

Hi.

I'm not sure if you have 15-boxed a lot 'lately', only reason i'm bringing it up is a lot more people have that stupid legendary ring now.
    I am currently using a 5960X OC to 5ghz (15 box) and anytime 3 or more people use that ring, then do any form of AOE, CPU jumps right to 100% and stutters like mad for a few seconds. I thought I was pushing the chip too hard, played at stock - same thing happens. I asked a few friends what they do (since they play 15-40) and I was told they just play using one 'good machine' for the main, the followers were just linked via other random PCs they had.

I have no clue what kind of items they will bring into legion, you may not even suffer this type of problem like myself and a few others do. Figured I would bring it up anyway

GL with 40, I bet its fun!

*edit*
    If you have the above problem above (legendary cloak/rings), don't use any DPS meters like recount etc.
    Last edited by Kayley : 02-14-2016 at 10:57 AM

Thanks all for the feedback.

After more research, it looks like the I7-5820K is only a 10% gain over what I have now. The upside is that I'd then be on the LGA2011-3 socket, which the next generation of chips is supposed to be compatible with.

Given all this, should I still shoot for 20/20? I have two 30" monitors now, and I fear that running a cheap third machine for the 8 or so lead characters (one of each group perhaps) plus streaming and browsing will force me to snag a third monitor and then drastically rearrange my desk space.

Thoughts?
    "Tact is for those that lack the wit for sarcasm."

The (tldr) builds you listed will happily run 20 characters a piece.
    Add a third monitor attached to the wall above your head, angled down

Running the 5960X@4.5 (what voltage are you using for 5 btw?) with 5 chars, I've never seen it go above 20-22%. Seems a bit strange.