Close
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Showing results 41 to 50 of 51

Quote Originally Posted by Hor View Post
    I have a question guys, since there's so many new cards coming out with such a wide variance in terms of ram. Does having more vram benefit boxers? For example, five boxing on 1440 would you see 4g vram as a bottleneck, or would an 8gig vram card be overkill, etc. Just wondering where the sweet spot is atm.
    I'm going to say you should technically be alright with only 4GB as long as you're okay with turning down some settings, or using DX9. High settings in DX11 are going to eat through VRAM very quickly, and I've already been able to push 7GB in 1440 (with probably ~700MB - 1,000MB of that being added from Chrome). Now, that's probably a bloated number since a lot of games seem to load things into VRAM, and then not flush them out immediately if there is an excess amount of available VRAM.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

I ditch computers for a year and now i'm a dweeb-
    What's all the hubbub surrounding 'HBM' (4GB) vs DDR5 (6-12GB)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayley View Post
    I ditch computers for a year and now i'm a dweeb-
    What's all the hubbub surrounding 'HBM' (4GB) vs DDR5 (6-12GB)?
    Not much. HBM is good, but it's not the savior we were hoping for. It's faster than GDDR5, but it's only limited to 4GB, so if you are going to need more than 4GB of VRAM you're going to have to go with nVidia for now.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Blog Entries

Unless you get a 390.
    My Blog: SRS Business

Default AMD Fury X reviews and discussion

I just read this review and thought it might be appropriate to start a thread to discuss the card.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9390/t...-fury-x-review

My thoughts - Not a bad alternative to the 980 ti, but I would probably still pick Nvidia.

Quote Originally Posted by Hor View Post
    Unless you get a 390.
    The problem with the rest of the 300-series is that it isn't new—It's been re-branded with some extra VRAM. No doubt that if you're on a budget and need the VRAM, then a 390X is on par with a GTX 980 with twice the amount of VRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bollwerk View Post
    I just read this review and thought it might be appropriate to start a thread to discuss the card.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9390/t...-fury-x-review

My thoughts - Not a bad alternative to the 980 ti, but I would probably still pick Nvidia.
    I merged your thread with this one since this was meant to be the main GPU discussion thread for now—Somewhere that people can see what everyone is saying about everything. If you really want your thread back, then I can move it back.

I'm also going to update the first post with more information and sticky this thread.

MiRai , I think this needs an update for 2016
    having just watch Nvida's presentation of the new Pascal cards.... just mind blowing good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nanaE-vnjo8
    you need to watch all the parts to really get an idea just how good this new card is

Quote Originally Posted by Dadjitsu View Post
    MiRai , I think this needs an update for 2016
    having just watch Nvida's presentation of the new Pascal cards.... just mind blowing good
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nanaE-vnjo8
    you need to watch all the parts to really get an idea just how good this new card is
    You're right, the thread needs to be updated, but I was hoping no one would notice while I was procrastinating and waiting for reviews to show up.

As for the video, I was home being boring ol' me on a Friday night watching it when they streamed it live, but after reading everything that has been released about it so far, I doubt the GTX 1080 is going to be anymore than 20-30% better than the previous generation (980Ti/Titan-X), which is completely normal, and the first leaked 3DMark Firestrike run shows us just that. This means that if you have a nicely overclocked 980Ti/TTX, then you really don't need to worry about anything until Big Pascal (GP100) rolls around in Q1 of 2017.

Also, whenever JHH is talking about the GTX 1080 being "twice as fast as a Titan-X" he's referring to an internal nVidia VR benchmark that no one but them, at least at this time, can replicate (their Single Pass Stereo technology). So, unless you're going to multiboxing in VR, which might be incredibly cool albeit highly unlikely at this time, I would wait for the NDA on reviews to be lifted this Tuesday (5/17) before anyone starts canceling birthdays, anniversaries, or family vacations so that they can put aside $700 in order to grab a Founder's Edition GTX 1080 (AKA reference card), because that's all that is going to be available at launch.

I'm not trying to sound bitter, I'm honestly not, because I have obviously been buying nVidia GPUs for years now, but there are a lot of people who, after watching that event, are spreading a lot of fud and misinformation around as if the GTX 1080 is going to just decimate everything in existence as we know it... which I have a very difficult time believing based upon the launch of every GPU family over the course of the last 6 years, and also knowing how much nVidia likes to milk the shit out of people for their money. Again, the NDA for the GTX 1080 lifts on the 17th of this month (next Tuesday), and that should definitely let everyone know, myself included, where the GPU stands in terms of performance.

Quotes from my sources (in order):

The second benchmark we have is from FireStrike Extreme, which as you probably already know is rendered at 2560×1440 resolution. This is actually the first benchmark where you will see 1.860 GHz clock. In this scenario GTX 1080 (8959) is faster than typical overclocked GTX 980 Ti (~8700 points). However if we compare it GTX 980 Ti running at almost the same frequency (1.8GHz with LN2 cooling), GTX 1080 is actually much slower clock to clock.
    There are several new technologies in the Pascal architecture to improve the performance of graphics rendering for VR applications. These allow the GeForce GTX 1080 to perform up to 2x faster than the GeForce GTX TITAN X for VR Applications.
    "So, what is it? Well, when press got a chance to do Q&A with the staff over at nVidia, we kept asking, "So, what's the difference between the Founder's Edition card and the $599 card?" And the answer was: Nothing."
    The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" will be available on May 27 for $699. It will be available from ASUS, Colorful, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, MSI, NVIDIA. Palit, PNY and Zotac.

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    I'm not trying to sound bitter, I'm honestly not, because I have obviously been buying nVidia GPUs for years now, but there are a lot of people who, after watching that event, are spreading a lot of fud and misinformation around as if the GTX 1080 is going to just decimate everything in existence as we know it... which I have a very difficult time believing based upon the launch of every GPU family over the course of the last 6 years, and also knowing how much nVidia likes to milk the shit out of people for their money. Again, the NDA for the GTX 1080 lifts on the 17th of this month (next Tuesday), and that should definitely let everyone know, myself included, where the GPU stands in terms of performance.
    I'd like to present my visual interpretation of (i.e. agreement with) that paragraph:

chartabuse.png
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Blog Entries

I'm honestly thinking I will either go dual 1070s later, or grab a secondhand 980 TI and SLI with the one I already run since it's not like they're going to suddenly suck.
    My Blog: SRS Business