Close
Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Default New Build on a budget

Hey all , just thought id put up my new build im going for see what you guys think, im currently 5 boxing wow with no intentions of going anymore than that.

Im currently using

i5-2500k - no overclock
    1x GTX 670 GPU
    8 gig ram
    Windows and wow are running on a 500g SSD

New Build is

i5-4690k
    Corsair Hydro Series Liquid CPU cooler
    MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Mobo
    1x MSI GTX 980 GPU
    16 gig ram
    SSD and ill probly get a M2 SSD also to run games on.

Im hoping to get much better performance in-game with this new build is there anything i should consider before i order this ?

I would have liked to have gone with the i7-4970k and a 980ti but at the moment this is all i can afford and living in Australia we seem to get ripped off when buying computer parts.

Also the new rig will have windows 8 on it , how many of you are going for windows 10 when it comes out ?

Cheers

Why liquid cooling on the CPU? Seems like needless expense and risk of catastrophic (and messy) failure.
    Why move from a 670 to a 980? That's usually a budget-blower right there.

The CPU, yeah, I can see that. And upping RAM from 8GB to 16-32GB is definitely a winner.

Here's why I ask those first two questions:

My system:

* i7-2600K w/Noctua NH-U12P SE2 CPU Heat Sink With 2 Noctua Fans (avg. temp 5-boxing + netflix = 47-59C)
    * Intel DP67DE reference board (no sexy logos or laser-cut, finger-slicing heat-sinks, but I cannot kill this thing)
    * 32GB 1600MHz RAM
    * GTX580 3GB
    * 2x256 840 Pro SSDs in RAID 0
    * 3x Scythe S-Flex silent 120mm fans
    * Your basic CoolerMaster Centurion case

I run 5x 1080p windows, with main at about 90% of Ultra and 45-60fps everywhere, with some clever macros to limit the background windows. And I watch Netflix. And I surf the web.

How much of a performance bump are you expecting or desiring?
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Im hoping for a decent performance bump, when in-game i have noticed that the GPU Memory clock and core clock are at 90-95% and it seems it got worse in Tannan Jungle ? This locks up my machine for a second or so sometimes when im near a rare spawn with a lot of other players around, and thats with all accounts on low settings in DX9 in 1080p. Mabey just the first time ive seen players in a zone in WoD lol.

I thought the 980 would be a big improvement on the 670 ? Having 4gb of memory and higher clock speeds.

What resolution are you running your clients?

[edit] It's also possible your SSD is dying, which causes hangs when paging in new graphics. You might try running https://www.attotech.com/disk-benchmark/ and see if you're seeing expected performance or something odd.

[edit2] Or, it could just be your 8GB is running out and it's paging to disk. :/ Sorry, should have keyed on that earlier. If your performance is generally fine except for those momentary hiccups, RAM or disk is the most likely culprits.
    Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz : 07-25-2015 at 04:52 PM

Well i went and bought 2 8 gig ram sticks and it has definitely helped my machine, and also a friend upgraded his computer and had a i7 3770 he didint want anymore so i dropped that in my computer, which should see me out untill next expac when i will upgrade the whole thing.

One question i have the old ram i took out was only 2 x 4 gig sticks the new stuff was 2 x 8 gig , they are the same MHZ would they work if i put them in also ?

Quote Originally Posted by Syferr View Post
    Well i went and bought 2 8 gig ram sticks and it has definitely helped my machine, and also a friend upgraded his computer and had a i7 3770 he didint want anymore so i dropped that in my computer, which should see me out untill next expac when i will upgrade the whole thing.

One question i have the old ram i took out was only 2 x 4 gig sticks the new stuff was 2 x 8 gig , they are the same MHZ would they work if i put them in also ?
    Maybe, but it is rarely recommended to run mis-matched memory modules in the same system. Two obvious caveats:

1) you may have to do something like clear CMOS to get the motherboard to reset and properly identify all of the modules.

2) If it does work, it will run all of them at the lowest common denominator of timings, which may make the faster sticks unhappy and cause strange problems.

It's easy enough to try it out; just go grab something like Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/download/) for your OS and run the torture test overnight with all of them installed to see if you end up with any crashes. If not, you oughta be good.

[edit] Eh, with 2x 4GB and 2x 8GB, not sure that's even going to work. I find that the Intel Reference motherboards do a pretty good job of compatibility, whereas the consumer brands (ASUS, Gigabyte in particular, etc.) tend to be quite a bit more finicky about which brands and speeds of memory they'll accept.
    Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz : 07-31-2015 at 08:31 PM

Yeah i dont think ill worry about it , was just a thought, thanks for the help Ugh