Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 26

I've done 3x Drakes in a C2-C3, and used 1x Vargur in a C5, but I'm looking to work my way into clearing C5s more efficiently with the pilots I have. I see lots of mention of RR domi balls, and I've participated in them many times. However, are there glaring issues with mael/logi balls?

2x Basi:
    c5_basi_logibro.png

4x Mael:
    c5_mael_logibro.png

This should have enough tank to survive everything but the Forgotten Core Information Pen and maybe Core Stronghold. Managing reps should be very simple, with a pair of Basi's pre-locking all the Maels. Sleeper neuts are only a concern in the logi chain, which can be countered by applying the secondary cap transfer to the Basi's, instead of topping off a Mael.

Per EFT, it should project damage very well out to 50-70km, which is the max that sleepers orbit at. It would likely fall apart very easily if someone were to drop it, as the reps would easily be jammed, but it is cheap enough to write off and hopefully it goes down fighting. My concerns would lie in mixed weapons, in that every Mael will have to target the same target to apply gun DPS, on top of the assisted drone DPS. Frigates will also be a problem, but I think half of the Maels could be fit with webs, or maybe drop a gun for a smart bomb. Not sure how to handle this yet.

For reference, I've done solo C5 sites in a Vargur, but I'm looking for a way to decrease clear times, decrease ISK on field(~2b Vargur fit is nerve wracking), and maintain the ability to run C5 sites solo(my corp isn't always active when I am). An added bonus would be the ability to train the Mael pilots into the Nag(and use the Vargur and almost-Vargur pilots I already have), and I could potentially use the Basi pilots for reps in PvP/PvE if my corp needs them instead of my PvP main.

Is this a terribad idea? Triple boxing drakes was pretty easy, but I'm not sure if quad-boxing DPS + dual-boxing reps would be too much to manage? Or if Maels are a terrible ship to use for DPS. I've used a pair in a C4 on Sisi with decent success, no clue if that translates well to C5 sites.

@Gomeler
    I've been doing C5 with subcaps for about two months now and I've gotten pretty intimate with the Core Strongholds and Core Garrisons. My fleet is larger than what you're suggesting (20 characters at about 10m skill points apiece) but the same concepts I use apply just as easily to what you're thinking.

Battleships are great, but mass is a major concern. You don't want to be putting your static WH to half-mass just by going back and forth once--At least for me, I don't want to impede other people using the static chain for pvp, logistics, or farming. If that isn't a concern for you, then go full-tilt with the battleships. If it's a problem, then run HACs or T3s.

I personally run Ishtars because drone dps can be projected out to 90km no problem. The battleships in the last wave on a Core Garrison will orbit at 80-90km and the battleships on the second wave of Core Strongholds will orbit between 60-70km. If you're at the far end of your falloff range trying to hit those ships, you're going to spend a *lot* of extra time per site. With Gardes I run three Omnidirectional Tracking Links with Optimal Range scripts since my Ishtar pilots only have HAC IV. Additionally, while Cruisers have a lot smaller buffer than the Battleships, their signature radius is so much smaller that they tank comparably for non-escalations.

~~~

I will say that I've now successfully used two T1 Logistics ships to rep through both C5 sites. The margin for error is smaller than my previous Logistics adventures (Nestors), but it's still quite comfortable. Using remote cap transfers from drone boats to your Logistics ships is just a really efficient way to run it. You can do the same thing using a Legion or a Tengu with the remote repair subsystem--Their throughput is insane when supplied with cap.

I've got more to say but it is laaaaaaaaaaaate.
    "Tact is for those that lack the wit for sarcasm."

I had considered Ishtars, but I was worried CCP was going to hit them with a nerfbat, given their popularity. For now I am training up 6x Vexor Navy Issue pilots and 2x Osprey pilots on a ~40 day skill plan. The goal will be to start in a C3 and faceroll sites while I get up to speed on multiboxing two pilot types and 8 in total.

Not sure what will be next. Ishtars would work, as I'm training drone skills, and your point about sig tanking would be pretty useful. The battleship hull I'm contemplating now is the Hyperion. 125mbit drone bandwidth, decent rail dps, option to use a flight of lights/mediums for frigate killing, decent amount of buffer, and stupid cheap. My current fit is ~260m, entire fleet will run just over 1.5b but pump nearly 6x the DPS of my Vargur.

Good idea on feeding cap from the DPS boats to the logi. Also thanks for the info re: T1 logi.

Are your Ishtars armor or shield fit? Guessing armor, or you're running a super tight 2 slot shield tank?

Armor tanked with only two DDAs, but I'm buying a second fleet of shield fit Ishtars running Geckos to see if it goes faster than the sentry boats.

The cap transfer option also allows you to use your mid slots for ReSebo and and projected ECCM. This makes your setup a lot more resilient to getting jumped--Not cap escalated (happened to me yesterday) but at least you can put up a good fight to a fleet landing on you.

haha are you the one that got double dreads dropped on you?
    there was a video of it on youtube posted on reddit.

Oh yeah, that was me.

haha. im guessing you make a lot of isk doing htat?
    i tried my stint in a c3 and c4 and wasnt all too much fun. the lack of local was too unnerving and complacency got me killed too many times haha. i guess if youre doing day trips into other c5s to do their sites, it might be much better though, especially since most peopel dont have the numbers to take on a gang that size on the spot. mostly do things like bubble you and cap escalate on you is the most they can accomplish.

Figured that was you, as I can't imagine there are that many people multiboxing an Ishtar fleet of that size. I look forward to your results with the shield fit gecko herd. Please post, if you don't mind.

Being part of one of those smaller gangs that roams w-space, I don't frequently see fleets of PvE ships. The vast majority of the time, we find solo runners, which make for an easy gank. If we ran across a 20 pilot Ishtar fleet running a C5, we'd likely stay the hell away, and maybe try to snag a straggler in warping between sites. 20 Ishtars is a whole lot of focused DPS, easily enough to alpha all but brick tanked T3s and battleships.

yea i actually do day roams into wh with my fleet. 5 - 10 bombers depending on how i feel and 1 scanning ship. i usually take 1 scanner go around poking around and when i find juicy targets, bomb the crap out of them.

ive also been doing "solo" roams with talwars and kestrels. actually really fun haha.

I had pretty decent success running C5s with 5 RR domis. I used a click bar which had buttons for broadcasting armor and controlling all clients but the one being primaried. That, combined with watch list set up in cap chain order and broadcast window allowed me to run sites in about 10 minutes. However, the domis are just too slow and get ganked too easily. This setup worked wonders in our old C2-HS/C4 hole but not so well in our C5-C5 hole.

I'm currently training my fleet up for 3 gecko ishtars and 2 basilisks for a similar system. I'll be running 1 ishtar and 4 myrmidons with corp logi support until then.

Word from the wise, don't multibox domis in C5s. They work well but they WILL get ganked. PVE RR domis are super easy but the second one of them gets jammed or neuted out your whole fleet goes down.