Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Question Working Out Best Setup

Hi!

So, I'm extremely new to dual-boxing and basically, I'm attempting to RAF with myself with two Battle.Net accounts. I know it might have been more intelligent to say, have both WoW accounts on the same Battle.Net account but well - I didn't realise that I could do that so now I have two and I've already invested time into levelling them.

Basically, up until now, I was using my husband's computer when he didn't need it, to start up WoW and then have my second character logged in and on follow to my main. Then, I ran around and hit stuff. It was a pretty slow and tedious setup so I've started to look seriously into dual-boxing to try and make it easier on myself... and to stop commandeering my husband's computer.

My computer specs are as follows:

AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core Processor (4ghz)
    16gb of RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 770
    Windows 7 Professional

I am also using the following peripherals (no idea if this information is useful but may as well lay out the basics):

Razer Naga 2012 mouse
    Razer Anansi keyboard.
    One 1920x1080 monitor - the second one is currently being used for something else.

I have three internal HDDs, one SSD and two external HDDs. For this project, I have copied my WoW folder onto a different HDD to where the rest of my programs live and have deleted all config folders (Interface, WTF and cache) so it's basically a clean install.

First question! I ran the ISBoxer quick setup wizard and obviously, the first issue I've run into is that it has automagically picked up my normal WoW install in my programs folder. So, I followed the wiki's advice and have now added my clean install WoW (from now on, will be referred to as WoWcopy) ; but I'm unsure how to re-run the quick setup whilst forcing ISBoxer to use my WoWcopy folder instead of my normal game.

As an explanation, one of the biggest reasons I have decided to use a WoWcopy folder is because my main game has ~100+ addons which are manually configured into a custom UI. I also run at obnoxiously high settings because, shinies, so I didn't want ISBoxer fiddling around with any of those settings.

Second; I am running this on one PC but I'll be using two different Battle.Net accounts - I own both though, so I'm hedging a guess this won't be breaking any ToS?

Third; Do I need to have two WoWcopy folders to run two instances? I don't have a virtual PC setup or any snazzy stuff like that, and I'm not keen on having ISBoxer start up two instances of WoW from the same folder if its going to make my computer have a RAM conflict. >.> I'm honestly not sure how ISBoxer accesses and uses the WoW folders so; any guidance here will be handy.

Finally, thankyou for anyone who can be bothered reading through my wall of text - your input and help will be greatly appreciated!

Yours sincerely,

~Kaliora~

p.s. OH! and this is my ISBoxer configuration thingie; albeit it's still using the old WoW folder and I don't know how to make it use my WoWcopy folder... http://pastebin.com/2dN8hWiU

Welcome, O Sister of the Gaming Clan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaliora View Post
    First question! I ran the ISBoxer quick setup wizard and obviously, the first issue I've run into is that it has automagically picked up my normal WoW install in my programs folder. So, I followed the wiki's advice and have now added my clean install WoW (from now on, will be referred to as WoWcopy) ; but I'm unsure how to re-run the quick setup whilst forcing ISBoxer to use my WoWcopy folder instead of my normal game.
    I just added my main WoW install as ISBoxer only adjusts character names and Resolution as I understand it. If you just add the wowcopy folder to Inner Space and remove the other one then it _should_ just look in the wowcopy folder. If you have both games in the IS list, it will probably scan both for characters when creating sets via the wizard. Joe can correct me if I'm mistaken. You may also have to launch the wowcopy game once and login to the character for it to create a WTF subfolder and files for ISBoxer to pick it up in the wizard.

Second; I am running this on one PC but I'll be using two different Battle.Net accounts - I own both though, so I'm hedging a guess this won't be breaking any ToS?
    Correct. It's not a problem. Everyone that boxes >8 WoW accounts has to use multiple bnet accounts since that's the max a single bnet will allow.

Third; Do I need to have two WoWcopy folders to run two instances?
    No. ISBoxer virtualizes just the main config file, allowing you to use the same folder for all of your instances.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

As Ughmahedhurtz stated, it's indeed no problem whatsoever as far as the TOS is concerned. However, you may want to consider requesting Blizzard to merge them for convenience though - something that should be no issue whatsoever if the contact details for both accounts are identical, so they can see they're yours.

Multiple WoW accounts on the same Battle.net account share things like mounts, achievements, pets and any 'Battle.net Account Bound' items (such as heirlooms, certain reputation tokens, etc.) can all be mailed between characters on those WoW accounts, which can be rather convenient. It also means your Battle.net / RealID whispers show up on all clients at the same time, which I personally quite like.
    Last edited by MultiBear : 01-01-2015 at 05:26 AM

Since I'm using the RAF account to level characters on a new server; it'll be a throwaway thing - not such an issue if I don't have heirlooms or whatnot.

If you want to point Inner Space to a different install, then you can either add it as a new game (right-click system tray icon > add game), or adjust your current Game Profile. Adding or playing from additional installs will require two things:

1) Adjusting your Characters' Game/Game Profile in ISBoxer -- Upper-left pane click on each Character > Lower-right pane adjust their Game & Game Profile.

2) Continuously redirecting the BNet launcher to your additional install folder(s) when it's time to update because it only ever updates the current install it's pointed at.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Since I'm using the RAF account to level characters on a new server; it'll be a throwaway thing - not such an issue if I don't have heirlooms or whatnot.
    Ah, fair enough!

Although when it comes to Multiboxing Disease, that's how it starts... *cackles*
    Last edited by MultiBear : 01-01-2015 at 05:56 AM

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    If you want to point Inner Space to a different install, then you can either add it as a new game (right-click system tray icon > add game), or adjust your current Game Profile. Adding or playing from additional installs will require two things:

1) Adjusting your Characters' Game/Game Profile in ISBoxer -- Upper-left pane click on each Character > Lower-right pane adjust their Game & Game Profile.

2) Continuously redirecting the BNet launcher to your additional install folder(s) when it's time to update because it only ever updates the current install it's pointed at.
    Hey! I watched your youtube series to help get me started =D

As for number 2, can I have an extra copy of the Bnet launcher to go with the wowcopy folder?

Quote Originally Posted by MultiBear View Post
    Ah, fair enough!

Although when it comes to Multiboxing Disease, that's how it starts... *cackles*
    =P We'll see how I go. ^.^

Welcome to the dual-boxing world.

Always nice to see new members.

Blog Entries

the addons you are running and game settings are by character unless you've managed some contortion to make them use the same files. You can easily use one installation and run minimal addons on your second character. I'd suggest using an addon control panel (you're probably already doing that at 100 addons) for easy toggling in game.

It shouldn't be a major issue with two boxes, but I did a post two years ago about using isboxer+addon control panel to load sets of addons based on what I'm doing.

http://www.dual-boxing.com/entries/2...-Times-In-Half