Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 14

Default Several nub questions.

I have several newb questions. I'd like to thank anyone who takes the time to reply for your patience in advance.

First of all I'm obviously new to boxing.

1. I have been told that it is possible to box 5 toons on one system if the system is uber enough. Is this true and if so what kind of specifications should I be looking for when building my pc? cpu speed/ram/motherboard/vidcard etc. Please feel free to to dumb it down to the easiest possible layman's terms.

2. If I use a hardware style multiplexer along with my multiplexer software would it be possible to attach a couple of extra modified gaming keyboards just to use for heals/ranged when i'm mixing classes in my groups and if so how hard would the scripting be to get them to work properly with my multiplexer software so that there was no crossover?

3. I have an account with 4 90s and 7 toons over 60. What are some thought's on the best way to use RaFs for the 4 new accounts that I'm opening along with the 5 free 90 boosts that I'll get from presale WoDs w/o wasting any of it?

4. When making toons of the same class is it best to stick to the same race or mix them up for racials? If it is strictly a matter of a opinion what are the pros/cons?

5. I'm sure that this is completely debatable, but what are some opinions on the best way to practice boxing so that I don't go into groups all newb and ruin other peoples game experience?

Again, I know that most of these questions are newb derp da derp and I greatly appreciate anybody who takes the time to advise me in these matters.

what kind of specifications should I be looking for when building my pc
    1. For 5 instances: 4-6 CPU cores, 5GB RAM, 512MB video card is recomended.

What are some thought's on the best way to use RaFs
    3. Here is a video on it.

stick to the same race or mix them up for racials
    4. I would pick the race that best fits the class role and job your intend on using it for. PVE or PVP

best way to practice boxing?
    5. I would do the crawl walk run. work on getting your movement together. ie follow, interact with target, others shift around. work on questing for a bit. then go into dungeons with just your team. you will die alot but the stress will force you to adapt and get better. in world PVE you only need one dps key. but in dungeons you have to move to avoid fire. you have to tank, you have to heal. its more difficult.
    Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it"

Thanks man I appreciate you taking the time to spell it all out for me

follow up: do you have any idea about the viability of using a hardware style multiplexer so that i can use a couple of extra gaming mod keyboards/keypads to separate control of my heals/rdps while in the more complex boss fights and raids?

I've only used software based multiplexer solutions. but there is an old thread about hardware solutions here.

There is a wealth of information in the following writeups.

Khatovar's Newb's Guide to Multiboxing Vol. 1

Khatovar's Newbie Guide for Multiboxing Vol. 2
    Last edited by JackBurton : 03-16-2014 at 01:42 PM
    Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it"

Quote Originally Posted by Arturius View Post
    1. I have been told that it is possible to box 5 toons on one system if the system is uber enough. Is this true and if so what kind of specifications should I be looking for when building my pc? cpu speed/ram/motherboard/vidcard etc. Please feel free to to dumb it down to the easiest possible layman's terms.
    Any modern day mid-range system can handle five game clients. The higher the video settings you want to run the more powerful of a machine you're going to need.

2. If I use a hardware style multiplexer along with my multiplexer software would it be possible to attach a couple of extra modified gaming keyboards just to use for heals/ranged when i'm mixing classes in my groups and if so how hard would the scripting be to get them to work properly with my multiplexer software so that there was no crossover?
    You're going to be hard-pressed to find anyone around here that still uses hardware to multibox (outside of the standard computer equipment).

3. I have an account with 4 90s and 7 toons over 60. What are some thought's on the best way to use RaFs for the 4 new accounts that I'm opening along with the 5 free 90 boosts that I'll get from presale WoDs w/o wasting any of it?
    The video that JackBurton linked covers some different methods of recruiting, but is mostly out of date beyond that.

4. When making toons of the same class is it best to stick to the same race or mix them up for racials? If it is strictly a matter of a opinion what are the pros/cons?
    I suggest learning the basics of multiboxing before you begin attempting to min-max your setup through racials -- Especially when many of them are still up in the air with the new expansion on the horizon. Also, if you choose different races you're likely going to be running all of them to the same starting area where they may or may not all be able to receive the same quests (this is dependent on starting area).

5. I'm sure that this is completely debatable, but what are some opinions on the best way to practice boxing so that I don't go into groups all newb and ruin other peoples game experience?
    Create characters, login, and multibox. I know that's a pretty general statement, but there's no better way to learn than to just do it.

If I were wanting to build the best possible system to box 5 multiples what should I go with in order to use max vid settings without lag issues in end game raids. Also I would like to build it well enough to keep from having to upgrade it for the new WoD xpac requirements. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Also any pre-made systems that could handle it I'd like to know about.

Thanks for all the pro help guys. I think I've got the info I need to take a crack at it now. BTW JackBurton, I was gettin tips in game the other day from one of your guildies Tinystomper 90dk. When I get a handle on all of this I hope to come join your guild

Ya even I have left hardware multiplexing in favor of Input Director and IsBoxer.

28 BoXXoR RoXXoR Website
    28 Box SOLO Nalak 4m26s! Ilevel 522! GM 970 Member Guild! Multiboxing Since Mid 2001!

I want to use the software... My hardware question was should i use a hardware multiplexer for the sole purpose of hooking up a couple of xtra numberpad style gaming keyboards (just the small ones with 10-12 keys) in order to operate my healz/dps toons when I have to separate them do to boss mechanics.

Example: for the most part I would just run around in a tight group using my main keyboard for all my toons la de da.... then bam! boss fight... I separate my toons and use the separate 10-12key keypads to operate the dps and heals (mainly their procs and mostly just for emergencies).

What are yall's thoughts on this idea? Could it work?

Also multiplexer may not be the word I'm looking for. But as I said at the beginning of this post, I am an ubernewber.
    Last edited by Arturius : 03-17-2014 at 08:01 AM