Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 37

Default Why Don't More Multiboxers Raid?

I posted a video killing The Butcher in Highmaul earlier today (http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...oxing-Highmaul) and it got me to thinking. Why don't more multiboxers raid?

I've had a blast over the last few years soloing raids. I love the challenge of trying to deal with all the devilish mechanics that Blizzard throws at us. Each fight is unique and every boss stretches me as I have to come up with new ways of dealing with them. Conquering content that was designed for ten+ individual minds and keyboards gives a feeling of accomplishment like none other in the game.

Raids have long been the pinnacle of PvE content in WoW and other MMOs and with LFR, cross-realm grouping, and multiple levels of raids (normal, heroic, and mythic), more WoW players than ever before are enjoying that content. I remember reading a comment from the Blizzard developers commenting that the vast majority of level capped players now raid. Raiding is the major thing that keeps most WoW players paying for their subscription. Yet expansion after expansion, I feel like I am one of the few (or only) multiboxer heading into raids.

Here are some reasons I can come up with that might explain this, but they all seem insufficient to me:

Raiding is too hard.
    OK, I admit there is a challenge there, but without a challenge games become stale. You can't make the argument that current level raiding can't be done by a multiboxer (http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/3...deo-Compendium)

It takes too much skill.
    If I am the person that is being held up as being uberskilled, I beg to differ. I don't have particularly fast reactions and it is embarrassing how basic my ISBoxer setup is. I'm certain somebody like Mirai or Lax would be able to do wonders and somebody like Ellay could run circles around me in PvP.

Getting sufficient gear to get started is too hard.
    Getting an average over ilvl 640 takes no skill and very little of your time in this expansion. Once you are at level 100 and have a basic garrison set up, logging in once a day for a few weeks gets you tons of ilvl 645 gear from follower missions (and maybe a few ilvl 655 pieces from Highmaul missions), running LFR for maybe 2 hours each week gets you a slew of ilvl 640 gear from the three Highmaul wings, and even un-upgraded profession gear can fill in more ilvl 640 gear wherever you have holes. With just a bit of skill, it is easy to farm normal or heroic Highmaul trash for ilvl 655 or 670 backs/belts. 30 min once per week to kill Drov or Tarina for ilvl 650 drops or doing The Pit daily and buying Apexis crystal gear are more easy ways to boost that ilvl.

I'm a boxer - I'm lazy and don't want a challenge.
    If this is true, I can see this being a valid reason for more boxers not to raid. I mean, it does give one a feeling of superiority when leveling up where you can push one button with totally unoptimized macros and everything dies. It is a bit of a shock when you enter a dungeon and face content actually designed for the number of characters you are playing. But I have a hard time accepting the basic premise that most boxers are lazy. We spend a lot of time getting teams set up and invest a significant amount of money in the game - in most cases we are the cream of the crop, not the bottom of the barrel.

I don't want to optimize macros.
    This is highly related to the above. Getting macros right does take some time, but enough of us have posted good macros on this site that copying and pasting them should at least give you a great start. (In fact, I'll post the macros I used in my Butcher kill).

I can't afford a great computer.
    I can see this as being valid for a minority of people, but it really just doesn't take much to be able to ten box effectively these days. I have two computers that are 2-3 years old and run 5-man teams on each with Input Director (software) to run them both with one mouse and keyboard. Pretty cheap.

Um... OK, I'm searching here and can't come up with anything else. None of the above explain why there aren't more multiboxing raiders.

Help me out - why do you think more of us don't raid? More personally, why don't YOU raid?
    10-boxing Alliance Sargeras and Kil'jaeden

I attempted to duo-raid with my husband in Wrath. Turns out he's not multiboxer material and gave up pretty quickly.

I never picked up solo raiding because I didn't want to invest anymore time or money in the game. Raiding never interested me enough to make the investment in buying and leveling another 5 accounts, especially once the release of new content slowed to a crawl. 5 seems to be my limit for throwing money at a game in an attempt to make the content last/hold my interest longer.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

i waas boxing raids with a few at the end of mop. i was boxing raids in wotlk with a other boxer as well.

raiding is not my main goal in wow its hard to get players togaver to raid as well. Maybe oneday ill 10 box.

I have been playing World of Warcraft from Day 1 way back in 2004.

Everything I have achieved and done seems to follow a logical progression.

Back in Vanilla I distinctly remember asking myself that there had to be a way to level easier thus my first dual boxing combo: A Paladin and a Priest. (Oh the good old days of alt tabbing).

I still remember the day when that became insufficient. It was is in The Lich King expansion. I needed to conquer more content thus 5 - boxing became my standard.

When Blizzard introduced LFR that could be done with 10 man teams; I then felt that 5 - boxing became insufficient; hence in Warlords of Draenor I moved to ten boxing.

I guess my point is that once I considered myself competent enough with what I am currently doing and the game presented little challenge I tend to crave more. What I do today really has been years in the making and up until recently I only considered getting into raiding. I avoided it mostly because I got tired of the raid rage I would get bringing 5 man teams into raids.

I know that I want to get to the point of competency with ten characters and join other like minded individuals (aka Multiboxers) to achieve even greater things. Imagine a 25 man raid with only a few multiboxers?! That was the main reason why I moved to the Sargeras server from my firmly established home on Wyrmrest Accord.

Nice little walk down nostalgia lane there, CDNProdigy.

One of the things you mentioned made me take my own little walk.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNProdigy View Post
    Imagine a 25 man raid with only a few multiboxers?! That was the main reason why I moved to the Sargeras server from my firmly established home on Wyrmrest Accord.
    Here's a video of three of us Multiboxers (me, Fishbeak, and Styrr) taking down 25 man Morchok with 24 characters when he was current raid content back in May, 2012:

If only they had invented flex raiding back then - would have made that kill 1/25 easier on us!
    Last edited by Mercurio : 01-14-2015 at 09:43 AM
    10-boxing Alliance Sargeras and Kil'jaeden

oh one more thing to add is the cost to ten box £100 a month is far to much for me to spend will see whats happens with the "new" starter accounts & o the the game time for gold.

But boxing raids with others is something am sure ill be doing!

The few occasions where I teamed up with fellow multiboxers were quite disappointing. The either showed up completely clueless about the encounters, unprepared in terms of gear (no gems/enchants when they were costing a couple 100g) or macros ... while I had different expectations/made pretty much all preparations possible. I wasn't really interested in raiding content that was 2 years old by severely outgearing and bruteforcing it. I have however taken 4 shamans into a normal raid back in cataclysm with my guild back then, but that didn't really feel right as this was a heroic progression guild (i.e. it was more for the gimmick that a boxed a few encounters than actually contributing).

The other possibility would be to 10 box: while it means I have to make some changes to my setup (don't really fancy bringing e.g. a 2nd computer into my living room) I've always considered 5 to be the ideal size of my team. And what stopped me from 10 boxing in cata was that a simple trivial raid mechanic on boss 2 of an instance could make it impossible to further progress, which would make a 10m team pretty useless for me as there is nothing else to do on your own.

And this might sound crazy, but I multibox raid encounters in my head all the time. For pretty much every boss I think about how a multiboxer should do the encounter. Then I check logs/fights/raid comp till I'm convinced it would work (and I have a pretty good background as a progress raider, so I somehow have faith in my own analysis). And the knowledge that the strategy I come up with would work is so far enough for me that I don't feel the urge of going through the hassle of actually doing it.
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Before starting, I want to be clear that taking down the Butcher was fantastic. Being the first to take down a raid boss is always a major accomplishment. That’s different to me than raiding it every week for the gear, badges, gold, mounts, whatever.

An alternate title to your thread might be “Why don’t more multiboxers join up for raids to do the one or two bosses we can take down in current content?”

I do think most people raid, it’s just older content, LFR and normals with other people. I know I’ve blasted through older content to get mounts and transmog gear. I think we did ICC 10 normal back when it was current and maybe a boss or two in other current raids. Other than that, like Zenga said there are only a couple of bosses we can do.

Is it worth setting up a 10 man profile, tweaking it and getting your system capable of handling it for one or two bosses you’ll run a couple of times? I can run 10 on my system and used to do it for older raids for the gold and more chances at mounts. I’m glad I can run 10, but I rarely do. Zenga, now you’re making me think about the value of it all lol.

Do you think you will do the Butcher for the next 52 weeks for gear that is 20 iLvls below you? Taking him down first is excellent, continuing to do it week after week for the gear, I’m not so sure.

If there was a way to solo all of 10 man Highmaul no matter how hard it was I think everyone would be trying it. The problem is there are major roadblocks that can’t be passed. Sure, get another person or two and it becomes much easier. Once you hit three or more people are you truly multiboxing at that point? And, as Zenga said it’s not easy coordinating with another boxer. One person to heal the group is great, someone running a 5 man team and coordinating it all? Not as easy.

I'm sure most people raid current content and run 2 to 4 people at a time through LFR and normal. If you try to do much more than that you start hearing the complaints, even if your dps is decent.

Now, should we join up more and try to help each other clear raid content? Sure. But, part of the fun for me is trying to solo everything. Like everyone else here, I have a few close friends that play who will jump on to help me with more difficult stuff when needed.

I’m still going to try and do the Butcher now that you've shown it can be done. Will I make that the primary thing I do when I have time to play? Probably not.
    Pally, mage, druid, priest and shaman on Staghelm.

5 boxed some raids with another 5 boxer at the time back in wotlk. it was fun, but I completely burned myself out on pve at that time. I got to the point where I could do the heroics in my sleep. it was great for the gold, but it got boring real fast. after that, I only did pvp - pve was means to an end.
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

For me, multiboxing is meant as a time-saver. Do more in the time I've given. With 5-toons, I can level up more characters at the same time and run my own dungeons and clear old raids with ease.

For to tackle current raid content is a huge time commitment and I just don't have the patience or time for it.