Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New Build

Blog Entries

Default New Build

Some weird happened and I ended up with a Skylare build. I put it together on Halloween, now I'm looking at adding a few things to "finish it off" like a second 980 TI, some more storage for my Steam library and maybe a water loop for the graphics. Super happy with how it turned out though, here she is.

Here's the parts list:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M7 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card
    Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case
    PSU: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
    OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional OEM (64-bit) / Linux Arch Dual Boot
    AIO Fans: Corsair Air Series SP140 Quiet Edition 49.5 CFM 140mm Fan (2)
    Case Fans: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM 120mm Fan (4)
    Headphones: Superlux HD668B Headphones
    Monitor: AMH A409U UHD 40" 3840X2160 16:9 4K LED Monitor 60Hz

It went together really fast, and worked beautifully from the word go. I'll be adding another SSD for my Steam drive, as for the machine I built over the summer? It's going to a good friend of mine. Finally convinced him to give up his Laptop gaming ways and move on to a big boy gaming platform. Below are some pics of the rig itself, along with my OC/Benchmark results from the Tek Syndicate GPU Benchmark thread.

As you can see the AMH A409U is a MASSIVE monitor, I've pretty much retired my triple monitor setup at this point, though I plan to go with a secondary monitor in portrait mode to the side for keeping up with Twitch chat, things like that.

The observant among you might notice something odd about this, my exhaust fan isn't moving because a hose from the AIO has made contact with the blades. I didn't catch this early, and so this morning my machine overheated. I decided to redo my overclocking and benchmarks since obviously my results previously were likely somewhat skewed, those results are posted below. I would also like to note how annoying the green LEDs are on this board. However, that's basically the only shot I can take at this board, it's otherwise beast mode incarnate.

I really like the rear IO lighting for my setup.

And here's the Benchmarks, after I got my cooling situation under control I toyed around with the settings on the MSI OC dial, it appears that it changes base clock settings as well as the CPU clock. So, I wanted to get it sorted out before I started messing with the GPU. All told I got a monster OC on this thing, enough so that I'm seriously considering doing a custom water loop when I add the second TI.

Still sorting out my battlestation and peripherals, I've been running this mouse/keyboard combination for the better part of a decade now and I'm starting to notice. The speakers in the pictures also died very recently, they were cheap but they also lasted me a LONG time and multiple computers.
    My Blog: SRS Business

Fantastic!

Hoping to finish my new build sooner than later, as well.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Why would a single fan (of the four(six?)) cause an overheat?
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

@MiRai thanks! I've been keeping an eye on your progress on Youtube, looking forward to how it turns out. I've got a few personal touches to add to this one before I call it done. I'm going to be doing a custom lit panel to replace the NZXT logo at the bottom of the case. And of course the second TI. I definitely want to sleeve all those PSU cables, I just need to get enough time.

@Ughmahedhurtz The fan was the only exhaust fan, so all of the heat was literally just building up and leaking out slowly. I noticed a 20 degree drop with the fan going, it was significant.

I'm keeping an eye on it, I'd also boosted the voltage previously. So probably a combination of the increased voltage and the lack of exhaust.
    Last edited by Hor : 11-11-2015 at 06:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Hor View Post
    @Ughmahedhurtz The fan was the only exhaust fan, so all of the heat was literally just building up and leaking out slowly. I noticed a 20 degree drop with the fan going, it was significant.

I'm keeping an eye on it, I'd also boosted the voltage previously. So probably a combination of the increased voltage and the lack of exhaust.
    Ah, I see. If you have a spot for it, I'd definitely recommend adding another; redundancy in something like that is always a good thing. And fans are dirt cheap compared to CPUs/GPUs/HDDs.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

Yeah, I'm good now. I've got 6 fans in the case. 1 is the dedicated exhaust. 3 120m fans in the front for intake. And 2 140m fans up top for the radiator. I actually may get a 140 for the back since it's got room for it. The fans I'm using are pricey, but I wanted good/quiet ones. And since the radiator isn't doing much in the exhaust department, I feel like just getting the biggest exhaust fan I can might be worth it.

My advice though, for anyone doing a build in the near future. If you're doing a top mounted radiator like mine, pay close attention to where the hoses are going. I had to orient my hoses toward the front to resolve my fan issue in this case, I doubt the problem would be much different in other cases. However, the 110i GTX is a remarkable cooler and not nearly as loud as I expected, in my experience the pump noise from water cooling is usually a deal breaker but this configuration is quiet enough that it's almost inaudible over normal room noise.