Close
Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Question New build with OLD server motherboard

I have retired my old office server and it will be the main Multi-box machine now. I don't use anything fancy just keyclone, Jamba, assist macros. I have been wondering what would the the optimum install for it? Don't want to break the bank, I also don't want to mess with trial and error. I would like to get it right the first time.

The old graphics card (HD6950) worked good enough for main gaming computer has been moved to server with 32 gigs ram. With a single 2.33GHz XEON 4 core processor with socket free to install a second if needed. Its not the fastest machine but it should handle 5 games with ease. Being that is an older MB not sure when the bottleneck will be.

http://www.asus.com/Commercial-Serve...GCDW/overview/

OS installed on its own drive, then install wow on separate?
    1) SSD drive
    2) standard RAID ARRAY
    3) SSD in RAID

Quote Originally Posted by Yewtink View Post
    OS installed on its own drive, then install wow on separate?
    1) SSD drive
    2) standard RAID ARRAY
    3) SSD in RAID
    With modern SSD controllers (Intel, Samsung, etc.) the write amplification problems are largely solved such that you don't have to run your OS on a non-SSD drive. I run my OS and games on two Samsung 840 Pro SSDs in RAID 0. It smokes.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I'm a little surprised you were able to max out the ram with a single cpu. It's been a good five years since I worked at Dell, so maybe the engineering limitations have been fixed, but back then, systems with more than one cpu had it's own memory bank for each processor.

I agree with Ugh. SSD's are beasts. You're not going to wear one out playing games. I've been running two SSD's in a raid 0 on my gaming pc for about three years now. "It smokes"

After posting this I jumped on Ebay and found (2) matched X5470s I believe for $100.

I'm a little surprised you were able to max out the ram with a single cpu. It's been a good five years since I worked at Dell, so maybe the engineering limitations have been fixed, but back then, systems with more than one cpu had it's own memory bank for each processor
    I had tons of trouble with this MB until a BIOS update came out months later. Not sure its actually using the full 32GB ram. The BIOS sees it and Windows sees 32GB.

Back to the SSD drives anything I should be looking at or avoiding? I haven't bought for performance in mind. My experience has been SSD hell ya, buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yewtink View Post
    Back to the SSD drives anything I should be looking at or avoiding? I haven't bought for performance in mind. My experience has been SSD hell ya, buy.
    Samsung 840 or 850 Pro, IMO. You can get faster, but you'll be hard pressed to get anything more reliable at that price point.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)