Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    Is this Korean monitor a new thing? i just looked it up and it amazes me how cheap they are for how good they seem to be ( according to reviews ) And will this help bring the american/jap prices down?
    You probably just didn't know they were Korean companies. LG and Samsung have been around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    As for the light bleeding, I imagine they're referring to "backlight bleed," which I'm not even entirely sure I know what that is. If you Google backlight bleed you're met with a range of different images and people trying to explain what they feel it is, and then you've got others talking about how "IPS glow" is completely normal—So, who's right?

Either way, here's what I can tell you about the IPS panels I've owned over the past year...

If I eliminate every light source in my entire apartment and make it pitch black, and then put a fullscreen motionless black image on the screen... there is some glowing around the edges, but it's certainly not anything I ever notice during actual use of the display in any normal, everyday environment.
    My 8-year-old Doublesight DS-263N (which was pretty awesome for ~$650 when I bought it in 2008) in a pitch-dark room:
    20150826_002057.jpg

My Asus PB278 (you can see the edge of the DS screen next to it):
    20150826_002026.jpg

And that's with the DS brightness at ~20% and the Asus at 0%. The Asus is an LED-backlight versus the fluorescent backlight of the DS. Off-axis viewing greatly pronounces the corner "bleed" on both. The DS wasn't that bad when it was new, and it actually had the best black levels of any of my displays; the LED backlights are a ridonculous improvement, especially in bright rooms.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    I haven't heard anything about the A399U having better colors since it's a VA panel (I also haven't been reading a lot about it), and any IPS panel should be superior to TN/VA when it comes to color accuracy. As for deeper and darker blacks, yes, that's generally what you get with TN and VA panels.

It is a firmware update for FreeSync only.
    Here's a good video doing comparison on various 4K monitors, it should be noted that this video is a month old and appears to be from prior to the Freesync Firmware update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnblEQ0AeLg

As for G Sync, I mention it for two specific reasons. First, people are already working on a third party work around as mentioned in the Tek Syndicate video to enable G Sync. How that will pan out, no idea - but if a firmware update can enable FreeSync then enabling G Sync is at least a possibility. Also, there's the recent VESA recognition of FreeSync which I could see pushing NVIDIA to do something, one potential move being to stop being childish and actually move to the standard themselves.

The WM appears to be the winner in general, my only concern is physical dimensions as my desk space is limited.
    My Blog: SRS Business

Blog Entries

Also, for an eBay listing selling monitors this is the one I've had recommended to me from Tek Syndicate and other sources.

http://stores.ebay.com/Dream-Seller

Quote Originally Posted by Hor View Post
    Also, for an eBay listing selling monitors this is the one I've had recommended to me from Tek Syndicate and other sources.

looks like a price war between a couple of sellers. 530-535 with free shipping. I might have to pull the trigger

Blog Entries

Yeah Fat, I've found the prices on eBay are generally a bit lower than what you'll find on Amazon. And the people selling on Amazon, are generally selling on eBay too... so... yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    My 8-year-old Doublesight DS-263N (which was pretty awesome for ~$650 when I bought it in 2008) in a pitch-dark room:
    20150826_002057.jpg

My Asus PB278 (you can see the edge of the DS screen next to it):
    20150826_002026.jpg

And that's with the DS brightness at ~20% and the Asus at 0%. The Asus is an LED-backlight versus the fluorescent backlight of the DS. Off-axis viewing greatly pronounces the corner "bleed" on both. The DS wasn't that bad when it was new, and it actually had the best black levels of any of my displays; the LED backlights are a ridonculous improvement, especially in bright rooms.
    If I was buying a display today, then I'd consider the top picture to be unacceptable. I've never experienced anything like that, but some people on the numerous threads I've read consider any type of glow around the edges to be backlight bleed (and therefore "broken"), and from what I understand the severity of it can shift depending on the angle of the camera (as you mention), or even the camera itself. I just think the Amazon seller puts that in the description because of so many people complaining about the, in my opinion, completely acceptable bit of glow that can be present on IPS panels.

As for G Sync, I mention it for two specific reasons. First, people are already working on a third party work around as mentioned in the Tek Syndicate video to enable G Sync. How that will pan out, no idea - but if a firmware update can enable FreeSync then enabling G Sync is at least a possibility. Also, there's the recent VESA recognition of FreeSync which I could see pushing NVIDIA to do something, one potential move being to stop being childish and actually move to the standard themselves.
    I only replied to your prior post so that people don't buy the display thinking that it has GSync when it doesn't currently have it, and may very well not have it in the future. I didn't know that hacking firmware/drivers was something that people were doing to add GSync to specific displays these days?

I know that the guy in the Tek Syndicate video was hinting that someone should try to make GSync happen through a hack (if even possible), but I certainly don't want to chance bricking my expensive display just because I used some unofficial hack from some random person on the internet, and then hope that nVidia doesn't purposely fix it in an updated driver because they might want to protect their proprietary technology.

dream-seller does not sell Wasabi Mango displays, and sticks to other panels, such as CrossOver or AMH (both which are VA). accessorieswhole, among others, sell the Wasabi Mango, but you also have to look at which version of the panel you're buying because several eBay sellers are still selling the older HDMI 1.2 model, which is cheaper, but isn't compatible with the FreeSync firmware update as far as I know.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Blog Entries

For the AMH variety, there's a new version. This one is a true 40 inch, also it does not come with the tempered glass (no deglassing ftw). It also has some advantages over the older model at a slight increase in price. Fortunately, I haven't purchased my new screen yet, been saving up. There is currently no FreeSync support, or anything for this one. They have however added the ability to do a firmware update on this one, so it's possible something like that might be on the way. I'm going over my upgrade list now and monitors, this one looks like the direction I'm going.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-AMH-A...item4af02c0757

Blog Entries

Version 2.0 of the AMH A409U has recently become available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMH-A409U-Ve...IAAOSwGotWoHEf

The biggest difference between this and the previous version appears to be the number of HDMI 2 inputs.

I got the previous version back in October and absolutely love it. I'll be keeping an eye out for similar monitors to update this with, as I expect Microboard and a few others to have refreshed screens shortly.

I'm planning to add a pair of screens to my setup this year, possibly another A409U though I wouldn't mind an ultrawide screen that matches the bezel nicely. And another screen to the side at a 90 degree angle so I can have Twitch chat open, etc while I box.

This all has me looking at mounting options more seriously as well. Mirai, I know your setup has evolved a lot do you have any thoughts on mounting options for these monster screens?

This all has me looking at mounting options more seriously as well. Mirai, I know your setup has evolved a lot do you have any thoughts on mounting options for these monster screens?
    I would look at the weight of the monitor, and then find an arm suitable to hold it. Also, check the VESA mounting size and make sure you can find a plate that works with your arm. In my experience, a nice heavy duty arm that is going to hold 22+ pounds (10+ Kg) reliably is probably going to be expensive.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology