Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Default PCI Express SSDs

Holy hell. I had no idea these PCI-E things were this monstrous. And for under $200US...
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

Heck yeah, I was thinking of getting one due to the segregation of lanes on my skylake processor and it not having to rape my other devices bandwidth. they sure have come down in price!
    Check out my live stream @ http://www.twitch.tv/Crum151 and my website @ http://www.crumspeaks.com

Blog Entries

Yeah, I've actually got an Intel one on the way for my new build. REALLY looking forward to seeing how it performs. I'm finding fewer and fewer reasons to plug in traditional storage devices these days.
    My Blog: SRS Business

Personally, I break this category down into two separate categories, regardless that they both use PCIe lanes:

1) Actual PCIe devices plugged into a PCIe connector (where GPUs get plugged in)
    2) M.2 devices plugged into M.2 slots (e.g. not using a "card" to plug into a physical PCIe connector)

My Samsung SM951 (M.2, plugged into an M.2 slot) is fantastic and acts just like a regular drive (it's my OS drive). However, my Asus RAIDR requires its own "boot" screen during the BIOS POST taking up precious seconds and reducing the size of my e-peen when comparing boot times. The RAIDR also considers itself hot swappable, and shows up in the list of devices that can be "ejected" from the system. I haven't accidentally clicked on it yet, but it bothers me that it's there.

I don't know if all drives that physically plug into PCIe connectors act this way because I've only ever owned just one, but I prefer the behavior of the M.2 (in category 2), which is the same behavior of any drive plugged into your typical SATA port.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Windows 10 took ~5 minutes from the "Install now" button to the desktop when I started installing drivers. App installs take longer to click through the EULAs and "No, I really do NOT want to install the Ask toolbar" options than it does to show the progress bar. Very, very happy.

I just bought three Samsung 850 EVO. Did I buy the wrong type?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    I just bought three Samsung 850 EVO. Did I buy the wrong type?
    I've been really happy with my 2x 840 Pros. Same write speed in RAID 0 as the PCI-E M.2 and absolutely no slouch at 1GB/sec sequential reads. How were you planning on using them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    I've been really happy with my 2x 840 Pros. Same write speed in RAID 0 as the PCI-E M.2 and absolutely no slouch at 1GB/sec sequential reads. How were you planning on using them?
    I put two in RAID0 to run WoW from and a single for the OS. Wanted to get four to have dual RAID0 but would have had to wait for shipping.

Everything has been zoom zoom zoom so was just assuming the teenager at Best Buy did an ok job picking it out for me. These were replacing some Intel SSDs that went bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    I put two in RAID0 to run WoW from and a single for the OS. Wanted to get four to have dual RAID0 but would have had to wait for shipping.

Everything has been zoom zoom zoom so was just assuming the teenager at Best Buy did an ok job picking it out for me. These were replacing some Intel SSDs that went bad.
    I've been running my OS from the same raid as my games since I took the SSD plunge on 48GB Kingston SSDNow drives. I have yet to have any of them fail. I did limit the original 48 and 64GB models to 85% of capacity to give them spare blocks but I didn't do that with the 256GB 840 Pros. I'd pull the SMART data off of them but I don't think Samsung publishes the wear/life data publicly to determine accurately what the write amplification and such was on them. Also, I'm hearing from my OS guy that Win10 is the first Windows OS to fully support SSD optimizations, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    I've been running my OS from the same raid as my games since I took the SSD plunge on 48GB Kingston SSDNow drives. I have yet to have any of them fail. I did limit the original 48 and 64GB models to 85% of capacity to give them spare blocks but I didn't do that with the 256GB 840 Pros. I'd pull the SMART data off of them but I don't think Samsung publishes the wear/life data publicly to determine accurately what the write amplification and such was on them. Also, I'm hearing from my OS guy that Win10 is the first Windows OS to fully support SSD optimizations, so there's that.
    Mine didn't wear out from any sort of write-life as far as I know, they were fairly new. They just up and quit working, assuming one of the chips on board fried. One of the bad things of SSDs is I couldn't recover any of the data like on traditional hard drives. Goes bad, and your data is just gone.