Close
Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Default Frame Rate Question

ok so I have a Geforce GTX 680 FTW 4 gig video card..
    I have 16 gigs of ram and im running the i7 2600k cpu.. windows 7
    I am running one client and im not understanding something here.
    right now as I post this as I sit in SW idle not moving 40 to 50 fps.

so my aunt just got one of the alienware x51 r2 the small guy.. windows 8
    she has the r9 270x 2gig video card with the intel 4770k cpu and 16 gigs of ram.
    her frame rates are in the high 90s in sw and in shrine

why are her fps higher than mine? ive changed all settings from low to high etc..
    I can see 60s when I run around but im not sure why she has better fps than I do.

I would assume with my card having more ram I should do as good?

I would check out, Performance Monitor, lots of nice google hits for it. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc749249.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by CD82 View Post
    why are her fps higher than mine? ive changed all settings from low to high etc..
    I can see 60s when I run around but im not sure why she has better fps than I do.
    Are you both standing in the same place looking at the exact same thing?
    Are you both running identical video settings?
    Are you both running the same resolution?
    Are you both running the same version of DirectX?
    Are you running MSAA?
    Do you have VSync enabled?
    Do you have an artificial limit on FPS set in your options?
    Do you have Reduce Input Lag enabled?
    Are your drivers 100% up-to-date? (this is a trick question I get terrible performance with the latest nVidia drivers and ended up reverting)
    Is Windows 100% up-to-date?
    Do you have core parking disabled?
    Do you have 150 browser tabs open in the background running nasty flash YouTube videos?

I mean... Unless you both had identical computers with identical software and hardware, then there's no way to really know because there are too many factors -- Especially when you're looking at two different versions of Windows and two different generations of both CPUs and GPUs. And... Are you sitting at the computer seeing this happen first hand? No offense to the older generation (or any other generation for that matter), but sometimes when you ask someone what settings they're running they have NFC what they're talking about and just randomly spout off BS. For instance, the video settings preset slider can be sitting on Ultra, but you aren't necessarily running at Ultra; and unless you specifically know that it says "Custom" above the Good slider preset, then an uneducated or misinformed individual is going to assume they're running Ultra at a quick glance.

I would assume with my card having more ram I should do as good?
    The only time you'd gain more performance than another person because you had more video RAM, was if they didn't have enough. A single instance of World of Warcraft @ 1080 using the most super-ultra settings available to us is unlikely going to take more than 1.5GB.

When I'm using DX9:

I fly above the Stormwind AH while using Ultra settings, I get 40-75 FPS, but there aren't a LOT of people there.
    I go to the Canals with the same settings I get 115 FPS.
    I turn my settings down to Low, go into a small building, and turn off my UI, I get 870 FPS.

When I switch to DX11 it's all pretty much the same except I can peak at 960 FPS.
    And if I zoom in and stare at the floor I can break 1000 FPS. /flex

Are you both standing in the same place looking at the exact same thing?
    Are you both running identical video settings?
    Are you both running the same resolution?
    Are you both running the same version of DirectX?
    Are you running MSAA?
    yes to this

Do you have an artificial limit on FPS set in your options?
    Do you have Reduce Input Lag enabled?
    No they are both disabled on both systems..

Are your drivers 100% up-to-date? (this is a trick question I get terrible performance with the latest nVidia drivers and ended up reverting)
    Is Windows 100% up-to-date?
    yes to this

Do you have core parking disabled?
    Do you have 150 browser tabs open in the background running nasty flash YouTube videos?
    no we do not

And... Are you sitting at the computer seeing this happen first hand?
    yes she is my aunt ive been to her house and plus she has brought the system over to my house so yes I do witness this firsthand and I understand here-say and why you asked..

and im only using about 24% of cpu usage so I don't think its the cpu that is the bottleneck..
    I just find it weird that her card does better in the game than in mine heck in raids I drop down to about 15 fps

Errr...
    yes to this
    If you have VSync enabled then your FPS is capped to your monitor's refresh rate... which I'm going to bet is 60Hz.

ok I turned it off and yes this monitor is a 60hz monitor its a Samsung syncmaster sa550 27 inch..
    after turning it off and restarting the game still same thing

ok I turned it off and yes this monitor is a 60hz monitor its a Samsung syncmaster sa550 27 inch..
    after turning it off and restarting the game still same thing
    If you were getting a max of 60 FPS before with VSync enabled, and after you disabled it you still get only 60 FPS everywhere you go, then I would have to assume either it's not really turned off or you're setting a FPS cap somewhere. You can always try typing...
    Code:
    /console maxfps 120
    ...to see if that changes anything.

Are you running third-party programs for video settings or do you have custom settings enabled in the nVidia Control Panel? If not, then I really don't know.

My GTX 780 Ti GPUs get weird performance in WoW with the 335.xx drivers and even worse performance with 337.50 (visual stuttering like crazy). I reverted back to 331.82 where everything seems to work perfectly, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you should automatically jump on the same version drivers as me because different drivers always work a bit differently for different people. /shrug

Are you running third-party programs for video settings or do you have custom settings enabled in the nVidia Control Panel? If not, then I really don't know.
    no I am not

I don't get any video shuttering until I am in a raid and it drops down to like 15 or so.. then I see some shuttering

but it just beats my brain to death seeing that her system performs better than mine. I cant seem to figure out the issue

and the /console maxfps 120 did not seem to make a difference

no I am not

I don't get any video shuttering until I am in a raid and it drops down to like 15 or so.. then I see some shuttering

but it just beats my brain to death seeing that her system performs better than mine. I cant seem to figure out the issue

and the /console maxfps 120 did not seem to make a difference
    This might seem like a weird question, but... Do you use Inner Space. If so, are you launching the game through Inner Space when doing these tests?

no I am not I am launching the game with the battle.net app...
    like I was doing a scan on the ah and there were not many people in the ah and my fps dropped to 12fps