Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 38

Question The future of Jamba

Hello,

I have not had much time to work on Jamba recently. I also can no longer afford to multi-box (single income, child, saving for house, etc). I have been dual-boxing for the last two years only with the intention of supporting Jamba. These factors makes it really hard to test and support Jamba. When I do have the time to play WoW, I actually want to play WoW rather than work on Jamba! I've managed to support Jamba for six years. Thank you to everyone who has donated over this time. Your generosity has been appreciated.

So, it's time for me to let go and move on.

However, I don't want to leave Jamba in its current state. Jamba has become complicated over its lifetime. People have trouble getting a basic setup working. The recent failure of mine to implement cross realm support successfully for everybody has been frustrating for me and I'm sure many of you.

In order to remedy this I intend to simplify Jamba before I move on.

I would like to remove the following features;

1) The communications channel.
    This means your team list must consist of characters that are online. You can use profiles, macros or ISBoxer to manage adding and removing characters from a team.

2) Support for characters not in a party, raid or battleground.
    Jamba tries to accommodate your characters not in a party, raid or battleground. This added complexity makes it hard to make sure a message has been sent to all the characters and is causing issues.

And update the following feature;

3) Cross realm support.
    Characters will be stored with separate name and realm fields. A check box will be added to the team management interface for cross realm support. If you have a cross realm team, you will need to check this box and make sure all the realm names are correct. If you have a same realm team, realms will be ignored. Internally Jamba is going to rely on a characters global unique identifier rather than a name-realm pair.

The following features need to be fixed but I probably won't do them;

4) Quest support is broken due to WoD changes and I have not had a chance to investigate properly.
    5) I know that there is a lot more that needs to be fixed.

I want to solicit your opinions on how to proceed from here;

Do you want me to make the simplifying changes above?
    Should I just abandon Jamba as is?
    Do you have a better solution to the current state of the Jamba code base and the usability of Jamba?
    Should I try and revert all the cross realm changes and not have cross realm support at all?
    I will probably open-source the Jamba code (MIT License, not a fan of GPL).
    Ideally one or more developers would step forward and be willing to take over the Jamba development including the Curseforge and Curse sites. Anyone know any multi-boxing WoW developers?
    Other thoughts?

Cheers,
    Jafula.
    Jafula.
    Jamba - Jafula's Awesome Multi Boxer Assistant. An addon for YOU.

Totally understand - family/rl comes first.

I myself only used Jamba for the loss of follow warning, auto-repair with guild funds, duel refusal & the auto loot feature as it got round the wow bug with slaves getting stuck on looting. All my macros for interact with target, spells and so on I macro in the game using superdupermacro. So seeing those features stay would be fine with me. I hated the fact that the realm name had to show on the team list.. but I just resized it to squish as much of it out as poss.

Wishing you all the best for you and your family, and thanks for all your work on Jamba.

been with jamba for years now i find it hard to play without jamba but with all the probs i keep getting with it i do feel if its to much time try to get someone to help somehow? maybe talk to lax.

Do you want me to make the simplifying changes above?
    sure it could help
    Should I just abandon Jamba as is?
    Be sad to see it go but it might be better if you can not support it right.
    Do you have a better solution to the current state of the Jamba code base and the usability of Jamba?
    n/a

Should I try and revert all the cross realm changes and not have cross realm support at all?
    would suck now that a lot i know are using cross realms.
    I will probably open-source the Jamba code (MIT License, not a fan of GPL).
    ya could be good
    Ideally one or more developers would step forward and be willing to take over the Jamba development including the Curseforge and Curse sites. Anyone
    100% on this one i wish i could code lua, i played with it in minecraft in computercraft.
    Saying that i would love to have a go. I have been hacking jmaba code from the tips u gave me the other day. and got a few more bits to work. And i have a TON of free time.

know any multi-boxing WoW developers?
    Other thoughts?
    Last edited by ebony : 12-28-2014 at 03:09 PM

Quest support is broken due to WoD changes? I've been using it and since the auto-turn-in thing was fixed it has Just Worked for me through two teams all the way to 100 and one at ~93. Wonder what option is causing the issue(s).
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    Quest support is broken due to WoD changes? I've been using it and since the auto-turn-in thing was fixed it has Just Worked for me through two teams all the way to 100 and one at ~93. Wonder what option is causing the issue(s).
    The quest log management section, the Jamba bar that appears when you view the quest log, with track all, abandon all, etc is not working.
    Jafula.
    Jamba - Jafula's Awesome Multi Boxer Assistant. An addon for YOU.

Thank you so much for your time Jaf! Your addon has made boxing WoW that much better! It worked well with ISboxer, they are two peas in a pod imo.. I hope someone takes the torch. What would be great is if an MMO addict, like myself, knew coding/programming So Jamba could find its way into other great MMOs ( now and future )
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

great work over the years jafula - thanks !

clean up and mit release sound good

I'm a server side dev but I have not much knowledge of lua (am a c++/java dude) and even less in UI design/front end - and quite busy with work - hope someone else has bandwidth for this ! (maybe a mini jamba for isboxer)
    5,8,10 boxing wow with Wow Open Box and MAMA, give them a try!
    (was 8 Boxing Wow with HotKeyNet and ISBoxer)
    Join many boxers playing Classic on US PvP Alliance: <Epic>@Blaumeux
    Was streaming on twitch.tv/MooreaTv

Give a man a fish and you feed a man for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed a man for a lifetime. Thanks for all your hard work.
    Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it"

Give a man a fire he will be warm for the day. Set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.
    I don't suffer from Schizophrenia, I enjoy every moment of it !

Blog Entries

Thanks for all of your hard work over the years!

Yeah, definitely cut the not in party/bg/raid support if thats too complex for another dev to take over. Does cross realm support become a lot easier if you can guarantee that everyone is in the same group?

After all these years I primarily use the follow color bars (fucking phased areas) and slave cloned quest turnins. Duel refusal and guild invite refusal are also certainly helpful but not heartbreaking to live without.