Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 13

Default A little Diablo 3 info for the people who haven't played.

After being a bit burned out on wow, I decided to check out D3. I had a great time playing it solo and in a few multiplayer groups (4 players max per game). I level capped my Witchdoctor to 60 in about a week.

Once you're level capped, you basically grind for gear to increase your players survivability or DPS so you can take on the hardest things in the game - which happen to be in Inferno mode, act 3 and 4 (I think I heard about 2% of the players got to this level so far). So first you beat the game on normal mode, then nightmare, then hell mode, then you finally unlock inferno mod. There's also a fun "pony" level that you unlock that has some of the hardest mobs in the game as well.

One thing about D3 is that it's just totally random, from the drops to the mobs you fight (aside from certain "boss" battles). You run across these elite packs that have random special abilities on your way through the game. For instance, you might run across a pack of plagued, teleporting, mortar, reflect damage elites. To get the best odds at getting the best gear in the game, you'll need to kill these elite packs, and on the hardest levels. Some of them are just pretty much close to impossible to beat, so you might need exit the level and restart it.

When you finish off an elite pack, you get a buff (this assumes you have a level 60 character). It stacks up to 5 times, 1 per elite pack killed and lasts for 30 minutes, and refreshes on the next elite pack you kill. When you have 5 stacks, you have the best odds of getting the "rare" drops. Again, it's totally random, so you could kill a normal white monster and it could drop an incredible item. But the elite packs are guaranteed to drop a blue, and in some instances yellows - which typically can be the best items in the game. But again, it's totally random, so you might get a yellow item that's total garbage. It's very, VERY rare to get a yellow item that is rolled "perfectly", with all the right stats. These can sell for 50 million gold, or $250 on the D3 real money auction house.

There are typically dozens of these elite packs before boss encounters. Most you can avoid. The hardest levels have a chance to drop the top gear, which is like the wow item level. So Inferno Act 1 may only drop ilevel 60 gear or below, act 2 will drop 61 or below and act 3 can drop 62 or 63 gear or below.

New gear can be purchased on the D3 auction house for gold, and they also introduced the "Real Money" AH. So you can list a item you find for $50 or $100 if you want. The cheapest is $1 and the most you can list for is $250 I believe.

D3 muiltiboxes pretty well. I was able to get to 60 on 3 other characters at the same time in a couple days, using my level 60 to power level the others. It's not Wow, but it's pretty easy to play. There's no follow or macros, but the controls are pretty simple, and it's easy to keep your group together and attacking the same stuff without micromanaging the other windows.

With the auction house (It's like wow's AH but 1000x bigger), the constant gear upgrades and searching for the best gear, re-specing your characters, there's actually a ton of stuff to do in the game, it's a lot of fun.

You don't need to buy a subscription, you just need to buy copies of the game and you're good to go.

Anyway, I was going to post some info about my characters and setup later.
    -Kicksome
    Sweet* teams - <unGankable> - Kil'Jaeden US Alliance - 10x Shamans, 9x DKs 1x Pally, 10x Drews

After seeing all these posts about D3, I have been tinkering with the idea in my mind. I think x4 witchdoctors would be a blast.
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

If not fixed you can skip alot of the game.

If you are just starting and get invited to a friends group who are on a different act, you automatically skip to that act and it stays completed even after the party disbands.

I have no idea if that works the same for hell mode or not, but would be quickest to just get invited to a hell mode group and skip having to complete normal/hard modes.

I have boxed 2 alts (with me and my roomate) and just left them in town for their extra Magic Find since it gets shared across all chars. I kinda like the extra challenge the mobs have with more people in the game (their health goes up and more rare/elites). They get experience for quests even if they do nothing to help with them. They get money for quests for standing still. I bring them to the front door of dungeons for events (if there is one) so they get experience/money from it. I bring them to the boss fights, but they die about 1/2 way through since I don't move them. I haven't tried to use click broadcasting since I haven't used it for like 5+ years in WOW.

Do you really not notice your chars drifting off after a little bit of movement since no /follow?
    Do you mostly rely on ranged/untargeted attacks since making sure they all face and walk the same way is hard to do?
    What software do you use for your click broadcasting?
    What do you do if your followers get feared (nightmared) to get them back together and facing so you can either fight or move onto the next mobs?
    What has been the most use of the alts, or is it just for challenge? I liked harder mobs, more elites, more magic find and bag space.

I would love if there was just a simple /go PlayerName just like the banners in town and I would use that as /follow. I would probably use a monk for aura (mantra) and rest ranged since you will at least hit things most of the time. I would probably use Shift (hold still and attack) since it would stop them from wandering all over.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGabriel View Post
    If not fixed you can skip alot of the game.

If you are just starting and get invited to a friends group who are on a different act, you automatically skip to that act and it stays completed even after the party disbands.
    There was a patch recently with notes that said you can no longer skip entire acts in multiplayer games. This is probably what they meant

Do you really not notice your chars drifting off after a little bit of movement since no /follow?
    Do you mostly rely on ranged/untargeted attacks since making sure they all face and walk the same way is hard to do?
    What software do you use for your click broadcasting?
    What do you do if your followers get feared (nightmared) to get them back together and facing so you can either fight or move onto the next mobs?
    What has been the most use of the alts, or is it just for challenge? I liked harder mobs, more elites, more magic find and bag space.
    1. Moving together is definitely a challenge but there are some tricks. Here's a few D3 Quick Start Guide: How do I keep my characters in sync?
    2. My wife and kids keep me from boxing this game too much yet (the moment I turn it on, my 3 year old wants to play it too. minus one account. then he wants the wife to play. minus two accounts. lol) but if you're inside one of the dungeon type areas there's plenty of walls around, you can probably pull things into a corner fairly easily. Certain type of elites would probably be a pain in the ass (molten shielded vortex of death?)
    3. Kicksome plays on one PC (which means ISBoxer); here's his screenshot in The Commons http://www.dual-boxing.com/commons/s...ferno%2C-Act-4 (click the up arrow either on the dual-boxing.com front page or on that page, to vote it up and encourage more Diablo 3 screenshots and videos )
    4. Goes back to #1
    5. Can only speak for myself really but I think a lot of people want to try to do it just because they can get loot x4 and not have to worry about some other ID-10-T getting in the way. The challenge is always good too.

Lax
    Author of ISBoxer
    Video: ISBoxer Quick Start

I've enjoyed Diablo, but the repetition is starting to get to me (the fact that I need to run through the game 3 times on the same character to reach "max level" and "end game" seems very counter-intuitive). I'm probably going to finish Nightmare on my Witchdoctor and then return to boxing in WoW.
    BeerbaronBeerbaronessBeerlordBeerladyBeerprincess
    Katiebird/PinktailsBluetailsRedtailsGreentailsWhitetails
    < Ascended >
    Bonechewer US - Alliance

you can power level you characters by repeating a high quest reward fast quest. I've acutally got 2 accounts and been Dual boxing inferno just finished act 2.

Quote Originally Posted by cichard View Post
    you can power level you characters by repeating a high quest reward fast quest. I've acutally got 2 accounts and been Dual boxing inferno just finished act 2.
    can you give an example?.. like i know your alts can not go to the harder modes until they finish all the previous acts. So you mean take them to act 3 or 4 of normal and spam a quest? can one quest be done more than once? how?
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    can you give an example?.. like i know your alts can not go to the harder modes until they finish all the previous acts. So you mean take them to act 3 or 4 of normal and spam a quest? can one quest be done more than once? how?
    At the character splash screen, one of the option buttons on the left is "Change Quest". You can then select to jump to any point in the story line that you've already completed on that character and run it over and over again.
    BeerbaronBeerbaronessBeerlordBeerladyBeerprincess
    Katiebird/PinktailsBluetailsRedtailsGreentailsWhitetails
    < Ascended >
    Bonechewer US - Alliance

All you need to do is get a high lvl toon to invite you to the last boss in each act. Beat the boss then go straight to next act's last boss......and so on.

And yes, a quest can be done over and over and over. I grinded hell act 1 up to the wretched mother quest. Turned that quest in for 44k xp. Takes 5 min.
    Quest xp plus xp from mobs kills totaled was getting me a full lvl at 50 in 40 mins. Mindless running and killing then reseting quest was faster lvling then actually playing through from quest to quest