Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 24

LOL I didn't realize it removed all the formatting after I hit post and I didn't think to pay attention on the confirm post page... and as far as Jesus being enthusiastic about paragraphs, I thought parables were his jam... lmao

Hi All,

I haven't been on the forum for a long time but wanted to add to the Garrison discussion.

The idea of running missions on followers appealed to me. It feels like I'm being "productive" on my alts when otherwise I probably wouldn't play them much. So when WoD hit I decided to focus on Garrisons and missions. I've been running 55 level 3 garrisons for a while now. Here are some random comments (and some comments on shipyards following):

- I typically do missions twice a day when I'm keeping up with things. Doesn't take too much time to roll through all the toons.

- Buildings are: Barracks (3), Bunker (2), Enchanters (1), Inn (3), Salvage (3), Storehouse (3), Trading Post (1)

- Initially I picked up followers while questing and then filled in to 25 via the Inn. Most of my initial recruits where Scavengers (there were no Treasure Hunters or Greesemonkeys then). On later teams I opt'd out of most quest or area followers and focused on mission reward specific followers from the Inn (Blook being an exception). My rule of thumb on later teams was a balance of 25% Oil, 25% GR, 50% Gold reward followers which seems to allow good coverage base on mission offered.

- My rule of thumb for recruiting was to recruit followers with the reward Trait as weighted above and having the lowest count of Ability within my current list of followers. I break this rule if a rare follower recruit has the second Trait that doubles up one of the mentioned above or Extra Training.

- Mission priority were Toon XP mission when I was < 100 on the toon. After dinging everybody to 100 then I would prioritize Raid > Follower Armor Tokens > Oil > GR > Gold > Epics > Follower XP. At some point you don't need Follower Armor Tokens but it takes a while.

- Toons are generally always parked at the mission table. About once a week I run them out to empty cache and dump excess GR (> 5000) by buying either Dust or Cloth (@ 4GR). I'd also visit the Bunker and pickup and requeue Work Orders for follower armor upgrade tokens.

- About once a month when I have more time I'll do the above but also convert all my armor scraps at the Bunker to a Thunderlord Sabatons and DE all of them to dust. Also during this run around I'll hit the scrapyard and open crates. I vendor everything from the crates except for WoD BoE epics and WoD crafting mats. I'll sometimes DE the 610 BoP blues because they vendor for nothing but produce a standard amount of dust but this too adds a lot of time to service all 55 toons. Just depends on my lazy factor that day.

This cycle is pretty self sustaining in that I don't lack GR and everything just seems to balance out between my gaming time and 55 toons. I've opt'd out of doing other activities such as Barn, Lumber Mill, Crafting Mats, Mining, Herb, etc etc because, for me at least, it doesn't scale to 55 Garrisons. It takes too much time to run each toon around for the reward. I tried several mixes early on but finally settled on this based on trying to keep all 55 Garrisons overall productive but not having to micro each team.

I thus far have enjoyed WoD a lot because of Garrisons vs say the past two expansions. When I have time to play I'd queue my 100 garrisons up with missions and then focus on leveling a < 100 team. It's odd to say playing WoW can ever feel "productive" but that's what garrisons added for me. Something always cooking in the background when leveling or not playing at all.

Shipyards...I'll add another post because they've been a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by GuildOfBunk View Post

- Mission priority were Toon XP mission when I was < 100 on the toon. After dinging everybody to 100 then I would prioritize Raid > Follower Armor Tokens > Oil > GR > Gold > Epics > Follower XP. At some point you don't need Follower Armor Tokens but it takes a while.
    What do you need the extra oil for?

For me with my toons doing shipyard missions nonstop the oil still builds and builds, never at risk of running out.

So Shipyards.

When the patch hit that added Shipyards I was fairly disappointed because of the level of micro management (running around) that each toon required to get the Shipyard started initially and then eventually to run naval missions was/is high. So, at first, I decided to not even mess with them. Follower missions kept me happy.

Well, at one point I decided to just focus on my mains an went down to boxing 1 account vs 5. I ran LFR on the different classes to see WoD content and mix things up for a bit. Anyway, during this time I decided to fart around with Shipyards on my mains. What I didn't know early on was eventually you get the Admiral's Compass and then at Shipyard 3 you get the naval command table in your garrison! So...when I started to 5 box again I started Shipyards.

Whereas the time commitment to get 55 level 3 garrisons was, for me, not too too bad; The time required for Shipyards is painful BUT it is doable. I started doing these late. I'm only running level 3 shipyards on 1 or two teams. 3 teams haven't even started shipyyards and the rest mostly level 2.

Random thoughts:

- The blue BoAs and the raid epics are nice but overall the rewards from Shipyards (i.e., Gold) is no where near as fruitful vs follower missions.

- Shipyards do not appear to be self-sustaining with Oil (where follower missions with GR are). I'm not 100% on this yet because my Shipyard 3 toons don't have the best mix of followers (i.e., not a lot of Greesemonkey followers). Once other teams with better follower mixes get Shipyard 3 then I'll see. I also don't have the Rep required to get the Oil Rig on any team.

- What this means is having to running the Rep/Oil daily in TJ. For teams that are starved on Oil I'll sometimes do the daily. But what I've been doing (again a lazy factor and a time factor here) is I simply park them and run follower missions exclusively for week(s) until they have collected a solid amount of Oil and then I'll park them exclusively at the naval mission table until they run out of Oil. In a world with unlimited time I'd do the daily and follower missions and naval missions but the micro to run everybody around takes time so I try to minimize this and focus on just keeping all 55 toons busy...somewhere.

- Admiral's Compass is rewarded at Seaman which requires 50 (any type mission). One optimization may be to run only low cost Oil (50) missions until you get the Compass and thus can ping-pong between follower and naval missions without a lot of micro movement of teams. The alternative is to grind the 15 (any type) naval missions to shipyard 2 then the 25 treasure missions to ding shipyard 3. The rub here is the 25 treasure missions all require a minimum of 75 oil each which adds up plus the Oil required for new ships as you level up. I'm not sure what is best as this time as I'm still try each. Another alternative is to build up enough Oil by doing the TJ daily and follower missions until you have enough to ding level 3 shipyard and then camp the naval command table until then. I'll try to report back what seems to work best in the future.

- I run any naval mission with a success rate of >= 85%. I've only lost a couple ships.

- Forgetting the leveling optimizations mentioned above I try to run the BoA blue token treasure missions as a priority over everything else except the raid treasure mission.

- I had one toon run around and do the raids/quests to get the blueprints for the rest. Only the rep one is not available across accounts.

That about it for my brain dump on shipyards. Again, I'm still working on them so I'm learning more as I go. But at this time I do feel the rewards from shipyards aren't even close to that from follower missions.

If you have questions ask away. I lurk a lot here and have always found this site and the multiboxing community to be a great learning resource. For example, today I learned about loot-a-rang!!! Gotta get my Engineer on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    What do you need the extra oil for?

For me with my toons doing shipyard missions nonstop the oil still builds and builds, never at risk of running out.
    For naval missions. I will run out unless I do the Oil daily.

Are you running the oil daily? Do you have an Oil Rig?

For naval missions. I will run out unless I do the Oil daily.

Are you running the oil daily? Do you have an Oil Rig?
    Yes I have an oil rig I use two elf crews and add fishing nets, so I can do the oil rig every 4.5 hours. They return fish with the nets but mostly after the chance for the turtle mount.

I forgot about the 4.5-hour oil rig, thats why I am not running out.
    Last edited by JohnGabriel : 02-25-2016 at 06:13 PM Reason: Calculation error

I don't even bother with the shipyard on most of my alts, too much of a hassle to set up, farm the blueprints, get the right traits (dwarf/goblin), have enough oil, and prob the most frustrating part is getting that rare 2000g mission to spawn on an alt with a weak shipyard. I believe that mission is once a month per account, so for me no point in having more than 1 lvl3 stacked shipyard per entire account.

edit: oh and the risk of failing a 98% mission and losing both ships lol
    Last edited by i5000 : 02-25-2016 at 10:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by i5000 View Post
    edit: oh and the risk of failing a 98% mission and losing both ships lol
    This was changed in a previous patch. Now the higher the success rate the lower the chance of losing a ship, at 90% success rate you now have 0% chance of losing a ship.

Ah I must have missed that, don't think its worth testing either. I just assume my ships won't come back from any mission and hopefully pleasantly surprised =).

About once a month when I have more time I'll do the above but also convert all my armor scraps at the Bunker to a Thunderlord Sabatons and DE all of them to dust.
    Heh, I have 110x Dwarven Bunkers, and I did not know that you can actually vendor that stuff you buy with the scraps. I have never used the scraps for anything, so my toons have hundreds of thousands (edit: around 66k) of them Thanks for the heads up!

Also during this run around I'll hit the scrapyard and open crates. I vendor everything from the crates except for WoD BoE epics and WoD crafting mats. I'll sometimes DE the 610 BoP blues because they vendor for nothing but produce a standard amount of dust but this too adds a lot of time to service all 55 toons. Just depends on my lazy factor that day.
    Vendoring non-WoD BoEs might be risky, because some of those items have very high market values (some old world BoEs goes over tens of thousands gold)
    My each toon have max level Salvage Yards, and I've installed Tradeskillmaster3 addon, and a desktop app for it. The app runs on the background, fetching the latest market values for all items in-game.

in TSM3 you can set up groups for items, and then attach certain operations to each group. I have one giant group called "BoEs" which contains all the BoE items ever introduced in game. I have attached TSM Vendoring operation to that group, so whenever I click a button, the TSM3 vendorsells all items (in that BoE group) which have market value less than 500g (dbmarket or whatever, you can change it many ways), and more valuable items just sit tight in my inventory.

This makes my life in Salvage Yards so much easier, and I don't accidentally ever vendorsell BoPs, tradegoods or anything because the selling is limited to that certain BoE group. Setting up such a huge group wasn't something that can be done in 5 minutes, but I wrote a php tool which converts a wowhead search into TSM3 string, which can be then imported into TSM3 addon. Wowhead limits the searches to 1000 items at once, so I divided that large group into smaller subgroups, based on item levels.

The tool: https://bq.kapsi.fi/wow/TSM/wowheadurltotsm.php
    The source: https://bq.kapsi.fi/wow/TSM/wowheadurltotsm.txt

I always log 10 toons at once, the leader forms a raid, and the slaves join leader's garrison, and then they all just spam crate opening macros on leader's SY, once in a while selling everything not-so-valuable, and so on Quick and efficient.

Enabling 110 Salvage Yards was a bitch thing to do though. The pre-quest required to pick up 1760 items from the ground in total..
    Last edited by beeq : 02-26-2016 at 12:09 PM