Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Default Some CPU Questions, and do I need to upgrade

I've been playing WoD just fine with my 5 boxing team. I've had my computer for about 4 years now (I think). The only upgrades I've made over the years were the graphics card, ram, and SSD.

I can usually play at 30-60 FPS on my main on Max settings, and slaves on lowest settings set to 15FPS and lately, I've been having issues that I believe are CPU related, where one of my toon windows will start to drop closer and closer to 0 fps and freeze, and I've noticed when I use Open Hardware Monitor, one of my CPU cores will be reaching 100%.

Generally, the specific CPU Core is random, it's not always #1, #2, #3, or #4.

I've messed with a bunch of the ISBOXER settings for cpu, tried most of the different settings but it eventually happens.

Usually an in-game ui reload fixes it for a while, but within an hour, one of the wow windows will start freezing up. I have to catch the slowness and do a /reloadui before the FPS gets too low.

And just to include more info, my temps usually flux between 48C to max 58C.

My GPU always seems to not go very high. The load is always very low, like 20%.

Anyway, I don't know if I am need of a new machine completely... or just an upgrade to this machine. I did build this machine, but I am not the best at knowing what's best when it comes to hardware. I am open to either. I was hoping to attempt 10 boxing this year, so I doubt I can do so on this machine anyway, but possibly could do 5 on this machine in the future if I figure this out. I've never upgraded just a CPU before, so not sure if that's an idea or not.

These are the specs:

Asus P6T SE
    Intel Core i7 920 (2.67GHz)
    AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series
    SanDisk SSD 256GB
    12 GB Ram

If I need a new machine completely... does anyone have a parts picker list for something that could feasibly do 10 toons for PVE?

Thanks!

wakasm
    Last edited by wakasm : 12-20-2014 at 05:20 PM

Mine is a similar machine. 12GB, i7-2660k @ 3.4GHz. I use ISBoxer and have not been able to get good FPS from using the basic automatic setups. Always leaves one or two clients stuttering. I changed mine to the following manually:
    Code:
    All slots set to 60FPS limit foreground and 12fps limit background
    All clients are 1920x1080, DX11, relatively low settings.
    Core selections:
    Slot 1 (game) = 1/2/3/4
    Slot 2 (game) = 1/2/3/4
    Slot 3 (game) = 5/6/7/8
    Slot 4 (game) = 5/6/7/8
    Slot 5 (game) = 1/2/7/8
    Slot 6 (dxNothing) = 3/4/5/6
    That seems to give me the best stability, though capital cities still give me some lag/loading trouble, as does Warspear. I also had to go into all clients and reduce graphics options to just show the minimum I could live with, probably more due to me running an old GTX460 card than CPU.

I also have to be careful what I'm running apps-wise as I can trigger my Windows "out of system memory" warnings after a few hours of play pretty consistently.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

does the dxnothing need cpu slots ?
    I don't suffer from Schizophrenia, I enjoy every moment of it !

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodcloud View Post
    im chasing around a performance issue myself with EVE and Dxnothing, i have on my main client 75 incoming viewers which takes the FPS from 60 (max setting) to 35 when turned on.

I turned Present Interval (some form of Vsync) to Immediate and it still is occuring

http://i.imgur.com/KNmnQ45.png

but my CPU and Video usage appears to not be maxxed, so I cant ATM figure out what VFX needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodcloud View Post
    I have had mine set to 1 core only for some time and have not noticed any impact on performance.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

I usually set mine to 4 cores just like another game instance but I can't say I've done any testing to see what happens with other settings.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)