Close
Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Default I've got the itch, has anyone been banned?

I'm curious, the last time I played, briefly for a few weeks in August '12, I used the system I detailed in my framework. However it appears that many of the methods I use are technically "bannable".

Specifically the one key sends 5 or 6 keys at once style of DPSing.

So, has anyone been banned for this? Heard of anyone being banned?

Well I haven't been banned or even approached by a GM yet, although a number of players have "WTF!?" me to which I explain the situation. I use a G111 keyboard and have a couple of macros that hit the focus and dps key which I guess technically is bannable if thinking about the 1 key 1 action rule.

I have looked at your frame work and thought about applying it but have a rudimentary setup working and limited play time so haven't got in to the deep / tricky configs yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
    Well I haven't been banned or even approached by a GM yet, although a number of players have "WTF!?" me to which I explain the situation. I use a G111 keyboard and have a couple of macros that hit the focus and dps key which I guess technically is bannable if thinking about the 1 key 1 action rule.

I have looked at your frame work and thought about applying it but have a rudimentary setup working and limited play time so haven't got in to the deep / tricky configs yet.
    Ya. I figure this is more scare mongering than anything. Say it's bannable and most people will just no do it and if you become a problem player for them they have the grounds to whack ya with a ban.

I think, obviously this is just my opinion and could be entirely wrong, as long as what you're doing doesn't infringe on others too much then they're unlikely to have cause for concern. i.e. I wouldn't go and grief a player for anytime, or go in to WZs with it as these things tend to upset people. And if you start getting bad reports then they're more likely to review your case.

I've no doubt they can see if two keys are pressed in an instant. But for example I've been using Control 1 (companion attack) and Leap on one key for ages as a solo player and no one has complained yet.

I prefer to do the helpful stuff like stick around near where I know an elite is going to spawn if I just finished my quest and help solo players

Quote Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
    I think, obviously this is just my opinion and could be entirely wrong, as long as what you're doing doesn't infringe on others too much then they're unlikely to have cause for concern. i.e. I wouldn't go and grief a player for anytime, or go in to WZs with it as these things tend to upset people. And if you start getting bad reports then they're more likely to review your case.

I've no doubt they can see if two keys are pressed in an instant. But for example I've been using Control 1 (companion attack) and Leap on one key for ages as a solo player and no one has complained yet.

I prefer to do the helpful stuff like stick around near where I know an elite is going to spawn if I just finished my quest and help solo players
    Well, I've already pretty much figured out how to get around this "you can't send multiple key strokes from one key" nonsense.

If your key before sent 5 keys per press, simply set a stepping delay of about .01s or however long you want and spam that key! One keystroke = one direct output. Functionally it is essentially the same thing, except you just have to spam a little more. Or you could just ignore the silly rule. It's unlikely they will ban you outright in my estimation.

I think you're probably right, although I just read your guide and putting a 12 second timer in to a macro.. that looks a bit naughty ^^

I've no doubt they can see if two keys are pressed in an instant.
    I think people around here tend to misjudge how much anyone cares if two keys are pressed in an instant. The game is only going to do so many things at once.

When people say 1 key = 1 action, it's probably intentionally ambiguous so that hopefully people don't go too overboard, but what they really mean by this is that you can't set up a sequence that performs multiple actions including having to wait for the first one to complete. For example, pressing 1 and 2 at the same time nobody's going to give two shits, but if you press a key and it presses 1, and then a second later it presses 2 for you, then this is a problem. If you press a button and your guy moves around in a predefined pattern, hell maybe it circle strafes for you, and fires off abilities as you stand back and watch, then this is a problem. People make it out to be more complicated than it is.

They COULD see if two keys are pressed in an instant, if they wanted to put in a detection for that sort of thing, but .. have you ever played a game? Like actually played the game. How often do you press 2 buttons? A lot, right? So if I'm a game publisher, how do I make sure that my "multiple key press detection" isn't going to catch you physically pressing two keys? And why do I really care? Why am I going to spend time implementing this detection that -- as someone who makes games for people to play -- I know is going to have a massive false positive ratio because pressing two keys is natural? How much time do you think they want to spend implementing methods of detecting multiboxing, which isn't prohibited? And custom keyboards and mice, which a huge population of gamers uses and are also not prohibited? Hint: None.

I just read your guide and putting a 12 second timer in to a macro.. that looks a bit naughty ^^
    Timers in ISBoxer don't send input after 12 seconds (there's no way to do that), they would instead stop something from happening when you're pressing buttons for a number of seconds and then allow it the next time you press a button after the time expires. Nothing naughty about it...
    Lax
    Author of ISBoxer
    Video: ISBoxer Quick Start

I see both your points there Lax I misunderstood what Mercs macro was doing but when you put it that way it makes sense.