Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Question Back After break after cata whats the minimum spec required ?

Hi,

I am giving WoD a try again.
    Started isboxer launched 5 clients and i had 5 FPS ..... - WOOT unplayable.

Got 12GB of mem which was at 90%+

Whats the current spec to run 5 clients ?

my current spec is:
    CPU: Core i7 950 / 3.06 GHz
    GPU: ASUS EAH5870/G/2DIS/1GD5/V2
    MEM: 12GB

WOW folder on SSD

Also whats the cheapes way to "reactivate" my accounts ? (I am currently on the 10day free trial)

Cheers
    Bloodcloud
    Last edited by Bloodcloud : 12-17-2014 at 07:04 AM
    I don't suffer from Schizophrenia, I enjoy every moment of it !

The game doesn't eat up any more memory than it did before, which should be about 1GB per client, so if you're running out of memory then you should probably be checking for other things running in the background, like browser tabs, before starting up your game clients.

Your biggest bottleneck is likely your video card which only has 1GB on it -- I think 1GB would have been pushing it in Cataclysm after they re-did most of the textures for the old world. Your CPU is going to com after that since it's also old, but any modern day, mid-to-high range system can run five game clients at acceptable settings, and there are numerous threads/posts about performance in the latest expansion in the hardware sub-forum.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Thanks Mirai, I realized that my GFX card is very outdated I will consult the Hardware forum for the details.

What addons are people use these days ?
    I don't suffer from Schizophrenia, I enjoy every moment of it !

Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    The game doesn't eat up any more memory than it did before, which should be about 1GB per client, so if you're running out of memory then you should probably be checking for other things running in the background, like browser tabs, before starting up your game clients.
    Generally a good idea about closing down browsers and other memory hog apps, but in my experience the DX11 WoD client definitely takes up notably more RAM than previously. I used to be able to box MoP on 8GB but I find myself getting the Low Memory warnings on 12GB now. YMMV...

Example: after about 10 minutes of the portal quest, they're already creeping up to 1.2GB each from ~1MB at launchName:  10 minutes of questing.png
Views: 93
Size:  14.1 KB:
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I noticed a serious improvement when I went from a gtx 690 (better benchmarks) to a gtx 780ti. So SLI doesn't seem to be very effective.
    Sweet* teams - <unGankable> - Kil'Jaeden US Alliance - 10x Shamans, 9x DKs 1x Pally, 10x Drews

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    Generally a good idea about closing down browsers and other memory hog apps, but in my experience the DX11 WoD client definitely takes up notably more RAM than previously. I used to be able to box MoP on 8GB but I find myself getting the Low Memory warnings on 12GB now. YMMV...

Example: after about 10 minutes of the portal quest, they're already creeping up to 1.2GB each from ~1MB at launchName:  10 minutes of questing.png
Views: 93
Size:  14.1 KB:
    I see similar numbers just standing at the spot for new characters in Elwynn when running an almost 4K resolution in DX9:

http://i2.minus.com/ipNi1q0P1EeV6.jpg

I was leveling a team of Night Elves earlier today through Teldrassil and saw something like 1.3GB when I glanced over, but I can't say I've ever seen more than 1.5GB which was actually when I was running super-ultra+ video settings in a 1080 resolution. All of my numbers were when I was using DX9 because every time I run DX11 I run out of VRAM before I can get to high quality settings, so you're probably right that DX11 eats up more RAM (just like it eats up more VRAM).

Quote Originally Posted by Kicksome View Post
    I noticed a serious improvement when I went from a gtx 690 (better benchmarks) to a gtx 780ti. So SLI doesn't seem to be very effective.
    I would argue that SLI is pretty effective in WoW, and I definitely wouldn't be able to run 5x clients in an almost 4K resolution (sorry, I keep saying this) without my three-way SLI setup. I think if you grabbed another 780 Ti you'd be impressed with the results in SLI.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology