Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: New Multiboxer

Default New Multiboxer

Hi all,

I created an account here after trawling through these forums for hours and hours before I started multiboxing, and really wanted to thank everyone here for the amazing advice, tips, macros, etc.

I am now 2 days into my boxing adventures, with a team in the mid-40's.

I am running a full 5 man group:
    Paladin - tank
    Shaman - healer
    Moonkin
    Mage
    Hunter

I have managed to clear a few instances (RFK, RFD, Stocks), but am having a bit of trouble with some others (Scholo, Dire Maul).

I am picking up lots by reading here, and also watching MiRai's fantastic youtube clips (any more coming?? I love the heroic runs), but the thing I am having the most trouble with is controlling my other windows for moving out of things (ie Instructor Chillheart in Scholo)

Also, what are people's thoughts on my group composition? I am strongly considering swapping the Druid to Resto and the Shammy to Elemental.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Olz

For moving out of things, many people broadcast either the strafe keys or the arrow keys and use them to move the slaves. You can also try using follow and/or IWT if the situation allows. Take a look at the Movement section in the Second Newbie's Guide.

As far as swapping, you've got multiple specs available. You can set the druid and the shaman up to both have the ability to DPS or Heal as needed. Many people prefer to have their "healers" run as DPS in instances so they can kill things faster rather than having a toon standing around waiting to heal. And since both the druid and shaman can throw out spot healing in their DPS spec, you won't lose much, if anything, running them that way. It also gives you the ability to have 2 different healing styles available to chose from based on the encounter.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

Thanks Khatovar, your advice has helped me improve.

I am managing to get a bit better at control and positioning of my slaves.

I have kept my Shaman resto, but am now using him to DPS too. I think I was too undergeared to do it before. One of the downfalls of RAF! (Running lv40 dungeons with starting zone whites in some slots)

I am now nearing level 60 all in dungeon blues and really looking forward to getting into BC content.

Only thing I never considered, before today, is that I need to buy flying skill for all these toons! >.<

Quote Originally Posted by TheOlz View Post
    I am picking up lots by reading here, and also watching MiRai's fantastic youtube clips (any more coming?? I love the heroic runs)
    Yes, more are definitely coming. When? Soon™. I've actually been putting together a post on my blog about it over the past few days and I definitely want to finish the Wrath heroics, at the very least, before WoD drops due to gear/scaling/abilities/etc changing with the new expansion.

MiRai I'm another guy that has always appreciated your videos. People that make educational videos are few and far between. I do have some feedback if your willing to consider them. One thing that your doing well in your videos is you have commentary in it. The three factors of learning are watching, listening and doing. Most video authors only provide one way of learning. Half of Multi-Boxing Videos are PVP videos and not tutorials. It would be nice if you could make some short back to basics videos. These are old videos but the author keeps it simple teaching the basics of how to setup, move, cc, and fight relatively well.
    Last edited by JackBurton : 02-22-2014 at 12:54 PM
    Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it"

Blog Entries

I am running a full 5 man group:
    Paladin - tank
    Shaman - healer
    Moonkin
    Mage
    Hunter
    You've got a very flexible group there.

You can tank with either the Paladin or the Druid.
    And you can heal with the Paladin, Druid or Shaman (obviously, not whoever is currently tanking).

I've found the Paladin to be amongst the easiest classes to lead/tank groups with.

I personally prefer the Shaman healing style to that of the Druid.
    The Shaman pre-applies Earth Shield and a Riptide, then the tank pulls...
    I liked the Paladin healing, for PvP but less so for PvE stuff.

Another option, if you ever reach a point where you're undergeared for something, or otherwise unable to complete something... is to go with two healers.
    That's only really an option when there is no type of an enrage timer, where the mob gets especially nasty after 'x' minutes of fighting.
    At one point the Restoration Druid could do mana free Wrath attacks and the Restoration Shaman could do the same with Lightning Bolt; not sure if either of those abilities is still in the game, as the whole talent system has changed.

If it's not broken, it doesn't need to be fixed.
    And ultimately, if you're having fun then it is good as is.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
    MiRai I'm another guy that has always appreciated your videos. People that make educational videos are few and far between. I do have some feedback if your willing to consider them. One thing that your doing well in your videos is you have commentary in it. The three factors of learning are watching, listening and doing. Most video authors only provide one way of learning. Half of Multi-Boxing Videos are PVP videos and not tutorials. It would be nice if you could make some short back to basics videos. These are old videos but the author keeps it simple teaching the basics of how to setup, move, cc, and fight relatively well.
    Appreciate the feedback.

There is definitely a 'Gameplay Basics' video, possibly series, that has been on my list for quite some time now. It's been sitting on the list for so long because I'm just not entirely sure how to approach it (in the typical way that I make videos), but it is something that I do want to do.

I agree, Ualaa, Paladin tank seems easy to tank with, so good at picking up adds.
    At one point I was going to switch out for a DK, but now I love my Pally tank!
    <Aperture Science Academy> ~ Khaz'goroth (US/Oceanic)
    6x 5 Man Dungeon Teams (2 at 90, 4 at 85)

Diablo 3 - Dual Boxing:
    2x Wizards, 2x Witch Doctors

Check out my YouTube channel for some 'boxing vids!
    http://youtube.com/user/theOlz83

My first team made it to 85 today, so I'm going to park them and make the most of my remaining RAF time to level some other teams.

Multiboxing has been about the most fulfilling thing I've done in WoW for years, the feeling when I first made it through BRC was probably equivalent to the first time I saw Rag go down in vanilla.

Thanks again to everyone on this site who has posted guides and stuff, it has made the last few weeks a whole bunch of fun.

I'm pretty sure I'm now gonna be a multiboxer for life!! haha

~Olz
    <Aperture Science Academy> ~ Khaz'goroth (US/Oceanic)
    6x 5 Man Dungeon Teams (2 at 90, 4 at 85)

Diablo 3 - Dual Boxing:
    2x Wizards, 2x Witch Doctors

Check out my YouTube channel for some 'boxing vids!
    http://youtube.com/user/theOlz83

....Multiboxing has been about the most fulfilling thing I've done in WoW for year...
    I think most people on this site are of one accord with you. I remember I was ready to quit WoW at the start of Cata, as the game had pretty much taken the 'new expansion, race to max lvl, gear,get bored, roll another toon, rinse and repeat'. Multiboxing offers players an entirely new game effectively and if not that, then an entire new way to approach an old game. I've been fortunate enough to be able to recommend boxing to a lot of friends who were ready to walk away from the game...and they are still playing this game years later.

Welcome to the club brother