Close
Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Default Suggest an Addon - WoD Edition

Ah, the tedium of returning to a game during expansion season or after an extended absence. You get all excited to log in and play, but you're met with dozens of errors from outdated addons. If you're like me {and MiRai} that means you get to spend the first week back looking for new addons to rebuild your once-perfect interface.

Since I'm not the only one back, I thought we could use a thread to help each other get updated.

• Got an addon that doesn't work anymore? Tell us about it and maybe someone can point you to a similar one - or perhaps even point you to a fix for the old one.
    • Find a neat new addon that you think people would really like? Let us know.

PLEASE, do not turn this into a massive list of every addon you use and why everyone else should do the same.

We already have mega-lists like that in a few places. If you want to talk about all your addons, the Blogs are a good place to do so.

Me -
    ISO a lightweight map addon. Something scalable with transparency options. I didn't use anything before, but damn this new combo map/quest log is obnoxious.

Also some of our other Old Timers might remember Super Duper Macro. I was really surprised to see it has been updated by the original author, so if you want an alternative to BindPad, there's that. I'll probably play around with it over the next few days and see if it's worth switching back to.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

Map Addons - Check Sexymap or Chinchilla.

Regarding the quest log (and it's location by default being attached to the map I'm assuming) - Check out MoveAnything. The only reason I initially installed it is to move than damned quest log, but eventually found it very useful for other functions.
    Resto Shaman + 4 DK's, work in progress...
    ------------------
    Teezy/Jaqblaq @ Stormrage
    Emeritus Guardian and Keeper of the no focus manifesto.

Been so long since I played I can no longer even remember the name of the addons I used.

Used to have one that let me add spells or macros to the party/raid frames for click healing and such. But no longer find it and have been making do with healbot, which seems sortof like it but it creates its own frames.

Anyone have any idea what addon I am thinking of?

Blog Entries

The thing that is really bugging me about the new logmap (maplog?) is that some of the old quests aren't correctly categorized, so some quests I HAVE PICKED UP in a zone don't even show up when I press L. I actually am liking the new smaller glowy circles on the minimap.

I'm having horrible problems with grid. Despite all of my grid extensions claiming to be updated I get "clearindicator: icontop does not exist" and "setindicator: iconbottom does not exist" chat log messages constantly (at least as frequently as I use spells that activate that indicator, like PW:S, which is my personal speed boost on priest, so "constantly" is not an exaggeration. I'm not interested in replacing grid (after seven years?!) but I will have to stop using the cool icon extensions soon if this problem doesn't resolve itself.

I'd like an addon that cleans out old addon data. Cruft is as pernicious in the wow client as it is in other things, like bug databases and the Windows registry.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    Ah, the tedium of returning to a game during expansion season or after an extended absence. You get all excited to log in and play, but you're met with dozens of errors from outdated addons. If you're like me {and MiRai} that means you get to spend the first week back looking for new addons to rebuild your once-perfect interface. .
    That's why I use an ui compilation like Relaui http://www.wowinterface.com/download...8-RealUI8.html One click on the first logon and everything will be set automatically. No need to move things around and lots of configuration afterewards.

I don't think I currently use any add-ons that I feel are "must have," but if I run across any I'll probably share them...

...OR MAYBE I WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    Been so long since I played I can no longer even remember the name of the addons I used.

Used to have one that let me add spells or macros to the party/raid frames for click healing and such. But no longer find it and have been making do with healbot, which seems sortof like it but it creates its own frames.

Anyone have any idea what addon I am thinking of?
    Clique or VuhDo?

Quote Originally Posted by luxlunae View Post
    The thing that is really bugging me about the new logmap (maplog?) is that some of the old quests aren't correctly categorized, so some quests I HAVE PICKED UP in a zone don't even show up when I press L. I actually am liking the new smaller glowy circles on the minimap.

I'm having horrible problems with grid. Despite all of my grid extensions claiming to be updated I get "clearindicator: icontop does not exist" and "setindicator: iconbottom does not exist" chat log messages constantly (at least as frequently as I use spells that activate that indicator, like PW:S, which is my personal speed boost on priest, so "constantly" is not an exaggeration. I'm not interested in replacing grid (after seven years?!) but I will have to stop using the cool icon extensions soon if this problem doesn't resolve itself.
    It's time to dust off the ol' Lua handbook!

Quote Originally Posted by zonorf View Post
    That's why I use an ui compilation like Relaui http://www.wowinterface.com/download...8-RealUI8.html One click on the first logon and everything will be set automatically. No need to move things around and lots of configuration afterewards.
    On the flip side, I prefer to build my UI from the ground up using a plethora of add-ons. I find it fun and rewarding creating a unique UI that, for the most part, doesn't look like anything else that's out there, but even after a major patch hits it's highly unlikely that every add-on is broken. In fact, it's highly likely that I can just enable the out-of-date add-on and keep going with no issues at all, but to each their own.
    Do not send me a PM if what you want to talk about isn't absolutely private.
    Ask your questions on the forum where others can also benefit from the information.

Author of the almost unknown and heavily neglected blog: Multiboxology

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    I'd like an addon that cleans out old addon data. Cruft is as pernicious in the wow client as it is in other things, like bug databases and the Windows registry.
    That's one of the nice things I like about Zygor guides. It has a button on the UI that will clean all old...oh... QUEST data. Yeah, old addon data is impossible. I think the only way to get rid of that is a new WoW installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Zzyzxx71 View Post
    Map Addons - Check Sexymap or Chinchilla.

Regarding the quest log (and it's location by default being attached to the map I'm assuming) - Check out MoveAnything. The only reason I initially installed it is to move than damned quest log, but eventually found it very useful for other functions.
    Those are only for the minimap - I use PocketPlot for that. I'm looking for something like Mapster or Cartographer that changes the world map frame. Might need to wait for some more people to write one, though, since the world map + quest log combo is new.

Quote Originally Posted by zonorf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MiRai View Post
    On the flip side, I prefer to build my UI from the ground up using a plethora of add-ons. I find it fun and rewarding creating a unique UI that, for the most part, doesn't look like anything else that's out there, but even after a major patch hits it's highly unlikely that every add-on is broken. In fact, it's highly likely that I can just enable the out-of-date add-on and keep going with no issues at all, but to each their own.
    Ditto what MiRai said. I haven't played in two years and there's very few of my addons that don't currently work. So far, there's 2 that weren't functional last night and I'm pretty sure they'll be up and running shortly. It's a minor tradeoff for having a UI that does exactly what I want, nothing more, nothing less. I don't need my UI to look impressive or pretty, I need it make it easier to manage my multiboxing. My needs being as particular as they are, a compilation will never fit the bill. I'd spend three times as long trying to figure out how to gut it and make what's left work the way I want it than I do finding a piece here and there and keeping it updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    That would be helpful. I just bit the bullet and put in a new install, then copied some of my SavedVariables for my more custom stuff - Pitbull, Jamba, whatever had a lot of setup involved - and started over with everything else.
    Last edited by Khatovar : 10-23-2014 at 11:08 AM
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _