Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Monitors

Blog Entries

Default Monitors

Wondering what you guys are running, I don't see any talk of monitors here and all things considered I can see this as being a pretty big deal.

I'm currently deciding between a Wasabi Mango UHD420 (42 inch 4k) and an AMH A399U (39 inch 4k). As I've been building up my main rig I've ended up on a pair of 980 TIs. I'm thinking for boxing having such large singly screens could be a great benefit for boxing.
    My Blog: SRS Business

I have been thinking about the AMH A399U myself.

I have the WM UHD420 and it's fantastic. I should get around to doing a small review of it sometime in the near future.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    I have the WM UHD420 and it's fantastic. I should get around to doing a small review of it sometime in the near future.
    No issues? I was looking at Amazon and in the product description they have
    *This monitor may have up to 5 dead pixels*
    *AH-IPS panel has Little Light Bleeding*
    I assume all monitors have a certain number of dead pixels and its not just LG specific, since it has over 8 million of them. Unless Amazon is selling re-manufactured or returned items.
    http://www.amazon.com/WASABI-MANGO-U.../dp/B00YA5IZS0

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    I assume all monitors have a certain number of dead pixels and its not just LG specific, since it has over 8 million of them. Unless Amazon is selling re-manufactured or returned items.
    Disclaimer: This is a very quick reply and not a full review by me or anything like that. There wasn't much proofreading.

Amazon isn't actually selling them, and it's a third-party seller who sells them direct from Korea. I bought mine off of eBay about two months ago and was well aware of the mess that I might end up getting myself into, but the overseas Korean monitor market has been around for awhile, and a large majority of peoples' experiences have been nothing but positive over the years. These monitors are not ultra-perfect grade A panels and that's why they're a lot cheaper, and while I don't have a specific link handy at the moment to describe exactly where the monitors come from, I'd recommend reading up on these types of monitors on forums like overclock.net (here's a link to the UHD420's OC thread).

You pretty much always take a risk with dead pixels on any monitor/display since every manufacturer has their own dead pixel policy for what is allowed and what isn't, and it's generally in the fine print. However, my UHD420 arrived with zero dead pixels on it. I also talked both crum1515 and Kicksome into buying a WM UHD420 from the same guy on eBay, and while crum1515's had a small cluster of dark pixels which he claims is hardly noticeable unless he's looking at something very bright, Kicksome's display doesn't have any defects. For the record, crum1515 got some money back from the eBay seller because of that discrepancy, but could have asked for a replacement (he just didn't want to wait).

As for the light bleeding, I imagine they're referring to "backlight bleed," which I'm not even entirely sure I know what that is. If you Google backlight bleed you're met with a range of different images and people trying to explain what they feel it is, and then you've got others talking about how "IPS glow" is completely normal—So, who's right?

Either way, here's what I can tell you about the IPS panels I've owned over the past year...

If I eliminate every light source in my entire apartment and make it pitch black, and then put a fullscreen motionless black image on the screen... there is some glowing around the edges, but it's certainly not anything I ever notice during actual use of the display in any normal, everyday environment.

Here are some other reviews/unboxing of the WM UHD420:

PCPer
    Tek Syndicate (just watched this today and it's pretty spot on)

Now, there's one issue with this display that neither of those reviews talk about, and it's the fact that there is a slight portion of the monitor that looks as if it's "cut off" when viewing it from an angle (video). To be completely honest, I was not ready for that when I purchased the display, and if there was anything about the display that made me regret the purchase... that was it. However, I initially adjusted my desktop resolution through the nVidia Control Panel (no idea how to do it on AMD), and everything was perfect after that, but a few weeks ago I reverted back to the full 3840x2160 resolution and I'm totally fine with the edges of the display being a bit weird. In fact, I barely notice it at this point, and if it was to ever become a problem, then I'd just switch back to my 3802x2138 resolution and everything would be 100% perfect again.

I should probably work on an actual review sometime this week or something since there seems to be more people interested.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Thoughts on ultra wide monitors 21:9? I have often thought of going back to single monitor boxing.

I have been looking at a few 34" ultra wides

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post

There is an ISO standard for pixel defects in flat panels. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_92..._pixel_defects

Of course any manufacturer seller can specify their own policy and do not have to abide by the ISO standards at all, but certainly when the older ISO standard was in force, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_13406-2, and the LCD market was young, it was quite common for a brand new expensive LCD panel to have pixel defects under the ISO standard, and the monitor would not be replaced, especially if the defects were not in the "centre" area of the screen.

Blog Entries

I'll be buying through dream seller on eBay, he comes highly recomended from the guys at Tek Syndicate and a few other places. I'm pretty much set on the Wasabi Mango at this point. The thing that keeps me going back and forth is that the AMH A399U appears to have better colors/richer blacks. Since I will be doing some graphic work for class, this is a bonus. Then there's the "firmware update" for GSYNC/FREESYNC being added to the Wasabi, and a larger screen (though not by much) and it becomes a more interesting race again. For the price they both seem solid.

For my secondary screen I'm probably going to stick with a Monoprice 24inch 1080p screen, it's cheap and pretty slick on it's own. I'm likely going to have it in portrait mode to the side for web browsing and chat.

For Ultrawide, I've heard good things about this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1QKx7IDw6Y

Here's the Monoprice screen for reference for anyone looking for a cheap 1080p.
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_i...cB&kpid=112178
    My Blog: SRS Business

Quote Originally Posted by Hor View Post
    The thing that keeps me going back and forth is that the AMH A399U appears to have better colors/richer blacks. Since I will be doing some graphic work for class, this is a bonus.
    I haven't heard anything about the A399U having better colors since it's a VA panel (I also haven't been reading a lot about it), and any IPS panel should be superior to TN/VA when it comes to color accuracy. As for deeper and darker blacks, yes, that's generally what you get with TN and VA panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Hor View Post
    Then there's the "firmware update" for GSYNC/FREESYNC being added to the Wasabi,
    It is a firmware update for FreeSync only.

Is this Korean monitor a new thing? i just looked it up and it amazes me how cheap they are for how good they seem to be ( according to reviews ) And will this help bring the american/jap prices down?
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )