Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default 5 man Magic Damage Over Time Madness - Has anyone ever tried this?

This is something I'm planning to try soon, but I'm unsure of what the exact composition will be yet:

Not saying this is the most optimal or easiest comp to run, I'm doing this for fun. My goal is just to get a lot of magic damage over time for both single target and AoE damage.

I was thinking of this:

2 Balance druids
    1 Shadow Priest
    1 Demonology Warlock
    1 Affliction Warlock

In terms of damage over time, all provide strong damage except the demonology warlock, of which the single target is mostly cast spells.

Affliction warlock is pure DoT, for the shadow priest I would go for the DoT playstyle (as opposed to the DoTless or Dot Weaving one). The druids provide both over time and straight up burst damage.
    Everything except the Shadow priest provides insane AoE damage over time; Stellar flare + Starfall + Moonfire + Sunfire + maybe Hurricane as well for the druids, Cataclysm + Corruption for the Affliction warlock, Cataclysm + Doom + Immolation Aura + Meteor Strike from the Abyssal/Infernal + Hand of Gul'dan for the Demonology Warlock.

The Demonology warlock, besides the good AoE and single target, is mainly for tanking. Couple with Nature's Vigil x2 + Vampiric Touch + the many other self-sustain abilities that all of these classes have, I feel like this makes for very decent overall survivability.

Also, this isn't a 'pet army' type of comp, but as a side, it has quite a few pet abilities: 2 Doomguards/Abyssals, 2 Imp armies, 1 Mindbender.

What do you guys think?

As a side note, here's some things I've done in the past:

-1 prot pal, 3 BM hunters, 1 resto shaman (straight up OP)
    -5 prot pals (hilariously effective for leveling, a little less end game, but still viable)
    -1 prot pal + 4 enh shamans (decent, but difficult to maneuver at times)
    -5 shadow priests (PvP)
    Last edited by DustMB : 06-22-2015 at 09:43 AM

Probably better running:
    Guardian/balance druid (dual spec)
    Shadow/disc priest (dual spec)
    3x affliction warlocks

I'm running similar, (just using a blood dk rather than druid). Not too keen on the amount of balance proc management required.
    Levelling was easy mode.
    Level 100 instances need reasonable gear on the tank and healer to work well.
    World PvP is awesome with this combo

The problem I see with shadow priest and affilicion warlock is that the dots themselves don't do a whole lot of damage outside of cd's, and if you get strong dots up dungeon mobs simply don't live long enough. The days from dot up and forget are long gone, unfortunately.

What ilevel is this at? and to what ends? Even with heirlooms dungeon leveling your going to be crushed compared to tank+healer/hybrid+dpsx3 ... questing sure, but you can do with with naked wanding.

As mentioned, dualspec trinity <-> all dps is the way to go ... always always do this .. maximize tri-spec if possible for two characters.

I see the target swapping to be a big problem with the dot issues, the dots are just to short ... most everything trash will die before your power word pain ticks.

I've had a shadow priest + 4x Affliction WL combo for a long time.

you can throw tons of DOTs on multiple targets and therefore pull half of the continent.
    main problem is: the mobs gonna die but while they are dying, they attack you.

This isn't a problem in the old content where the attacks nearly don't hurt but in a lvl 90-100
    questzone 3+ whirlwind mobs in a group of casters make your group die instant.

Thats why I switched them to shadow + 4x destro to kill single mobs instant.
    | Keyclone + AHK | Alliance | EU | PvE |

Blog Entries

This would seem fine for bosses but bosses are all very puny while leveling, trash with dot mobs would take forever and make you want to die.