Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Question Focus dependant casting

I would like a macro to do the following:

Code:
    If I have a focus, cast spell #1 on my target.

If I do not have a focus, cast spell #2 on my target.
    That is to say, I would like to cast a different spell on my target, depending on whether or not I have a focus. Is there any way to do this?
    Firetree, Alliance.

Adiabat (Prot Pally), Isochor (Holy Priest), Isobar (Frostfire Mage) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Corpsebréw, Corpsebrèw, Corpsebrêw (3x Death Knight) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Femtotank (Prot Warrior), Femtoheals (Disc Priest), Femtosummons (Demo Lock) <Active, 105>

I'm almost positive there is no way to cast a specific spell on your current target, based on whether or not you have a focus set. The best that you can do is to check if a target exists, and then cast a spell on that same target.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

You could probably fake this with a gimpy sort of multi-step macro. Just set up step 1 to "hang" or fail if you have no focus, and step 2 will work if you have a target. THen just have that key rotate back and forth every other keyup/keydown. Would be highly dependent on how things fail, though; might end up being too much trouble with regards to targeting things.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Actually this is very easy.

/cast [@focus, exists] spell1
    /cast [@target, exists] spell2

Macros fall through to the first castable spell. Just tested and works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    Actually this is very easy.

/cast [@focus, exists] spell1
    /cast [@target, exists] spell2

Macros fall through to the first castable spell. Just tested and works fine.
    He didn't say that he wanted to cast on his focus, just that he wanted to cast a specific spell at his current target based upon whether he had a focus target or not. However, if that's the case, then your macro can be shortened to:

Code:
    /use [@focus,exists]spell;spell
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Right you are, I read that too fast. My bad.

But this sounds like much more fun than actually play WoW right now, I decided to put a bunch of thought into it and came up with two possible solutions.

Idea#1:
    First I created a macro and placed it on an action bar.
    /cast spell 1
    Now the main macro is this:
    /click [@focus, exists] MultiBarLeftButton1
    /stopmacro [@focus,exists]
    /cast spell 2
    If you have a focus it casts spell 1 and if you have no focus it casts spell 2. Change MultiBarLeftButton1 to the button you place the first macro.

Idea#2:
    Create two action bars, one filled with the spells you want to cast when you have a focus, the other filled with the spells you want to cast without a focus, then you use these macros to set/clear focus.
    /setfocus
    /changeactionbar 2
    /clearfocus
    /changeactionbar 1

That's interesting... I was under the impression that /click couldn't handle conditionals. Did you try that one out to verify?

That's a very elegant solution, John! I hadn't thought of putting conditions on /click. I'll try that out tonight.

If it turns out that MiRai's suspicion is correct and that /click can't handle conditions, I've come up with another idea that I can try. I'll have more to say after I have a chance to try these things in game.
    Firetree, Alliance.

Adiabat (Prot Pally), Isochor (Holy Priest), Isobar (Frostfire Mage) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Corpsebréw, Corpsebrèw, Corpsebrêw (3x Death Knight) <Retired at 80 during WotLK>

Femtotank (Prot Warrior), Femtoheals (Disc Priest), Femtosummons (Demo Lock) <Active, 105>

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    That's interesting... I was under the impression that /click couldn't handle conditionals. Did you try that one out to verify?
    Confirmed working on my pali. Found no problems, even switches spells if you remove/add a focus while in combat.

I checked the /click description here and it says it allows all the regular macro options:
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/MACRO_click

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    Confirmed working on my pali. Found no problems, even switches spells if you remove/add a focus while in combat.

I checked the /click description here and it says it allows all the regular macro options:
    http://wow.gamepedia.com/MACRO_click
    Well, that's fantastic.