Close
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 30 of 34

Quote Originally Posted by Hor View Post
    I haven't decided on the software I'll use, but ISBoxer definitely looks promising, I just know nothing about it at this juncture.
    The reason I keep asking this is because ISBoxer, by default, is going to run all of your game clients at the same resolution. This increases the load on your hardware, but also allows you to take advantage of 1:1 mouse broadcasting, as well as other features of the software—Other software solutions don't do this unless you set up each region of your layout to be the exact same size. However, you can easily disable this in ISBoxer at the cost of losing some features if you're fearful of how it will impact your machine.

Does a 2/3 split across 2 machines like I have listed above sound reasonable?
    Sure, but again, if you're going to be using ISBoxer you won't be able to utilize some (one?) of its features across both machines. If you had multiple GPUs (you said you weren't going to, but I'm mentioning it anyway), you could always split the load between the two GPUs on a single machine, or you could use SLI in windowed mode to help boost performance if you stuck with nVidia.

And are there any serious hurdles to be aware of in terms of the software?
    Nothing that comes to mind, but I've personally never bothered with a multi-computer setup, and, in my opinion, such a setup is generally a hurdle in itself when you're trying to sync things like your UI and whatever else across two machines.

I have plenty of experience with KVM between multiple screens (I'm going to have 3 wide, with another mounted top/center for monitoring external systems like the server, streaming, etc).
    I've always used a software KM like Input Director, Synergy, or Mouse w/o Borders.

Originally I had considered boxing on a single machine, however knowing that I need a second machine for work anyway, it seems best to try to make it work on two rather than 1 to utilize the resources I have.
    I can understand that. I also have two machines right next to each other at the moment, with the possibility of adding in a third to help with my video editing, but I still only ever desire to multibox using one machine.

A quick note on power/video, I'm definitely sticking with a single video card. And I've heard the criticism of using smaller PSUs on bigger cards before. It's understandable, however despite how power hungry video cards can be I've found that they haven't really risen as sharply in how much they require from generation to generation, (it's actually gone down in places) this is almost certainly due to advances in tech. For example taken directly from the NVIDIA website:

Minimum System Power Required for a GTX 970 or 980, 500w
    Minimum System Power Required for a GTX 960, 400w

Minimum System Power Required for a 770 or 780 Ti, 600w
    Minimum System Power Required for a 760 is 500w
    Minimum System Power Required for a 750 Ti, 300w

I will be upgrading to a 750w PSU, next month most likely. So, I should have ample overhead for a solid card. Actually, after having done more research I'm pretty certain I'll be going for a 900 series card, which seems to be not only more powerful in general but less power hungry.
    In my opinion, unless you're comparing a "generation" of a certain node, to the same "generation" of another node, then the comparison is slightly flawed. For instance, the 700 series (minus the 750 Ti) was all on the Kepler node, whereas the 900 series is on an entirely different Maxwell node which was praised for being able to save power compared to the prior node. You also have to look at the power connectors of the GPU which dictate how much power the GPU can pull. GPUs with 2x 6-pin connectors (first-generation 900 series) only use 165W at most, whereas the more powerful GPUs tend to use either 6+8-pin or 8+8-pin (or more) and are going to use upwards of 250W (second-generation 900-series and 700-series).

I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume that each new (nVidia) generation is going to use a little less power than the prior node, but only during the first generation of that node. For example, the second generation of Maxwell is the GM200 chip which is currently used in the Titan X and, soon-to-be 980 Ti—Both of which will be using more power than the first-generation Maxwell GTX 980/970/etc, and will be on par with power requirements from the second-generation Kepler node (780 Ti, Titan Black) because they use the 6+8-pin configuration.

Disclaimer: For the record, whenever I say 900-series or 700-series, I am only ever talking about x60, x70, x80, or higher, GPUs. Anything below an x60 in terms of nVidia GPUs is not a gaming GPU in my opinion (no matter how much GDDR they try to sell you with it), and even using an x60 GPU is going to force you to cut down video settings in order to reach favorable performance levels while multiboxing.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Blog Entries

MiRai, you've given me a lot to consider. I wonder what your thoughts are on this card.

MSI Radeon R9 290
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

It appears to be pretty good bang for the buck, $240 after MIR. Even without the MIR it's cheaper than the 770.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?...SI-GTX770&c=CJ

I ask, because I was seriously considering streaming. I was originally intending to use a Raspberry Pi for the streaming, which as I understand requires an NVIDIA card to make it work. But, if the Radeon is significantly better performance for the money, I'd rather go that way and just add a card to another PC or something to stream in the future.
    My Blog: SRS Business

In my experience, NVidia cards have lower power draw, are cooler and quieter than the equivalent performing card from AMD. Other than that, AMD cards can be good, and there are certainly those that swear by them.

I do like my 3GB 7970 (or an R9 280 if you want the newer designation), but only because it has 4 DP connections, which I use to drive 3x 2560x1440 displays, rather adequately, even while running a 6 * 2560x1200 LOTRO team (the odd resolution is due to my window layout which is designed to leave me with 2 displays, which I can use for other things or shut off). I can max out the settings in game, and this does strain it a fair bit (usually means shutting down most other applications), and drops down to around 17FPS during the average mob slaughter run. This does heat my computer room (12sq metre) to a toasty 26deg C, which would be nice if I lived in Antarctica, but I don't, so the need to run a aircon unit on a day where the outside temp is over 20deg is a bit frustrating. Funnily enough I don't run max settings on 6 clients most of the time, but settle for the main on almost max, the others on about average.

I can stream too, while playing, although I tend to get near the limit of the CPU here (i7 3770k). 6 clients, streaming, and a few background processes, means I need to be careful with what else is running to keep the stream FPS up, but it can fit within the performance envelope happily (more so now I've o/c'd it a little). I could probably do better here by using a second graphics card to offload the stream, or even another computer (I have one, just not the hardware for it). It might also be alleviated in some fashion if I switched to use the Lucid Virtu gumph. Personally I see it as an excuse to throw down and get me a 6 or 8 core at some point (which I might do if the prices on DDR4 ever come down to sane levels).

The biggest drawback that I know of, from a multiboxing perspective, is you can't do CrossFire in Windowed Mode, but you can with SLI. Yes there is plenty on conjecture and people who say they cannot, but then there are plenty of people who can, and have videos to prove it, along with other respected people to vouch for it too. This particular drawback only ever affects some people of course. It has dissuaded me from getting a second card. I''ve considered shelling out to go back to the green man, if only their monitor ports weren't so sucky (I dislike adapters), and the (possibly outdated) literature on SLI indicates it wont run SLI on 3 displays. Maybe when I can fund a 4k display to go with it.
    Last edited by mbox_bob : 05-22-2015 at 06:11 PM

Blog Entries

I think you've convinced me, the 770 looks like a good enough card but the Radeon is just a bit more tantalizing. Im looking into a larger psu, possibly a be quiet one as they've come highly recommended. We'll see, for now the 550w xfx and pny 560 ti will get me started again.

Are you buying a 770 with the intent on replacing it later, or... ? The 770 is just a hair shy of being two years old, and if you could scrounge together another $100 somewhere in the budget you could get a GTX 970 and, I'm guessing, be much, much happier (http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1355?vs=1037).

EDIT: In response to your prior post, I know very little about AMD, and I think bob answered the question more thoroughly than I could have.
    Last edited by MiRai : 05-23-2015 at 08:55 PM
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Blog Entries

I ended up with an offer I couldn't refuse, a pair of 290s for $200 from a failed Bitcoin miner. Now, I've got to find the proper psu to handle it.

Blog Entries

I got a pretty massive surprise, I ended up with more video cards than computers and enough cash to make something with some oomph. So, I'm going to be giving my setup a real think.im working out a 2k budget rig, I've got the cards for it already, so um thinking I'll take the money is spend there and get a dxracer chair, and probably a new headset/monitors. I'm definitely sticking with 1080p but with the surprise upgrade I have a feeling I won't be as limited in terms of what screen(s) I play on.

Blog Entries

Tomorrow I'll be building the machine, I'm just waiting on the OS and Motherboard. I've definitely decided to stick with 1080p for boxing, that said I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for 1080p monitors. I've decided on getting three, with a TV mounted top/center. My main concerns past the resolution are that either I'd like to mount it easily on an a or it should have the ability to tilt. Beyond that, smaller bezels are obviously a bonus. I'm keeping an eye on the new video cards this week for the main rig, but I'm fairly certain I'll be running a pair of 970s in it.

Blog Entries

Received the final part yesterday and finished putting it together, running smooth as silk so far.

This will be used for Streaming/Encoding. As well as logging my AH alt, etc on occasion.

Looks fancy.

With everyone building new computers lately... I may need to piece something together. >_>