Close
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 32
    Rated Arena Member

Default I got an idea :)

Hello Dual-Boxing.com

It has been a long time since I've posted here, I had some time away from World of Warcraft
    Especially afer 5.2, I believe I don't have to explain why

Insted of playing games I have started to develop games, or at least as much as I can, and quite honestly, that's not a lot... but
    I find it more entertaining to actually develop. Imagin'ing running around controling 4 characters simutaniously.

For a long time I have been thinkin' perhaps I'm not the only one missing something.

Perhaps some of you, talented people, would be interrested in game-development? ((( As a hobby )))

Perhaps, let us come together, on a big, hard, and extreamly tough road, and let us walk together?

This won't be a fulltime job, we start slow, we talk together, and enjoy what we do.
    eventually at some point, we can walk around each other, and sooner or later, we plan GUI, AI, and so on.

I can't stress this enougth, I know this is a big challenge, and some of you might be afraid of doing it
    just because of that.

But givin' up is never the solution, it is alright to make mistakes! eventually they become lessons anyway
    So don't be afraid.

I'm still a beginner, but I can imagine the posibilities this forum could have, (we all love the same thing)

Let us merge our passion, and be positive, and enjoy this whole trip

Let us create, our own multibox friendly MMO.

In general, I am interrested in everyone around here, because I know you all love this sandbox element to mmo games.
    unfortunately not every themepark can hold a sandbox.

Game Idea:

The game is based around our solar system, each planet has its own race, planet earth has earthlings, mars has marsians and so on.
    But the battle for resources has begun, even between individual species, noone can be trusted, noone are hostile. every player, is an enemy.
    unless you form a party or raid to hunt and slay other parties or raids.

The game has no PVE content, it is only a PVP game, "no flying mounts".

Each planet, has its own resources, and useable goods (remember the herbs from felwood) something like that.
    which is also how you get "level" there is no level, like in world of warcraft, only proffesion levels.
    you also get abilities though proffesions. which also means there are no classes, only different races.

Each planet has a specific amount of gold, honor, xp and loot that you can get, which I like to call the 100% zone's

However, the sun, is a 500% zone, meaning you will get 5 times as much gold, honor, xp and loot if you play on the sun
    BUT::: Be aware, if you die, you lose everything that you carry, you're gear, you're gold, and you're inventory goods.

The game will have an auction house, where people can sell gear they craft or loot. but it will also have bounties
    forexample: (Bring me the head of Kruschpak, and I will give you 1000g)... sorry krusch <3
    now if a player has a bounty on him, and you don't know it, then you will still loot the head, and be able to bring it
    to the auction house, to collect you're reward.
    And yes, those bounties are created by other people, obviously.

Now I have to tell you about the gear system, in this game, you wont kill a wolf that somehow carries a sword.
    Nooo, everything is crafted out of materials you gather, or steal from other people "PVPing" and every item you create
    is randomized (like in Diablo)...

I think this sums of the main idea, without making this thread 100 pages long, obviously I have a lot more to tell, because I've really used my imagination a lot to try and get out of the themepark
    based MMO.

But first, I wanna know if people dare to take up this challenge with me .

Let me know if you are interrested, and I'll make sure you have a good time.

What We Need
    Zone Developers
    Story Developers
    2D Artists
    3D Artists
    Sound Artists (including voice artists)
    C#(client) & Java(server) Programmers --- (My programmer corrected me)

/Selz

PS: To inspire you, I will show you how far we can go!
    (I have not made this, but together we have no limits)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SksljyTz8LM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qbP7Z4btVvc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ipln2a7jrqs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lKrdObxjwl8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=4qjtWIWThWU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wsq1oWThCLY
    Last edited by Selz : 08-25-2013 at 08:06 AM Reason: typo

actually a leveling system without level but gearing would be good start to get away from the usual mmo's these days, sun sounds a bit too much hardcore mode though , maybe lose x amount of gold when you die instead of uninstalling the game

Rated Arena Member

Hehe, it is suppost to be tough, here it is important to state that you only lose the amount you carry, don't have wow in you're mind, you will have a personal bank.
    But obviously you also want to have some gold on you, I can explain that later

Dark Souls publisher FROM IMO will rule the roost in the coming decade. They will be eating Blizzard's lunch in the next 2-3 iterations. You watch for it.

They have what I'd consider the smoothest controls, best lore approach and best Art team in the ARPG business today. If they move that to an MMO it can only be big news. It's still a relatively small company so it'll take time and recognition to get there but they have all the promise in the world.

Blizzard is going down the tubes because despite having an extraordinary team of developers and Artists, they are being muscled to the ground by poor designers. It just goes to show a handful of guys can screw the pooch in a major development outfit. So more or less, it isn't about money. Look at what Derek Yu did with Spelunky. It's all about ambition, talent and having your nose to the ground on what makes a good game. Nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMilitia View Post
    Blizzard is going down the tubes because despite having an extraordinary team of developers and Artists, they are being muscled to the ground by poor designers. It just goes to show a handful of guys can screw the pooch in a major development outfit.
    What are you talking about?
    Everything that is fun in life is either bad for your health, immoral or illegal!

Blizzard can get their act together as easily as anyone else. If they have poor designers then maybe next quarter management starts investing in designers, or maybe the investors replace the CEO.

I really dont think a few problems here and there means the end of the company. Only sometimes.

Rated Arena Member

MadMilitia, Zenga, JohnGabriel

I would appreciate if you could keep this thread on topic, i'm not interrested in what other companies do, and I don't wan't a Fan/Hater war out of this post.
    Last edited by Selz : 08-24-2013 at 11:37 PM

Selz,

Someone will inevitably try to steer it that way but that's not why I posted it here.

Game development is very serious work and it will take as stated plenty of ambition AND knowledge of your demographic to move it anywhere. Not to be a hardass or anything but if you're floating it as a hobby you may want to do something else with your time. Maybe get into Art in general to see what kind of goals you could set and accomplish.

Rated Arena Member

I know you mean this in a positive way, so i'm not "blowing my cooldowns on you".

I am very well aware of the challenge this trip will be, but I am not going to spend my time elsewhere without takin' the first step, and let me advice you never to do so either
    because that only leaves you with regret.

Secondly, I hope you take this in a positive way, and keep this thread positive and open minded for other people, I don't want people to imidiatly
    walk away just because of negativity.

Thirdly, There is a reason this starts as a hobby, in theory, everything does.

(I don't quite believe "having your nose in the ground" is as important as putting your nose into the ground)

Thank you.
    Last edited by Selz : 08-25-2013 at 12:53 AM

You can always pick up software such as Unity 3D, or 3D game studio.