Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Default RAF dungeon boosting - a few questions - blizz black friday sale

Long time ago I used to triple box and I did some boosting. I took a long absence from the game but am now back and on a new realm AND faction. In order to save costs on cross-faction/realm transfers, I'm considering using the Blizzard black friday sale of $4.99 for a wow account.

I have been accused of being too verbose, so I'm going to try and ask my questions in point form:
    1. How many wow accounts can you have under one battle.net account? I currently have three wow accounts (two dormant that have already used their scroll of rez free 80's) AND a wow starter edition account...would I be able to add FOUR NEW accounts or would I hit a limit? If there is a limit would I be able to convert one recruit-a-friend invitation to use up my starter account and would it still benefit from RAF?
    2. Of my 90's, which would be better to boost with and spec? L90 rogue 510 iLvl, L90 priest 502 iLvl, L90 hunter 486 iLvl
    3. In the past the maximum XP boost you could get was 300% which is what RAF provides. Is this still true IE is there no point to equipping the boostees with heirlooms (but I do have enough heirlooms to kit them all out)?
    4. Is it feasible to boost ONE SET of FOUR TOONS 11-90 in the ONE FREE MONTH you get with buying wow? In a "reasonable working adult's play time" schedule...
    5. If I boost using the below dungeon schedule (additionally doing the dungeon quests on each boosted toon), is it lots of runs each for the lower level dungeons or will the toons level at light-speed via RAF and only require 2-5 runs of each dungeon?

Dungeon schedule:
    1-11: quest each toon solo (with heirlooms)
    11-21: Shadowfang Keep
    21-33: Scarlet Monastery
    33-37: Scholomance
    37-48: Stratholme (live side once for quests then undead til done)
    48-58: Lower & Upper Blackrock Spire
    58-63: Hellfire Ramparts & Blood Furnace
    63-68.5: Sethekk Halls & Shadow Labyrinth
    68.5-70: Ring of Blood (Nagrand)
    70-75: Utgarde Keep, The Nexus, Azjol-Nerub, Ahn-Kahet, Drak'Tharon Keep (assume once each including quests)
    75-76: Ring of Blood (Northrend)
    76-80: Gundrak, Violet Hold, Halls of Stone, Halls of Lightning (assume once each including quests)

From 80 - 90 with RAF expired I would one by one transfer them to my main account and hand-level them.

**Please answer today Nov/29/2013 so if this is viable I can get in on Blizzard's $4.99 wow account sale.
    Shadowsong US:
    Moosetracks (surv FORMER raiding main) armory L80
    Mousetracks (assass/combat former raiding main) armory L80
    Background (holy, to be new raiding main) armory L79

Team A (Level 75) (retired, priest extracted to above)
    Foreground (prot) armory
    Middleground(demo) armory

1. you can have a total of 8 game accounts on one B.net account.
    2. Not sure But I would go with Blood DK
    3. Don't know
    4. yes it is easy. I am currently boxing upto 11 teams with my 90 days RAF exp. so far 30 days are up tomorrow I have one team at 85, 70 45, 42, 40 40 and I have been going slow.
    5. Don't know never boosted on ran teams of equal level.

BTW RAF is to 85 now too.

Quote Originally Posted by falsfire3401 View Post
    1. How many wow accounts can you have under one battle.net account? I currently have three wow accounts (two dormant that have already used their scroll of rez free 80's) AND a wow starter edition account...would I be able to add FOUR NEW accounts or would I hit a limit? If there is a limit would I be able to convert one recruit-a-friend invitation to use up my starter account and would it still benefit from RAF?
    2. Of my 90's, which would be better to boost with and spec? L90 rogue 510 iLvl, L90 priest 502 iLvl, L90 hunter 486 iLvl
    3. In the past the maximum XP boost you could get was 300% which is what RAF provides. Is this still true IE is there no point to equipping the boostees with heirlooms (but I do have enough heirlooms to kit them all out)?
    4. Is it feasible to boost ONE SET of FOUR TOONS 11-90 in the ONE FREE MONTH you get with buying wow? In a "reasonable working adult's play time" schedule...
    5. If I boost using the below dungeon schedule (additionally doing the dungeon quests on each boosted toon), is it lots of runs each for the lower level dungeons or will the toons level at light-speed via RAF and only require 2-5 runs of each dungeon?
    I just did a run of RAF and did 1 paladin and 4 shaman (1 resto 3 enh) and I got from 1-85 in a weekend with heirlooms and guild bonus. I think that it is MUCH quicker and more convenient to run the dungeon finder with a whole group than it would be to instance boost. Up until 70, I rarely had to run the same dungeon more than once, as the exp bonus from dungeon finder and quests often dinged me out of the range of the dungeon by the time I was done. In low lvl dungeons, the tank does the most damage anyway, so macros aren't important, I was basically just facerolling the keyboard. I never once had to step foot outside of a capital city once I hit 15, all the way to 85. Not having to fly around and summon toons made it so much faster and more efficient.

That said, your plan looks solid, and may be easier than setting up UIs and spells/macros for all the toons.

To answer your points:

1. 8 is the maximum regular accounts (the other two slots are reserved for Beta/PTR)
    2. I like to pick a toon that can rez, just in case things go south, but just about any toon is fine.
    3. Everything stacks, guild bonus, Heirlooms, wintergrasp, 9th anniversary etc. It appears to be cumulative, so you get 100% base, plus 45% heirlooms (assuming you have all slots but the ring) 10% guild, and 9% 9th anniversary buff, plus 300% of all that combined, added to the total, adding up to a huge amount, somewhere near 450%
    4. Yes. Getting to 85 is insanely easy, like I said I did it over a weekend. 85-90 was reduced recently, with the 9th anniversary buff, I was already more than half way to 86 just by completing the first area of jade forest.
    5. You shouldn't have to run more than a couple times per dungeon, although it increases as you level up, and also there are fewer quests torwards the end, further slowing the process. I ran a lot of utgarde keep.

I noticed there were a replies right before I was about to submit mine, but I figured I would just include what I had to say even though others have probably answered the questions.

How many wow accounts can you have under one battle.net account?
    Eight non-beta and non-PTR accounts, regardless of region.

I currently have three wow accounts (two dormant that have already used their scroll of rez free 80's) AND a wow starter edition account...would I be able to add FOUR NEW accounts or would I hit a limit?
    It doesn't sound like you're going to hit the limit.

If there is a limit would I be able to convert one recruit-a-friend invitation to use up my starter account and would it still benefit from RAF?
    You can't use an old account (trial or not) for RaF, but you can remove it from your account.

Of my 90's, which would be better to boost with and spec? L90 rogue 510 iLvl, L90 priest 502 iLvl, L90 hunter 486 iLvl
    http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/5...l=1#post385540

In the past the maximum XP boost you could get was 300% which is what RAF provides. Is this still true IE is there no point to equipping the boostees with heirlooms (but I do have enough heirlooms to kit them all out)?
    I can't honestly answer this, but 300% is such a large increase that it's unlikely you'd notice much of a difference in leveling speed.

Is it feasible to boost ONE SET of FOUR TOONS 11-90 in the ONE FREE MONTH you get with buying wow? In a "reasonable working adult's play time" schedule...
    The definition of "reasonable working adult's play time" varies greatly, but I don't see why not.

is it lots of runs each for the lower level dungeons ...?
    No.

Dungeon schedule:
    1-11: quest each toon solo (with heirlooms)
    11-21: Shadowfang Keep
    If you're playing Alliance you'll be walking them to SFK at that level unless you are chaining your accounts A>B>C>D>E for the RaF summon. Summoning stones don't work until level 15.

As for the rest of the dungeon route, I can't say for certain.

From 80 - 90 with RAF expired I would one by one transfer them to my main account and hand-level them.
    RaF goes to 85 now.

**Please answer today Nov/29/2013 so if this is viable I can get in on Blizzard's $4.99 wow account sale.
    Blizzard's digital sale goes until next week.

Thank you all for your answers. Wow I didn't expect them so fast! You're great...I'm remembering fondly how wonderful the boxing community is.

So despite the fact my GM/girlfriend says I'm crazy to consider this (she thinks $30 ($4.99 + $25 to transfer to main account) is too steep for an 85), I'm still considering it.

To address my points and your answers:

1. Awesome. I'll exactly hit eight wow accounts (with the dormant accounts plus the starter prior to its removal)

2. Regarding which to boost with - I know the rogue best as I've played her since 2004, and she's my best geared toon. I primarily do Combat spec, but I think unless they've changed things, I'll use Assassination to be able to spam Fan of Knives (there used to be a 1.0 talent that granted 3 energy every time you crit - and if you FoK a large pack of mobs each press gives you enough crits to return the entire 60 energy spent)

3. So awesome that all the bonuses stack. 45% heirloom (shoulders chest cloak hat pants) plus 9% plus guild plus RAF is what they'll have.

4. Lol @ reasonable play time. I generally play 5/7 days each week from about 1830-2300 so 22.5 hrs/week average.

5. Glad it won't be a headache-inducing number of runs of the lower dungeons. In the past I remember boosting required dozens of runs of each dungeon such as ST, SM Cath, etc.

6. I won't do same-level pally + shamans - I specifically want to boost a warrior, warlock, druid, shaman and would like to not have to setup macros (except assist+loot and follow/stopfollow) so I'll use my L90 rogue to boost. Yes I will therefore ensure the RAF bonus is intact by chaining A->B->C->D

7. I forgot about the RAF summon - yes my rogue can fly to SFK and summon B summons C summons D

8. RAF to 85 is great

Some new/additional questions:

1) Are cata dungeons easily boostable by a L90? I was thinking that just for ease of getting to, I'd use Blackrock Caverns all the way 80-85 is this feasible?

2) Is Jamba still around as an addon? I recall how wonderful it was for auto-forming the group etc.

3) For keyboard multicasting, I used to use Hotkeynet is it still around/viable/recommended? I will only need a very basic setup to make the toons do: follow, stopfollow (via pressing down arrow), assist, interact with target (for looting quest items)

4) In BRC when Omok "chains" us together, if I just let the boostees die to his big smash will they still get XP? I know they'll still get quest credit and loot. I think it would be too awkward/difficult to move them unless I can sling them up with /follow and run away fast. Even if they don't get exp for him, they would still for all the other trash and bosses so it wouldn't be a huge loss eh?
    Shadowsong US:

Foreground (prot) armory

As usual I'll chime in with best booster... guardian druid. Two sprints, unlimited snare/root break, 2 charge/leap, swipe to win. At 80-85 when high damage starts to help, demonology warlock can do some insane stuff (I got a 35 minute 80-85 boost from a heroic geared demo warlock in grim batol, he just pulled and blew up the entire instance).

However the 80-85s can just as well be done with a guardian druid, Blood DK, or even prot warrior, just with slower killing (but it doesn't really matter because with the kind of xp boost you will be getting it's <1 hour for those 5 levels).

For the lower ones, since you have to do a lot of runs, I prefer something with the most mobility possible. Guardian Druid or Prot Warrior. DKs can do all of it no problem, but they're slow.

Never played a brewmaster but given their ultra-high damage for a tank and good mobility, if you have one, why not.

Edit: Out of your 90s I'd probably pick the rogue for speed. 13-80 he won't have a damage or survivability problem; except some of the BC instances may give you trouble with snares/stuns but you can always slow down the pull. I always say guardian druid because it's the only one I've used that can pull everything in every instance and never end up getting douched by chain snares or stuns (if stunned, you're tank, it's cool).
    Last edited by heyaz : 11-29-2013 at 06:34 PM

Aye, I can see how a guardian druid would be best. But I don't have one of those - I'm boosting a druid lol.

Chain stuns can be a problem if you're not expecting them. I was once boosting using a prot paladin prior to cata, and pulled all of LBRS. The mobs had a knockdown. I had pulled enough that they had me permanently on my back. They weren't doing hardly any damage, but I couldn't get up or cast anything. It would have taken them half an hour or more to actually kill me I think, but I didn't want to wait around so I alt-F4'ed and the game said, "screw you" and I logged back in as a ghost Fun times.
    Shadowsong US:

Foreground (prot) armory

Some new/additional questions:

1) Are cata dungeons easily boostable by a L90? I was thinking that just for ease of getting to, I'd use Blackrock Caverns all the way 80-85 is this feasible?
    If the booster has decent gear, probably, but I think most people do an AOE grind instead of Cata dungeons. Here's some more threads -

http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/4...ng-suggestions
    http://www.dual-boxing.com/threads/48993-86-90-Uggh!!!

2) Is Jamba still around as an addon? I recall how wonderful it was for auto-forming the group etc.
    Yes. The Jamba thread and the Guide are both stickied in the macros forum.

3) For keyboard multicasting, I used to use Hotkeynet is it still around/viable/recommended? I will only need a very basic setup to make the toons do: follow, stopfollow (via pressing down arrow), assist, interact with target (for looting quest items)
    I still use HotKeyNet.

4) In BRC when Omok "chains" us together, if I just let the boostees die to his big smash will they still get XP? I know they'll still get quest credit and loot. I think it would be too awkward/difficult to move them unless I can sling them up with /follow and run away fast. Even if they don't get exp for him, they would still for all the other trash and bosses so it wouldn't be a huge loss eh?
    I don't know about the XP, but if you can break the chain, all you need to do is strafe everyone out of the way. It's way faster than waiting for them to leash on /follow.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

Thank you all for your answers. Wow I didn't expect them so fast! You're great...I'm remembering fondly how wonderful the boxing community is.

So despite the fact my GM/girlfriend says I'm crazy to consider this (she thinks $30 ($4.99 + $25 to transfer to main account) is too steep for an 85), I'm still considering it.

If you RAF 4 accounts from your main you can grant to lvl 85 from the RAF'd accounts, BUT you would have to box them in a 5 man team and you would end up with 3 lvl 85's on your main account. and then you would also have the other 4 if you want to transfer.

Think I hit 85 in around 2-3 days played so completely doable within your 30 days.

I boosted a team with a lvl 90 rogue, and did the Cata dungeons. For Omok I kept the slaves on follow (instead of dropping them off at casting range) and when he chained us, I broke the chains, hit follow again (the disc priest loses follow when she channels) and then ran away to get them out of the AoE. He was dead before he chained again.

The Mist dungeons were the problem. The booster isn't all that relatively strong and it's difficult to deal with some of the mechanics as a multi-boxer. I ended up just questing through there.

Blizz has made the collection quests a lot easier in Mist -- on many you can get the same item off each corpse, and even the ones that you have to find on the ground automatically spawn more quickly if you have multiple people collecting them. I usually skip either Krasarang or Kun-Lai Summit and then hit 90 in Townlong Steppes.
    Last edited by MiRai : 12-02-2013 at 05:19 PM Reason: Formatting