Close
Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Angry Weird Keyboard Issue... Can't Type a Question Mark

This is a weird misc issue.

I've tried asking on the wow forums, I've opened a ticket, I've tried a few other places, but since the multiboxing community is the smartest group of people most of the time, (maybe all the time!) maybe you can solve this weird issue I have.

I don't know when this started, but I only recently started noticing it.

It only happens in wow.

When I type a Question Mark - "?" - I get a | instead, as if I am typing shift + \, instead of shift + /

• At first, I thought it was something I messed up in isboxer - but it does it with all keymaps off.
    • I then thought it would be an add-on issue, so I tried turning them all off, rebooting, and restarting.
    • I use a G510s, and looked through all those settings, and can't find anything.
    • I've looked in the wow interface, but it only seems to happen when I type in chat. It does it for all 5 toons.
    • It works fine outside of world of warcraft. See, I can type ????????? all day long here.
    • ESET NOD Antivirus 6.0.3+ and scans show nothing weird.
    • I've looked in control panel for some weird kind of language setting on Windows 7.

When I try to set a hotkey in the wow interface, and try to set it as a question mark, it does show it set as shift + \

It's driving me nuts. I've tried many different searches on the subject, but I haven't found anything speciifc.

I was hoping there was something maybe someone here would know.

If not, feel free to move or delete this thread.

wakasm
    Last edited by wakasm : 12-16-2014 at 02:46 AM Reason: spelling

There's a bunch of suggestions here you can try -

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-1...ing-wrong-sign
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

You can try backing up then deleting the cache, Interface, and WTF folders.

as someone who travels all over the world and uses lot of shitty keyboards this sounds a lot of like a localization issue "Control Panel -> Region and Language" ... left alt + shift is that keystoke by default. make sure format (english), location (us), keyboard () and language (english-us,us) is right (my settings). in the last tab is has a 'copy settings' button that will show you all the settings on one page.

the arabic keyboard has a pipe for a left shift key.

if you have the flag app on your toolbar this is also where you rid yourself of it.

Thanks for the advice. So, most of the options here I tried before (and again to be sure I wasn't missing something)

This comment is the first clue where I've seen something different..

Quote Originally Posted by HPAVC View Post
    ... left alt + shift
    from HPAVE

When I alt + shift + /, in wow I finally get a "?".

In addition, I just want to reiterate this is only an issue in wow, and not in any other program. (Tried steam, a few games, email, browsers, etc). Keyboard Logitech G510s works normally in everything else. Tried this even after reinstalling, clearing the cache, interface, and wtf folder.

At least now I can get a ? mark in game, even if it's not normally how to do it, but it will still bug me forever why this is a WoW issue, and why it just started recently.

Here is a screenshot of my language settings, in case anything calls out as being off.

Name:  keyboard-lang.jpg
Views: 9229
Size:  167.3 KB

That Hot keys for input languages switch key sequence means it is switching when you press it. There is probably a hidden tray icon that shows you what language/locale you're set to. Those locale settings can be tough to noodle out and yes, they don't apply consistently especially in D3D programs unless the devs are conscious of it.

I remember having to do localization testing at Compaq/HP. What a pain in the ass.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)