Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Tracking drops?

Default Tracking drops?

So was having fun on the ptr and decided since IS wasn't being used ofr WoW I may as well try the whole D3 thing.

It's been interesting so far, I really need to learn how to keep in sync better but that should be over time.....the issue I'm wondering about those is how everyone keeps track of legendary/set drops?

It is really slowing down leveling when I have to stop after every pack kill to scan over smaller windows on the other monitor to look for the stars but I'm not sure how else to do it. I've seen some guys on streams using a memory reader to make a sound but that's pushing the edges for me as it's actively interacting with the game so would rather avoid that if possible.

As a follow-up to this since it got views, I just thought about a possible solution that I'll try tonight.

I'm thinking that since the maps on D3 are all the same size and in the same location then the lines on them should all overlap quite neatly so if I put a viewer on each of the other screens and have all 3 viewer screens overlapping in the same-spot then I should see any star that appears one off-screens pop up on the active screen. I won't know which screen exactly to look at but I'll know I can quickly stop and look over to see the shafts. Hopefully this will work as it will save time in the long-run....might only take 10-30 seconds after a batch of mobs to turn my head and check the other screens but over a few hours a night that time will add up and given legendary drops are all about mobs/hour anything I can do to reduce downtime has to be worth it, especially if it means not running marginal software.

I made viewer's of the alt's minimap, at roughly 1/4 size and put them at the top of my main's screen in a row near the mini-map. I had to add a hotkey to hide them since it interferes with selecting the fourth paragon tab, but it's workable. Definitely beats looking at the secondary monitor every few seconds. I didn't think to try the transparency thing, did that work for you?

Another thing, is even with that, I sometimes don't notice. So I made it a habit to stop before leaving an area and open the map on everybody and do a spot check for stars. The occasional backtracking to pick up a legendary isn't that big of a deal.

The transparency idea didn't work, likely I didn't put enough time into trying to find alpha levels and such butjust had the maps dump on top of each other so if something dropped on the first slave it was covered by the map of the third. Ended up doing pretty much the same thing as you, and Mirai had a great videofx video up on youtube that pretty much solved the few issues I was having. I now up the 3 other maps down the bottom right of the screen as it covered the least important info in 150x150 size viewers and they only appear on the screen that is main client at the time.

This is a screenshot of how it appears on a drop...and love that Blizzard trolls by having the sound of a jewel dropping be the same as a legendary. That's one other thing I do too, turn off all sound but effects and have them set to play in the background, that way you can listen for leg drops too just in case you miss them on the map
    Name:  lootwindow.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  97.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Knytestorme : 03-22-2014 at 07:46 AM

I put mine at the top because I'm used to looking at my main's minimap, and the only thing they obscure is the paragon spending window, and tooltips. I added a hotkey to disable them.

I've been messing around with WW barbs and Strafe DH's so decided it was worthwihle to keep an eye on the resources of my other characters, so added viewers for them in the bottom right.

Name:  blargh.png
Views: 326
Size:  224.2 KB

I've gone ahead and broken up my minimaps into a quadrant and overlayed it on top of my main client's minimap via a dxNothing window.

http://i2.minus.com/iiVIoZBu2AxHc.png

I just set that up today, so I have no idea if it's going to be annoying not having my own, larger, minimap.

I had issues getting dxnothing to work on my second monitor. The feeds would stop showing if it didn't have focus. Here's what I ended up with on my main window:
    Name:  voExdQo.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  119.0 KB
    Added some more feeds in for xp bars and resources. Planning on adding another thing somewhere that could show me major cooldowns, like archon.

Quote Originally Posted by jabowah View Post
    I had issues getting dxnothing to work on my second monitor. The feeds would stop showing if it didn't have focus.
    Step 3 when setting up dxNothing as a Character:

Check the "Video FX Viewers stay when in background (blocks Video FX Sources!)" box.
    Here's what I ended up with on my main window:
    Name:  voExdQo.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  119.0 KB
    I was using that setup, but I felt that I kept looking past the slave minimaps and I was just looking at my own.

Planning on adding another thing somewhere that could show me major cooldowns, like archon.
    I was also thinking about this.

I tried with the minimaps at the top, to the right and in quadrant around main map but just felt my view of things as I was moving around the screen was negatively impacted and down the bottom was best spot. If they had the same UI sysytem as WoW so we could modify things like sizes (and get rid of the chat panel) then I'd likely make them all 150x150 and put up in the same space as the main map

So looking at Mirai's pic finally it's pretty much what I was considering and if I can add in things like resources to it as well that's pretty cool...mihgt look into this dxNothing
    Last edited by Knytestorme : 03-23-2014 at 09:53 PM

I just keep an eye and ear out - then half way through a map, or at the end I bring up the large maps and look for the stars. They are very visible even in small windows