Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 34
    Blog Entries

Default New Build Advice for 5 Boxing

Hi guys, I've been away from boxing since Wrath and now I'm in the process of building a new computer after my old one crapped out. Here's what I've got. Currently I have the motherboard, video card, hard drives, and memory listed below (all new except the card). The rest is what I came up with to finish the machine trough Newegg. Coincidentally, as I write this there's a 24hr sale on those Samsung SSDs for $99, they each come with a free stick of the G Skill ram listed below. Heads up if you're in the market.

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+
    Processor: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition, Visheera 8 Core
    System Storage: Samsung 850 EVO, 250g SSD
    Game Storage: Samsung 850 EVO, 250g SSD
    Mass Storage: Seagate 500g SATA HDD
    Memory: G Skill Ripjaws X Series, 4g (2x, 8g total)
    Video: PNY GTX 560 TI
    Power Supply: Rosewill Arc-M650 Series, 650w Modular PSU

I'm in the process of getting the last few bits together for the new machine, I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on how this should hold up five boxing? Also, as I intend to upgrade the memory and video card in the future, if you had any suggestions in that area. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Hor : 05-20-2015 at 02:15 PM Reason: Formatting
    My Blog: SRS Business

At work and unsure on my and system but your going to need more ram for sure

Blog Entries

Thanks ebony, I'm thinking I'll have the computer running in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking that in June I'll grab 4 8gig sticks, which will max me out on this board. It'll take that long for me to get my team all leveled. I'm going to be working on two or three different groups, ie got the accounts already so won't be going the raf route.

Personally, I'd use those two 850 EVO drives in RAID0 for both OS and games, which I do with my 840 Pros. I've done that with the last three pairs of SSDs and had no issues with it.

HDD_SDD_comparison_8-11-2014.jpg
    Last edited by Ughmahedhurtz : 04-22-2015 at 04:12 PM
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Hi Hor,

I run something similar to this system. Same CPU, Samsung 840 SSD, 8 Gigs, with a Radeon HD 7870 video card, can't remember the motherboard. It's worked very well for me five boxing through WOD, haven't really had any troubles at all. Although, I do have everything low on my slaves besides view distance. Main has a couple settings bumped up but certainly not many.

The 8 gigs are maxed out when I play, I noticed there is basically no memory available. But, I've played for about a year like that and haven't bothered to buy another 8 gigs. My 8 gigs are all one stick, two different sticks might increase performance, I don't know.

This was certainly a good budget system for me to start boxing again. I still feel the performance I get for the money spent was/is well worth it.

FYI - Five box dungeons, garrison, world boss. Three box (DPS) LFR with the other two toons in garrison. No PVP.

Blog Entries

Tanks guys, quick update: when I got to work cleaning parts I found the ASUS board was sadly fried. So, had to replace it. I'll update the parts list when I have the PC finished next week. Expecting the last parts to arrive Monday. I'm going to be trying Linux since my Windows money went into a replacement motherboard. I had intended to dual boot windows/Linux anyways so not too big of a deal.

Blog Entries

Tomorrow I place the order for the final round of parts, so I should be assembling thing soon. I have a newfound respect for the internet after discovering pcpartpicker.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($157.95 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($87.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5 Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5 Solid State Drive ($97.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB 3.5 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (Salvaged from Previous Machine)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($128.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.10 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($96.98 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
    Other: NZXT AC-GRIDP-M1 GRID+ Digital Fan Controller ($29.99)
    Total: $1098.81
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-19 16:29 EDT-0400

Also, I've decided to build a second machine very similar to this one to offload some of the work when I box. The second machine will only have one drive for example. And possibly a 6350 processor instead of the 8350.

One thing I didn't add here, I'm putting in Be Quiet Silent Wings fans, so it should be relatively quiet despite being in a cheap case.
    Last edited by Hor : 05-19-2015 at 04:38 PM

I used silent fans in mine and honestly, the loudest thing in it is the GPU fan by a wide margin, with either my older 460GTX or my new 580GTX. Second place goes to the PSU fan, which has to be bought as a "silent" supply unless you wanna do some interesting mods. Only thing louder than the NVidia cards is the ATI 9800 in Mom's machine; that thing turns into a small turbine engine in certain conditions.

Blog Entries

Yeah, a bud of mine built a machine with a bunch of Be Quiet stuff and I was really impressed, he decided on their Base 800 case. Which is nice, but I'm looking for something a little more compact since it's not going to be the only machine in the room. And a quick update...

I just got off with Newegg, I had to rma the motherboard and ram I'd ordered earlier. Would not post, everything was working fine (the PSU I got is a bamf btw). But the processor/motherboard just would not function. So, apparently somewhere between here and there one of the posts was bent on the CPU. I verified that BEFORE I sent it. So, a $180 problem for me. Which REALLY grinds my gears. I went ahead and got them to do a refund on the motherboard, deciding if I want to switch to an i5 instead of the AMD based system I was going to do before.

My current thoughts are:

MSI Z97-G45 + a Core i5-4590, if I do that I'll have to wait on getting the water cooler added. But being Intel, I don't think it'll be as big a deal either. Thoughts? It's either that or pick up an AMD FX 6350 and the MSI board listed above.

Out of curiosity, did you try booting the unit with one stick of RAM first and let it auto-detect speeds/etc., then populate the rest? I had to do that recently when upgrading RAM as it would absolutely refuse to post, beep, blink, make me coffee, or anything else until I removed 3 of the 4 and left just slot 0 installed. Once it booted, I was able to power it off and install the rest, no muss, no fuss.