Close
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 24

Default Getting Started in EVE

So I have completed on one account, the Military and Advanced Military lines and will be in my Gallente Destroyer, while I am also working down the initial 10 mission industrial line. I tried EVE before and didn't grasp the subtle nuances of its awesomeness but I think I am ready for the challenge. That being said I have read the EVE newcomers forum, about 3 pages of posts here in DB's EVE forum, read some EVE-University pages, etc... I have yet to subscribe an account as I am a few days into my new prime account.

So my question is when is a good time to add some accounts using the buddy system so I get more time and how did the pro's/more experienced players here get started.

I see there are lots of ways to play: ratting, pirating, mining + industrial ... is there a semi-standard path out there based on skill research training time + probably doing the intro missions for free ships + skills to get capable of being semi-self sufficient by the end of the trial period?

All that said I picked the Gallente line as it appeared to appeal to me the most with the drones and also the ship look.

Any advice before I start escalating my number of accounts and getting my ISBoxer set up to run it? I have watched quite a few of the videos here by Mosq2, Ughmyheadhurts and the other boxers that post here. Just looking to make it as painless as possible as finally I think I am getting what makes this game interesting and challenging.

Some good info here on missions: https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Missions_guide

I mostly did missions up through L4 when I was playing. Then did a bit of mining. I can't speak to the other 75% of the game.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

Some activities in this game scale well to 2-3 accounts, some activities scale to 5-10, and some scale to 20-40+. I'd research the general activities in EVE and try them solo with another group of people before multiboxing them.

Some activities that come to mind:
    Incursions
    Mining
    L4 and L5 missions
    Wormhole PvE
    Small gang or fleet PvP
    Ganking
    Bombing

I'm sure there are a ton of others that people can add.

for multiboxing with 2-3 accounts then wormholing and L5 missions would be your best bet for pve, now i havent done any L5s myself but from what ive been told they should be doable in tengus ( soloable actually so 3 rr tengus should have an easy time ), for WH pve you just start at c3s with some drakes/myrmidons and move up as you get more skills.

At this point I am still only level 1. Have my catalyst destroyer, a venture miner, and two spare ships. Have completed most of the initial mission lines and will probably jump on the epic quest line this weekend. Have to admit I suck at the sensor quest line.

So tomorrow will probably sub my initial trial account and maybe bump up 3-4 more to get a five box system running to start working out the kinks.

Some of the minor skills I think I have mastered at this point (if you can master anything at such a new level):

Targetting
    Mining
    Production
    Using mining drones (limited to 2 currently)
    Combat using drones (still only 2 currently)

I have discovered that trying to armor and shield tank is fail... now I am setting up my ships better, guess I should have read more but reading versus doing is sometimes different.

My goal for the weekend is get to where I can use 4-5 accounts with drones + repair system for other targets tanking. Get my other 4 accounts through to the destroyer skill and then look at what I can do to configure a fleet for noob play.

I have to admit figuring out the lingo is a harder learning curve than other games but there ya go. I have yet to try to get into a corporation, so that will be one of my goals when I get my accounts setup and working through the ship lines.

We're forming a multiboxer corp, primarily focused on wspace.

You can easily farm c3s with 5 accounts in a relatively short amount of time for isk(more than you can even imagine atm, but not a huge amt for most people once you're skilled up) , and you'll have plenty of people around to answer questions and form up for pvp if someone tries something silly.

Even brand new characters can quickly be hella useful in pvp.

If you're training vexor navy issues (a really good idea for PVE for a multiboxer, and some PVP) you can fly a maulus or celestis.

Flying an increidbly cheap fit with sensor damps x5 would be a terror to the hostile fleet and combined with scan res damping scrips, would make our alpha fleets even more effective (armor reps need to lock, THEN cycle reps....we can force them to lock slow with damps on guardians/reps), we could potentially get off 2-3 volleys before they even start landing reps, almost guaranteeing our target is dead from our alpha before it gets reps.

EDIT: Also, not being good at or knowing how to probe for right now should be ok, we'd have corp bookmarks that will get you around no problem. Living in wspace, tho, you really should at least learn how to probe, even if you're not amazing at it.
    Last edited by LordsServant : 09-25-2014 at 06:59 PM

Smalltanker since you are new i'd suggest you do 2 things right away:

1. install evemon from this link -> https://bitbucket.org/BattleClinic/e...tall-1.9.0.exe
    Evemon helps a by letting you plan what skills you are going to train so you arent just training random things, it gives you small popups from the taskbar informing you if one of your characters are about to end his current training queue or if his account is running out of gametime. It also lets you see what kind of remap would be the best for a skillplan ( only really works if you got a long skillplan since you only get 1 new remap a year ) .

2. install EFT/pyfa/other fitting program, i myself have always used EFT which is pretty simple and easy to use and understand. download it from this page https://forums.eveonline.com/default...=posts&t=24359 it will help you optimise your fittings without having to go buy all kinds of mods ingame and try them on to see if they work. It also has a neat feature that lets you copy a fit to clipboard, which you can then import to evemon so that you can see how long it would take you to get into that setup.

As Lords said we are forming a corp which will have access to a c3 static which is really nice for new players, especially multiboxers, to farm in. You can get alot of money very early compared to what you could by mining/missioning in highsec, while also being able to join and be useful in pvp from the get go. And of course there will be other multiboxers to help you with whatever you need to get set up. Only downside is of course that WH space is pretty much the most dangerous space to live in due to lack of local and it being lawless space. The learning curve will be steep but once you become good at WH space you should easily have plenty of isk to plex your accounts while being able to pvp with the rest of us whenever the opportunity presents itself :-)

on another note we are looking into getting together to do some ganking in highsec this weekend, so if you want you can quickly train up for a catalyst and join in to hopefully get some cool kills, some experience at multiboxing and maybe even some isk from loot drops :-)
    [Catalyst, Gank cheap]
    Magnetic Field Stabilizer II

[empty med slot]
    [empty med slot]

Limited Light Neutron Blaster I, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S

Small Hybrid Burst Aerator I
    Small Hybrid Collision Accelerator I
    [empty rig slot]

is all you really need to be able to join, mag stabs could even be t1.

Will have to research the Field Stabilizers I think and the blasters... I have been using the 125 and 150mm guns due to being Gallente. And haven't gotten rigs unlocked yet I don't think. I did generate invites for 4 more account and added 2 PLEX to my main account and took it out of being trial before that. So after some sleep I should be able to get on, try to get some configuring going on with ISBoxer and see if I can get something semi-worth while to support you all.

Did pick up a few more ships: Nereus (Industrial Mission), have five Navitas (from the industrial mission (Logistic Type frigate for remote armor repair.), Incursus Frigate, Catalyst Destroyer, and a Venture miner on main account. Chances are my other four accounts will be Gallente two so they all match up in starting areas and skills to make it easier to train the team up together.

So I'll see where I can get to this evening once I wake up and then will hopefully be around to play all night as I am a night shifter. I am sure I will have some headaches with ISBoxer set up and will have to watch some videos/tinker with repeater zones and all that.

BTW my main toon is named Haakronfind Multitude if you have the corporation set up. Send me and in game mail and I'll link up with you.
    Last edited by smalltanker : 09-26-2014 at 07:25 AM

Quote Originally Posted by smalltanker View Post
    I did generate invites for 4 more account
    If you figure out a way to run multiple trial accounts on one computer at the same time with ISBoxer, please let me know
    5 boxing on Chamber of Aspects, EU (Horde) and Soon on Classic.

Retired blog:
    http://thegrins.blogspot.com/