Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 21

Khatovar I want to say thank you for helping me figure this out. I redid a priority systemon my DK and like you had said in the past I had some 8 mile long cast sequence that I had to sit there for hours and figure out the timing on the runes. Using this system my DPS went from 13.5 on the AOE level 80 dummies to 16.5. On the single target boss mob it went from 4.4 to 6.0. I ran a few hots and sure enough my DPS was way up across the boards. Now I just have to figure out a DPS spec.

Nice, glad to hear it. This system is easier to figure out than talents at this point, lol.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

This was awesome... I use an old saitek command pad and have a repeater set up to cycle through the action bar buttons 1-6 4 times a second. This series of 5 macros works really well... Thank you so much. I hadn't thought about the null piece and it makes tons of sense...

What talents did you take on your DK?
    Last edited by Raist : 09-07-2012 at 05:08 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Raist View Post
    This was awesome... I use an old saitek command pad and have a repeater set up to cycle through the action bar buttons 1-6 4 times a second. This series of 5 macros works really well... Thank you so much. I hadn't thought about the null piece and it makes tons of sense...

What talents did you take on your DK?
    You can not use keypads and or keyboards to automatically press keys for you without interaction. Blizzard frowns on this and it can get you band from the game. The Logitech G series with the macro keys has this function as well, I use the G11 keyboard, but if you use the automation function it can and will get your account/s band. If that is what you are referring to doing, you will have to reread what the Manifesto is about, because this is not it. One keypress sends out multiple commands, much like a single macro which I use for Bartender addon:

/click BT4Button1
    /click BT4Button2
    /click BT4Button3
    /click BT4Button4
    /click BT4Button5
    /click BT4Button6

If placed on the E/Q keys, or anywhere else, will send a single command to press all 6 of those buttons at the same time and fire off whatever is first in the list, off the Global Cool Down, available, and manage to be cast. By no means a perfect setup, but it is oldschool and still works on some level, lag/# of keypresses effect the outcome.

Again, DO NOT USE AUTOMATION. Other than that, have fun, good luck, and may the DPS Gods smile upon you.

So I have a quick clarification question. Using the system described here how does isboxer know to fire off the first spell in the priority list and then work its way down (accounting for CD)

I understand why we want I set it up that way, I just don't understand how it knows to start at the top and work its way down (knowing what is off cool down and what is currently on cool down). Does that make sense?

Toonarmy
    i7-920 / 12GB/ 280m / 1920x1200 / 80 gig X25-M / 5 boxing; works just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Toonarmy View Post
    So I have a quick clarification question. Using the system described here how does isboxer know to fire off the first spell in the priority list and then work its way down (accounting for CD)
    It doesn't. It sends the game the entire list and the game processes the first thing that it is able to successfully cast, with the global cooldown making it block/ignore everything after that.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    It doesn't. It sends the game the entire list and the game processes the first thing that it is able to successfully cast, with the global cooldown making it block/ignore everything after that.
    My apologies Khat, I wasn't clear. When you say, "the first thing that it is able to cast ..." where does "it" start from? And in what order does it try to successfully cast things? Does it try and cast in the order that the macro calls the spell (starting with the first spell everytime)?

Hopefully that is more clear. If not I'll try again : )

Toonarmy

It starts with the game, on Blizzard's servers. From my understanding, the servers will process it just like it would an ingame macro. Say you have a macro like this

Code:
    /assist party1
    /castsequence spell1, spell2, spell3
    /cast something else
    /say Whooties!!
    /click actionbutton#
    /swapactionbar 2
    Blizzard's servers receives all that information at once when you press the macro and processes it from the top down, taking any action that {according to its coding/rules} it is able to process and neglecting anything else until the next time it is sent. When it is sent again, it starts right back at the top looking for the first thing it can process.

The priority system works on the exact same principal, but rather than sending a macro with a ton of commands, we're sending a list of keys

Code:
    <Key 1>
    <Key 2>
    <Key 3>
    <Key 4>
    Again, Blizzard's servers receives all the keys and just like the macro it goes from the top down, calling the associated macros/abilities in order until it has processed everything it can according to its' rules.

Outside of the order we put the keys in our list, all the "decisions" are made by and on Blizzard's servers, according to their rules.

Think of it like sending Blizzard a box of groceries.

We can pack the box putting the bread on top, a jar of peanut butter underneath that, maybe an assortment of jams under that, perhaps a jar of Nutella and a YooHoo on the bottom. Blizzard gets the whole package at the same time, and will have to unpack it in the same order {bread first, YooHoo last - 'cuz that's the way Mama Bliz taught them to do things}.

Maybe they get excited and Blizzard says "Awesome! Bread!" and starts eating slices of bread, ignoring everything else in the box. Maybe they aren't totally consumed by the bread because it's full of stuff off the GCD and doesn't need two hands to eat, so they use their free hand to keep unpacking the box, and they come across the peanut butter.

Now they need to stop and put the peanut butter on the bread. Or maybe not. Maybe they just had peanut butter so now they're on peanut butter cooldown.

So they set it aside and come across the jams. And one by one they look at the kinds of jams they have, perhaps sampling them in order. Unless they're also on jam cooldown and decide to keep digging through the package.

And they come across the Nutella, and maybe they slap that on some of their bread, unless they have a strict rule about Nutella where they can only eat it for dessert {think Execute or proc conditions } or perhaps they can't resist Nutella and have have it all the time 'cuz Nutella is never on cooldown.

But maybe, just maybe, they don't want any of that stuff and all they're left with is a YooHoo at the bottom of the box. But with all that bread, they sure could use a drink, so they put everything else away and sit down with their Yoohoo and their bread and wait for the next package we send, which they'll still have to unpack bread first, but maybe they're on bread cooldown by then...

I think that makes the general point, lol.

Yeah, I'm just a little hungry.

Yup. Awesome. Thanks.

I'll have to give this some thought as to how it best applies to my 84 balance Druids. Unless someone already has it figured out and would like to share.

Toonarmy

​EDIT: turns out that 5 > 1 in more than just math. Swapping the order of the key presses so that Mangle is Ky 5 down through Lacerate as Key 2 fixes this. So far. An only for the druid.

I just switched all my toons to this structure and things are certainly a lot easier but I have a question for the non-DK users of this system. Do you find the client making sub-optimal choices and if so how do you increase the likelihood of getting more critical abilities to fire.

Let me give a concrete example.

I use a druid tank and so have a macro to case Farie Fire & then lock on Key 1, Mangle on Key 2, Thrash on Key 3, Swipe on Key 4, and Lacerate on Key 5. The problem I keep seeing is that I end up with an over abundance of Lacerate and not enough use of Mangle. This is especially problematic as Lacerate, Thrash, & Swipe can all reset Mangle's cool-down so not having it trigger whenever it can is a clear DPS loss. Yes, yes, it's a tank not a DPS class but my toons are sufficiently gear challenged that every little bit helps.

My understanding is that the following macro will lock if the first time is on CD so I can't even macro the more critical abilities in front of the lesser ones
    Code:
    /cast Mangle
    /cast Lacerate
    I end up with a similar problem on my hunter. Put Steady Shot on it's own button and Chimera Shot gets wasted. Macro a combination or Arcane Shot and a series of steady shots and I end up focus starved.

Anyone else run into this?
    Last edited by Iru : 09-21-2012 at 03:05 AM