Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default Can someone explain monks from a multiboxers perspective?

Hey guys, I know some of you are good monk players, but in my head I cannot see the advantage of having 4x monks, I'll tell you why:

-Exploding palm do not stack, therefor 1 <=> 4 monks
    -Since all of your characters are attacking the same target, your EPs wont spread quicket 1 <=> 4 monks
    -Melee chars tend to dsync much faster, at least when using dashing strike

Since EP is the main source of damage and it does not stack while the monster HP scales with each player it just seems like a bad idea to be multiboxing 3-4 monks.

The only pro side i can think of is:
    -You can have all 4 mantras activated.

Quote Originally Posted by Zartok View Post
    Hey guys, I know some of you are good monk players, but in my head I cannot see the advantage of having 4x monks, I'll tell you why:

-Exploding palm do not stack, therefor 1 <=> 4 monks
    -Since all of your characters are attacking the same target, your EPs wont spread quicket 1 <=> 4 monks
    Things might have changed, and I could be wrong - From what I understand, EP doesn't double stack for a SINGLE monk, but every monk can apply their own single stack.

In 4 player games, EP used to do 50% health damage on explode. But in 2, 3, 4 player games, it was 30%, 20%, 10% respectively (silent mechanic). So 4x Monks - EP would each explode for 10% of the health in a 4 player game.
    Sweet* teams - <unGankable> - Kil'Jaeden US Alliance - 10x Shamans, 9x DKs 1x Pally, 10x Drews

EP no longer works that way. It does %weapon damage now. Impending Doom rune does 6305% damage as Cold. TR Cold build + EP + Gungdo Gear will cast EP in a huge pack. On the first mob that dies will cause a big chain reaction. In theory u will be able to clear huge packs really fast. Since it stacks per monk, u *should* do a ton of damage.

Besides that, monks are in a very good spot right now. You can go melee or even ranged. At least seems like a better choice compared to other classes that dont get any incentive to play Season 2. Crusaders are cool and whan I'm playing the most right now (GR44 already) but why bother starting all over again when I can play non season with them whenever I'm bored of monks?
    Last edited by Devile : 02-11-2015 at 08:36 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear, I was just saying it used to do the % damage, and did stack with different monks, but there was an internal mechanic that scaled the damage down in 2,3,4 player games. Which made sense, 50% of the health as damage (for a monster) in a single player game may be 1mil, but in 4 player, it may be 3mil.

Now it's %weapon damage or whatever, so probably no need to scale anything in multiplayer games.
    Sweet* teams - <unGankable> - Kil'Jaeden US Alliance - 10x Shamans, 9x DKs 1x Pally, 10x Drews

Thanks of the info guys, but in my head it only nerfs you to play as 4 monks, why?
    -Because in a 4-player game monster health is increased by 250% hp
    -There can only be 1x EP on a single monster, and therefor the 3x other EP's applied is wasted, even with the Impending Doom rune since it triggers on monster death and explodes around the mob itself with a 1 x 6350% dmg as wpn dmg.

What does that mean? While the monsters health is increased by 2.5 times the damage is still the same. And by that your damage as a 4x monk team applying EP is only doing 1/4th of the damage it would in a solo-game. Ofc I am not saying monks are bad, I am just saying that playing as 4 EP monks sounds like a waste since it is the main source of dmg.

Quote Originally Posted by Zartok View Post
    Thanks of the info guys, but in my head it only nerfs you to play as 4 monks, why?
    -There can only be 1x EP on a single monster, and therefor the 3x other EP's applied is wasted, even with the Impending Doom rune since it triggers on monster death and explodes around the mob itself with a 1 x 6350% dmg as wpn dmg.
    I'm not sure where you get there can be only 1x EP on a mob. Each monk can have 1x EP on a mob. So 4x EP on a mob with 4x monks.

A single monk can't stack more than 1x EP of their own, on a single mob.

Yes, the DoT stacks. I've tested this myself and it's fairly easy to test. The explosion is a different story and should stack as well since it's based on weapon damage now, not monster health. If a monster has 4 EPs, 1 per monk, on explosion, the aoe damage should be weapon damage percentage from each monk. This one needs testing. I tried earlier today, but I failed cause I needed low damage weapons. lvl1 weapons are to low, legacy too high and I'm too bored to level up a char to 30 or something to get low damage weapons.

EP does a ton of damage even on T6. Even a legacy lvl60 weapon kills trash on EP explosion. U need to get low enough so u don't kill a pack of trash with a single monks EP. If u can get that, then go with all 4 monks and cast EP. The bleed itself from all monks should kill that single mob and make it explode. If the explosion now kills a pack, then it clearly stacks the damage. Try it a few times to make sure it was not a crit (assuming it can crit). I'll be surprised EP doesn't stack this way to be honest.

But regardless of EP explosion, monks do very good damage even without EP. Survivability is good, damage is good. U can go melee, u can go ranged, u can be mobile. Right now they are in a much better place than most classes, so why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Devile View Post
    But regardless of EP explosion, monks do very good damage even without EP. Survivability is good, damage is good. U can go melee, u can go ranged, u can be mobile. Right now they are in a much better place than most classes, so why not?
    Yeah, I agree. I don't have geared monks - so might as well s2 them and check it out. I already have geared crusaders, so not much point, like you mentioned earlier, you can always play them in non-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kicksome
    Quote Originally Posted by Devile
    I see, thanks yet again for the informative posts! Sorry if I came out as a stubborn douche, I was trying to convince my self to play monks and with your great responses it seems I will join the brotherhood of monks, as my arguments for "not play monks" was proven wrong.
    Last edited by Zartok : 02-13-2015 at 11:26 AM

np ... and the EP explosion seems to stack. I haven't done proper testing, but leveling 1-70 in S2 was enough to tell than 4 EPs on a mob does far more damage on explosion than a single EP. Since single monk EP was blowing up everything, I decided to round robin EP to manage better my Spirit. That worked fine in lower levels and in Hard but in Master/T1, it was not enough to kill full packs of white mobs. Deleted the round robin and I was blowing packs again. Tried a few times with same mobs in the same map and the results were consistent. 1 EP on explosion, left whites with like 10-20% health. 4 EPs blew the whole pack every time.

Again, not really proper testing but it was a noticeable difference.