Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 22

Quote Originally Posted by harvan View Post
    archage is not going to be boxable me and prepared got a official lead gm response-
    Ill never understand that! Its a business.. and its one that depends on sales and continued revenue to survive. And im pretty sure investors would disagree with decisions like that " Im sorry investors, we feel multiboxing gives an unfair advantage in our make believe fantasy world, so we have outlawed it!." ...Investors " Umm.. so we have people that want to buy MULTIPLE copies of this game were all trying to make money on, and then they want to pay MULTIPLE monthly subscriptions for lord knows how long? And you devs want to keep that from happening? ARE YOU STUPID!!??!.. YOUR FIRED!!!"

hehe.. thats my view on it.. as a business man myself.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

I thought it was totally unboxable until they get rid of Hackshield which they are being very quiet on...

EDIT: spelling
    Intel 3930k | Asus P9X79 LE | 16GB Ram | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti | 240gb SSD | 2x1TB Raid 0 | AMH A399U 40" 4K Monitor | Logitech G19| Zboard Fang Gamepad | Logitech G602 |

SWToR - 2 box - Shadow and Sage - Shelved when Australian servers moved to the US.
    Everquest 2 - 4 box - Bruiser, Swashbuckler, Dirge and Warden - on sabbatical.
    Diablo 3 - 3 box - Barbarian, Monk and Crusader - got bored.
    Wildstar - 2 box - Stalker+Medic and Engineer+Spellslinger - punched out after the first month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    Ill never understand that! Its a business.. and its one that depends on sales and continued revenue to survive. And im pretty sure investors would disagree with decisions like that " Im sorry investors, we feel multiboxing gives an unfair advantage in our make believe fantasy world, so we have outlawed it!." ...Investors " Umm.. so we have people that want to buy MULTIPLE copies of this game were all trying to make money on, and then they want to pay MULTIPLE monthly subscriptions for lord knows how long? And you devs want to keep that from happening? ARE YOU STUPID!!??!.. YOUR FIRED!!!"

hehe.. thats my view on it.. as a business man myself.
    Maybe their judgement is such that boxing influences the experience of more people negatively than the extra copies they can sell? Or that it is just easier in general to not allow boxing (load on customer support should be way less i can imagine).
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Quote Originally Posted by zenga View Post
    Maybe their judgement is such that boxing influences the experience of more people negatively than the extra copies they can sell? Or that it is just easier in general to not allow boxing (load on customer support should be way less i can imagine).

I understand that argument.. and it might be true for PvP..less so for PvE. But yea, im sure thats why.. all the crying takes it toll.
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

I wonder if there is really any quantified effect of boxing overall. Sure the occasional guy gets toasted and angry over it but I don't recall ever hearing of boxers totally dominating any competitive pvp thing. Maybe in open world pvp. Assuming a depleted player base or lack of in faction coordination. My assumption is that the negative impact of boxers is entirely internal, e.g. Little Timmy has two toys I want two toys mommy. What do you mean I have to put out effort for two toys Timmy didn't. Can't win that argument but still you would think companies would side with greed if not bothering to record and analyze some statistics.

I can see the csr angle but you can offload some of that to the community for basically free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Their Q&A - Multiboxing was brought up. 1 Client per computer, limitation of game. Multiple Machines, they allow multiple account ownership. 3rd Party Software to control multiple character is not allowed.

Just after 48:40 min - http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/529118204

I unfortunately will be running a pocket healer/farmer account plus my main account for this game.
    Meeo/Nibilus

Quote Originally Posted by Meeo View Post
    Their Q&A - Multiboxing was brought up. 1 Client per computer, limitation of game. Multiple Machines, they allow multiple account ownership. 3rd Party Software to control multiple character is not allowed.

Just after 48:40 min - http://www.twitch.tv/trionworlds/b/529118204

I unfortunately will be running a pocket healer/farmer account plus my main account for this game.
    I'd say that's open to interpretation.

Right before (@ 47:40), the woman first mentions botting and says that it's bad to use botting software (duh). Then she addresses multiboxing where she says...

1) The limitation of the game client only allows for one instance to run on a computer at once.

I highly doubt that this limitation exists solely because of multiboxers. There are many games that we all multibox which can only run one game client per computer, but it's gotten around, with no modification to the game client, through application-level virtualization.

Many games that are created in Asia come standard with launchers that we in the states would never tolerate. For example, when I played the Korean version of Blade & Soul I had to first log into a website, which at the time seemed to only like Internet Explorer because it uses some weird asian addon application for the browser, which would then launch a launcher to check your files and look for updates, and then you could launch the game and play. God forbid you ever got DC'd from the game and had to do all of that over again.

I don't know how the Asian game client of ArcheAge is launched, but I can imagine that the "one game client per computer" is just a limitation left over from crazy Asian game launching traditions. To add to this, after the multiboxing bit the guy (sitting next to the woman) talks about how the game doesn't even have borderless windowed mode (AKA Windowed (Fullscreen)), but they want to bring it to the game and they're working on it. HTF does something like that not exist in the game already?

Either way, I can't imagine that people won't find ways to run multiple clients on a single machine even if it's just to sit on a bank alt at the auction house while they play their main... Because when it really comes down to it... What's the difference whether you've got your bank alt sitting on a laptop next to you or you're running both of those clients on a single machine? Nothing.

2) "As long as you, the human being, are controlling all of those accounts, that's fine."

The above is a direct quote from the woman in the video. She then goes on to say that fingers, and toes ("if you're really, really creative"), are the only acceptable means of playing your characters. To me, that sounds like the definition of allowing multiboxing, but during all of this she also says:

"If you're using third-party tools, you're botting, we ban you. No software."

I don't know if she's just referring back to the previous statement she made about botting software (specifically) being bad, or whether she's throwing every piece of third-party software into a big pool of "bannable offense," which, we should all know, is nonsense.

The thing that gets me about statements like this is that they don't say you can't use hardware to multibox, when most of us know that hardware multiboxing was, and could still very well be, a thing. You don't need software to send keystrokes or mouse movements across your computers, but software has become so much easier (and cheaper) to use that we've mostly all just migrated that way.

Ultimately, how would they know the difference if you just set up your characters to have a bit of a (manual) delay between their actions through multiple steps using software to mimic moving from input device to input device? Answer -- They wouldn't. That's why allowing multiple clients and having these weird restrictions and convoluted guidelines is... confusing and even dumb in some cases. I understand it's their game and they can set whatever rules they want, but either it's allowed or it's not allowed.

However, I'm not suggesting that people start spending their money on multiple founder's packs in order to prepare for multiboxing or advocating that you are truly allowed to multibox based on my interpretation of what Trion said during that stream, but what they're saying just sounds uneducated (in the realm of multiboxing).

-----------------------

EDIT: After I began the stream over and actually listened, they mentioned in the beginning that ArcheAge is a heavy PvP oriented game. They also talk about castle sieges and what not, but now it makes sense why they wouldn't want multiboxers in such a type of game -- Especially with it being F2P. Nothing is stopping anyone from running a ton of accounts just so they can add numbers to their army to siege castles and fight battles.
    Last edited by MiRai : 05-17-2014 at 05:56 PM

Update from Trion: https://support.trionworlds.com/app/...kw/multiboxing Basically, they won't allow controlling multiple characters using a single input device regardless of how it's accomplished.

I don't know how the Asian game client of ArcheAge is launched, but I can imagine that the "one game client per computer" is just a limitation left over from crazy Asian game launching traditions.
    Korean games are all run through websites. You log into the website, and it launches the game for you. There are rarely executables here in Korea to launch things. It is a system designed to be internet cafe ready and pc-room friendly. Since 90%+ of gamers in Korea game at an internet cafe, this is the system adopted almost universally within Korean game developers. It is a HUGE pain in the ass, and a system no western audience wouldf ever put up with.
    Last edited by Khatovar : 08-06-2014 at 01:39 PM

Well, what they said isn't actually outside the realm of doable if you're clever. Since they said you can have multiple characters online and following one character, the hard part is done. That's permission.

The restriction is that one keyboard button press or one mouse-click must equate to one single action on one single character, and each character needs to be controllable with its own respective keyboard and mouse. It also doesn't say that you can't use 3rd party software to launch a game window, just that each character must be controllable without using it.

Soooooo. Those're the restrictions. The first thing that comes to mind is a virtual KVM switch, since swapping is instant. Second is multiple numpads with a wooden dowel across each "row" of buttons. Third is uh, not allowed as a discussable item on the forums?

Yeah, the mini-numpads with a dowel seems pretty sweet. Since you can set all of your guys up to follow your main outside of combat, you then just have to worry about a mashable dps button while in combat. Does the game auto-assist to a friendly character if you cast a hostile action on them?
    "Tact is for those that lack the wit for sarcasm."