Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Arrow In with the new, out with the old.

In with the new....

I am getting an entire new computer this year. You guys helped me pick out upgrades for it a couple years ago and I was really happy with the help, had no issues at all. But, I am getting old and just don't want to do that type of work anymore. Last time I opened up my computer I left my reading glasses in there and couldn't find them for weeks.

I just want to buy one already assembled, even bought off the shelf. Like Alienware or CyberPowerPC, are those companies good? Here is a link to a CyberPowerPC build within my budget (which is pretty much whatever). If you guys can look at it and give any advice on anything I could improve I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1GX9LU

Especially concerned if that's the right graphics card I want, and CPU/motherboard/RAM combination.
    Last edited by JohnGabriel : 04-11-2015 at 01:05 AM Reason: formatting

Out with the old....

UPDATE: My old system has been promised to another and is no longer available.

I will be giving away my current system free to anyone who needs. You will just have to pay shipping.

I am keeping the hard drives, so all you need is an SSD drive and operating system and you have a computer capable of 10 boxing WoW or 5 boxing Rift, without any issues at all. It is getting old though, not sure how many more years you can get out of it.

• Dell Alienware case 750W power supply
    • Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard
    • Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core CPU @ 3.40Ghz 3.70GHz
    • 16.0 GB RAM Patriot Extreme 4x4GB DDR3 1600
    • EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4Gig

Shipping payment will be in the form of IsBoxer subscription time or Rift REX. Lax even takes bitcoin now. You could also just come pick it up free from the Seattle/Tacoma area of Washington.

The boat anchor that Alienware calls a case is huge, weighing 45 pounds. I am happy to ship just the parts and recycle the case if you do not need it. Will save a lot if you have to ship it far.
    Last edited by JohnGabriel : 04-13-2015 at 10:07 AM Reason: Update on computer giveaway

Nice! I have i7-5830 and 780ti ( waiting for 980ti ) atm.. my PC rocks anything i play at ultra ( 1920x1080 res ) I am wanting to go to higher res game play.. so when/if the 980ti comes out i will upgrade my monitor to somthing with higher res+gsync

Gratz on your new PC! Also, its cool that your going to do give your old one away!
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

I hate that they have around 15 different motherboards within $40 of each other. I guess if I don't know whats what then I should just take the most expensive and hope that means its the best.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    Last time I opened up my computer I left my reading glasses in there and couldn't find them for weeks.
    >_>

I just want to buy one already assembled, even bought off the shelf. Like Alienware or CyberPowerPC, are those companies good?
    Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with either (or any system builders in well over a decade for that matter ), but I can tell you that they can be very expensive at times.

For example, in your current build, to upgrade from a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD to an 850 Pro 1TB costs $536, which is more than the drive itself retails for. In the US, an 850 Pro 256GB goes for ~$150, and the 1TB version of the drive goes for about $500. The difference between them is $350, but CyberPower charges almost $200 more.

In addition, they do price their GTX 980 accordingly (~$600), but then charge an extra $600 on top of that if you want the Titan X instead, which ends up making the Titan X cost over $1,200 at CyberPower when it retails for $1,000 if you were to purchase it standalone.

Of course my examples come with no tax or shipping cost (both of which can be common if ordering online from e-tailers like Amazon or NewEgg), but these are the little things that add up to make pre-built systems cost more in the end. I guess you're essentially paying for the peace of mind of having things tested and working beforehand, although anything could break in transit.

Here is a link to a CyberPowerPC build within my budget (which is pretty much whatever). If you guys can look at it and give any advice on anything I could improve I would greatly appreciate it.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1GX9LU

Especially concerned if that's the right graphics card I want, and CPU/motherboard/RAM combination.
    I can't answer if it's right for you since I don't know what you want or what your expectations are when playing games, but it's definitely more powerful than your prior machine.

I hate that they have around 15 different motherboards within $40 of each other. I guess if I don't know whats what then I should just take the most expensive and hope that means its the best.
    Generally, it does mean the best in terms of components that can be found on the PCB, but sometimes you pay the premium for little-to-no benefit in everyday applications.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

I took the printout to a local computer repair store and he is going to build me it for the same price. He did make recommendations as to the video card and RAM though. Instead of the Titan he offered options for the 970 and 980 that will work just fine for me and save money.

I found an image at nVidia that lists Relative GPU Performance
    lineup.png

My current 680 card works great for what I use it for so even a slight upgrade should keep me happy. While it shows the Titan X is twice the performance of my current 680 l will probably get the 980, the 970 seems it would be too small of an upgrade.

Blog Entries

Hey, I missed this originally but I had an AWWWWWWFUL experience with cyberpower pc (like blue screened when I turned it on for the first time awful). And then they wanted me to send it back for up to 6 weeks for repairs (again, its not a "repair" if it didn't fucking work the first time you turned it on). That was about five years ago.

I decided not to send it back but limp along repairing it myself for time reasons (again, it was going to take more than a month to repair) until I was given my current PC as a gift.

I have an Origin PC now though, that has been amazing. Not a single problem in 2.5 years. If anyone wants to do a pre-built I can't recommend anything I own more strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by luxlunae View Post
    [..snip..]
    I have an Origin PC now though, that has been amazing.
    [..snip..]
    Wow they look amazing, and started by former Alienware employees. I loved Alienware up until Dell bought them, but have nothing bad to say about Dell.

I went through the customize option just for kicks and they have similar pricing as all the others. I prefer Origin for that because they seem to have fewer similar choices and the techs have pre-picked the best options. I know I probably didn't explain that well, but its like you have 3 or 4 options the techs picked out to choose from, instead of the 25+ motherboard/ram/cpu combinations to choose from where you hope they work well together.