Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 19

Default Let's start organizing Multiboxer War Games?

I wrote a lot of text, so bear with my highlights for people who skim.

I originally posted this in the Staff forum to get initial thoughts. Now I want to hear from everyone else!

Okay, so War Games are going to get more interesting with Warlords of Draenor (http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...nor-PvP-Update) and this is cool, because it gives us multiboxers a great opportunity for some fun. When this comes out at the end of the year, it should be pretty easy to organize tournaments (yay!) complete with spectating (yay!). We need to take advantage of that, and set up multiboxer vs multiboxer War Games! We could have, like, prizes and stuff.

I wanted to do something along these lines a while back, but verifying winners without a spectator mode meant trying to horseshoe a contest into the existing PVP season mechanics, and people basically just whined at me when I suggested it so we never went anywhere with it. Multiboxers would have had to face off against actual arena teams, and that's a lot harder. In fact the biggest problem with trying it that way is many successful multiboxer teams have a separate person healing, and for a true multiboxer face off it should be one person controlling the full team whether it's 2, 3 or 5.

So while we wait another 6 months for WoD, here's some thoughts...

First, the War Games system has a limitation in that you have to target the opposing group's party leader in order to initiate the challenge. So to me this means we may want to gravitate toward a server, or group of connected servers. I don't think it is possible to do this via Real ID grouping -- maybe with one of your toons on the right server for the challenge while the rest can be on other servers. There's 6 months to figure out what server(s) to start with, probably being Kil'jaeden or some other server where many boxers may be interested.

Not to mention the limitation on the battleground zones where /follow is completely disabled (but works fine in the arenas), yes even in a War Game. So this is all going to have to happen in arenas. Battlegrounds would generally be difficult anyway

With that in mind, we don't have to wait for WoD to make a regular event out of Multiboxer War Games. We just have to have at least two multiboxers, on the same connected servers, interested in doing this with at least one interested in streaming it. And some people interested in watching and chatting while it happens. I'd like to schedule a time (hour?) every week or two (war game wednesdays?), even featuring different multiboxers each time, where we can watch the stream(s) and have voice chat on our Mumble server. Chat about pretty much anything from setting up, team composition/gear/glyphs/talents/whatever, the match in progress, ways to improve, etc.

Dual-boxing.com also has a trophy system that we can give out badges for participation (and/or winning) for competitors as well as participation badges for members in the chat. Other incentives are possible, too, but maybe we'll reserve the good stuff for tournaments in WoD.

• Would anyone like to go first, in a week or two? I'll start with matches between my team and my wife's team if nothing else, but we need to announce a time in advance so that people have some notice to join in.
    • If you would normally like to PVP but are NOT interested in what I have described, do you have an idea of what to change?
    • Does anyone have ideas for the server issue? Until WoD it doesn't matter that much but when we start running tournaments it seems important.
    • If you're interested in competing, or interested in watching and/or chatting for these dual-boxing.com community events, please respond so we can gauge interest. Thanks!
    Last edited by Lax : 06-16-2014 at 01:35 PM
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer
    Video: ISBoxer Quick Start

I'll watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    • Would anyone like to go first, in a week or two? I'll start with matches between my team and my wife's team if nothing else, but we need to announce a time in advance so that people have some notice to join in.
    I'm down for the idea, but my teams are locked at 70 and 80 for the series I'm currently doing. I doubt I'll be hitting top-level anytime before the release of WoD.

• If you would normally like to PVP but are NOT interested in what I have described, do you have an idea of what to change?
    Nothing that I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

• Does anyone have ideas for the server issue? Until WoD it doesn't matter that much but when we start running tournaments it seems important.
    Again, no workarounds that I can immediately think of minus being on the same battlegroup/datacenter and then seeing each other out in the world to start the match.

Honestly, if we were going to gravitate toward a realm/battlegroup I'd say Bleeding Hollow (Ruin) for PvP because it's got to be the roughest, toughest cesspool of PvP players there are and if you want to hone your skills in world PvP, then this is the place. It's also a server located in the Chicago datacenter, so people attempting this from the east or west coast won't have horrible latency to a more-centralized server. The only other place I would suggest would maybe be Emerald Dream -- It hosts a lot of world PvP, but it's an RPPvP server and I don't think a lot of boxers would be welcome unless they were willing to either stay out of the way of other peoples' RP or participate in it. A third, and distant, choice of mine would be Stormreaver, but it's incredibly Horde-heavy.

Unfortunately, there is already a larger group of boxers who had migrated to Kil'jaeden over the years (maybe not so large anymore?), but that server is located in the Los Angeles datacenter where people playing from the east coast might get screwed on latency/internet traffic at certain times. Even when I was playing on Proudmoore (also in the LA datacenter) I experienced lag during peak times and is one of the reasons I moved to the Chicago datacenter.

But, really... If we do choose a more-centralized server in the Chicago datacenter and people want to play, then they could just re-roll.

I'm down for the idea, but my teams are locked at 70 and 80 for the series I'm currently doing. I doubt I'll be hitting top-level anytime before the release of WoD.
    Facing off against another level 70 or 80 team is just as exciting as 90s vs 90s! Levels are not meaningfully restricted as far as I can tell.

As long as you're in the chat, though ..

But, really... If we do choose a more-centralized server in the Chicago datacenter and people want to play, then they could just re-roll.
    I think people would generally prefer not to re-roll or pay for server transfer just to participate. I dunno. If it's exciting enough then yeah I can re-roll or transfer wherever for WoD, personally.

Unfortunately, there is already a larger group of boxers who had migrated to Kil'jaeden over the years (maybe not so large anymore?), but that server is located in the Los Angeles datacenter where people playing from the east coast might get screwed on latency/internet traffic at certain times. Even when I was playing on Proudmoore (also in the LA datacenter) I experienced lag during peak times and is one of the reasons I moved to the Chicago datacenter.
    Probably the best point in your post. I have teams on Shattered Hand in the Ruin battlegroup, screw Bleeding Hollow! My main teams recently have been on Kael'thas in Rampage though.

While on that topic, EU should probably have a chance to participate too. I think a lot of boxers there are already on like 1 or 2 different servers anyway.
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer

Facing off against another level 70 or 80 team is just as exciting as 90s vs 90s! Levels are not meaningfully restricted as far as I can tell.
    I guess that's true, but I don't exactly have a PvP-centric group.

I think people would generally prefer not to re-roll or pay for server transfer just to participate. I dunno. If it's exciting enough then yeah I can re-roll or transfer wherever for WoD, personally.
    As much as I've moved around and done research on different realms, Whisperwind seems to be where I'd like to make my PvE home. It's a decent realm that falls in the top 30 PvE progression-wise, and I just spent money to move characters from Proudmoore to here -- I assumed I was just going to live out the rest of my quiet WoW career on this PvE realm.

However, I wouldn't mind rolling some PvP-centric groups on a PvP realm because this way if I need to get any PvE done in the outside world w/o being bothered, I'd just CRZ away from the PvP realm to my PvE realm. It would, of course, take longer to get things done that way, but who's to say how long it would have taken if I was getting camped for hours. /shrug

Probably the best point in your post. I have teams on Shattered Hand in the Ruin battlegroup, screw Bleeding Hollow! My main teams recently have been on Kael'thas in Rampage though.
    Well, I was suggesting realms based on the world PvP "scene," as well as population. Bleeding Hollow, while not as Horde-heavy as Stormreaver, is known for its ridiculous amount of world PvP -- Speaking from first-hand experience from having played there. If you're trying to bring people together for the purpose of PvP, then Bleeding Hollow is a main contender. However, trying to do anything PvE-releated can be incredibly frustrating if you're Alliance (as the population currently stands) and that was my main reason for leaving the server.

chaud from MMO-C made a Google Docs spreadsheet about realms, population, players, H:A ratio, etc that was being kept up-to-date, but seems to have been abandoned as of a few months ago:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EbFdJWFE#gid=0

Not to mention here are other resources (all estimated numbers, of course):
    PvE Progression Ranking (progressed servers tend to have a better AH market (assuming you're on the faction which is progressing))
    Realm Population

Shattered Hand looks to be a low-pop realm (and slightly Horde-heavy), but now that I'm thinking about Bleeding Hollow I don't know if it's the best idea. I still think a PvP server would be what you'd want to try to get people to migrate to though, so that world PvP could happen on a moment's notice, but this makes me think of two things:

1) Thanks to CRZ, players could technically go anywhere and wreak havoc -- So, even on a nicely populated PvE realm you could go attack hubs of the opposing faction to draw them out, but eventually you turn into a "multiboxing prick" when you continually do that because you can't get the opposing faction PvE'ers to come out and play.

2) A realm that's too "popular" tends to attract an enormous amount of douchebags and a realm which is "dead" tends to be incredibly boring in terms of both PvE (PUGs) and world PvP, not to mention, the AH is terrible.

So, at this point, I think some research would need to be done in an attempt to find a good realm in the Chicago datacenter to use as a home base (if that was the plan). Unfortunately, realm population is so unbalanced these days it's really difficult to find a realm that would meet all the criteria, and the ones that do tend to be located on the west coast.

Thread is now moved to the WoW PVP forum, and we're interested in the community's thoughts! What do you think?
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer

The idea is good but i don't think melee vs melee and melee vs caster is exciting to watch, caster vs caster would be a lot better as positioning plays a big role and its more about tactic not just a ball of melee zerg. I've played several times against boxers as ele and those games can be very exciting in my opinion even for non multiboxers. As I'm EU I'm afraid this wont go anywhere here since pretty much everyone stopped playing here but I'd like to get an US account to watch or probably cast games for live stream.
    Last edited by Kruschpakx4 : 06-16-2014 at 03:02 PM

no follow in war games bg's unless this changes at somepoint. but ya we got arana with the some cool stuff. and this for US or EU?.

they said something about giving gear out in wargames as well so we could make it kinda fair.
    Last edited by ebony : 06-16-2014 at 04:37 PM

oh yeah completely forgot about that, they had to get rid of all the bots in wargames so follow got removed

Quote Originally Posted by Kruschpakx4 View Post
    oh yeah completely forgot about that, they had to get rid of all the bots in wargames so follow got removed

wargames use the same maps as the bg's same as a lot of the rbg so when they removed it from one it got removed for the others.