Close
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 44

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Setting up a programmable keyboard to press F1 then F2 then F3 then F4 then F5 to automatically send inputs to all of the windows in the above example: not okay, this has not been okay, this will not be okay, no no no, die in a fire.
    Not really clear on what this means to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilyouknow View Post
    Not really clear on what this means to be honest
    It means pretty much what it says. Programmable hardware (e.g. just about any "Gaming" keyboard/mouse) can be configured to press several buttons in a row for you, including with delays. Combine that with the example line directly above it, where F1 is sent to one window, F2 to another, and so on. This would mean you press one button on your programmable keyboard to initiate, and then watch as keys are sent to all windows.
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer
    Video: ISBoxer Quick Start

was under the impression that gaming keyboards / mice were okay to use, is it specifically in conjunction with isboxer?

was under the impression that gaming keyboards / mice were okay to use, is it specifically in conjunction with isboxer?
    Macros are not legal and never have been legal. A programmable gaming keyboard/mouse operates via macros if it is playing back a sequence of keystrokes. If it is simply remapping F1 to a button on the mouse, that is legal, as it isn't a macro.

Solid definition of a macro -> a single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task.

Quote Originally Posted by gomeler View Post
    Macros are not legal and never have been legal. A programmable gaming keyboard/mouse operates via macros if it is playing back a sequence of keystrokes. If it is simply remapping F1 to a button on the mouse, that is legal, as it isn't a macro.

Solid definition of a macro -> a single instruction that expands automatically into a set of instructions to perform a particular task.
    I hate this grey area nonsense

Quick search of the Eve forums from people who have asked via ticket or general forum mongering, that keyboard macros are legal

Edit: can't find a more recent dev post on a forum but:

http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=to...readID=1321518
    Last edited by thedevilyouknow : 11-27-2014 at 01:50 PM Reason: website if its legal?

I'd venture at least 75% of the users here have a gaming mouse and/or keyboard. I myself have a g600 gaming mouse and previously used a Razer Naga. I am free to use MOST functions of the mouse in any game. What you can NOT do is use the macro functions in the mouse/keyboard {or whatever other peripherals} software to create macros or buttons that repeat an action on its own {either upon 1 press or while held down}, initiates a string of commands or otherwise violates a game's rules. There's nothing wrong with gaming keyboards/mice - it's using the automated functions of the software {which use loops/repeats/delays/strings} that is against the rules. It has nothing to do with ISBoxer or any program in particular, you can get banned for automating no matter how you do it. Just because a specific program is allowed {or even "not disallowed"} does not mean the rules change. The rules are always the first step and last step in the "Is this ok?" flow-chart.

Also keep in mind, automation is not exclusive to multiboxing. Automating is against the rules for everyone, thus the "automation guideline" of "1 keypress = 1 action." Even though it seems to get tied to multiboxers all the time, the only part that applies to us specifically is the addendum in each game that states whether or not that 1 action can take place in multiple windows at a time or not.

If anyone has questions about what is and is not automation, I'd suggest reading the WoW Blue Posts thread. Even though we are talking about EvE, they very explicitly and repeatedly explain what is and is not automation. Their definition is generally a good starting point for understanding what many game companies view as automated play/botting. Keep in mind, that's only a starting point; Blizz doesn't make the rules for the whole world.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

Here's the one directly from EVE forums, but pretty much says what Khatovar says above

"Hello there,

To make a long story short, automation of gameplay is not permitted; players must be manually issuing the commands to control their character(s) at all times.

Our stance on programs such as Synergy and hardware/software combination such as the G15 keyboard is that they can be legitimately used as long as gameplay isn't automated. Synergy allows you to move your mouse cursor to multiple different monitors which are hooked up to different computers and we do not have any qualms with players using the program for this purpose. If Synergy was used in some way to control your accounts for you without a need for you to be at your keyboard, then that would not be allowed, but I am not aware of such a functionality with this program. If Synergy is used in conjunction with some other program to automate gameplay, it would not be permitted. G15 "macros" which allow you to group different commands into one keypress are allowed. For example, setting your G1 key to press F1, F2, F3 and so on for you with one key press is allowed (although this specific command is not as useful as it was before now that we have weapon grouping).

An exceedingly complex G15 macro which would effectively automate gameplay, such as mining, without a need for the player to be present at his keyboard would be against the EULA, regardless of whether the player utilizing said macro is sitting at his keyboard at the time!

Lastly, multiboxing is allowed, and programs designed for multiboxing in mind which allow a player to manually issue the same command to multiple game clients at the same time are allowed. In the same vein as what has been stated above, the player must be manually sending the commands; if a program is automating those commands for you, then it would be considered a breach of our EULA.

I hope this clears up this matter."

http://oldforums.eveonline.com/?a=to...1414934473#274

Regardless of what the rules for hardware and the software that could tag with them are

It is simply a symptom of the disease, CCP's M.O for wanted to talk about any positive spin on the company and its game
    I.e. answering questions about new features, talking up ideas on reddit, hyping them up

But when it comes to anything possibly controversial (the grey zone) they dodge, don't return petitions and are generally evasive

Quote Originally Posted by Alex66 View Post
    For example, setting your G1 key to press F1, F2, F3 and so on for you with one key press is allowed
    Exactly what I was looking for thank you
    Last edited by thedevilyouknow : 11-27-2014 at 02:17 PM

Exactly what I was looking for thank you
    Note he also said "programs designed for multiboxing in mind which allow a player to manually issue the same command to multiple game clients at the same time are allowed" and now it is being reversed. So...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex66 View Post
    Note he also said "programs designed for multiboxing in mind which allow a player to manually issue the same command to multiple game clients at the same time are allowed" and now it is being reversed. So...
    Yes but that wasn't the part I was looking at

(lazyquote)If Synergy is used in conjunction with some other program to automate gameplay, it would not be permitted.(/lazyquote)

Synergy in this case being isboxer
    Other program, in this case being the keyboard button that presses F1-F?

The scenario I had in mind was to just use keyboard buttons to operate if for 1 stroke per client, not send a command to more than 1 client at once