Close
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Showing results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Diablo III

D3, for me, will be a game i play when servers are down. I also feel like it is very simple game in content and game mechanics. I am also a victim of my MMO playing ruining my single game playing experiences. For me its MMOs and FPSs, i do like a tad of RTS but I suck at it, so only play them on a rare occasion. I am looking forward to CaC:G2 though 8)
    Currently 5 Boxing 5 Protection Paladins on Whisperwind Alliance
    The Power of Five!!! ( short video )

Blog Entries

I suffer from being attached to the MMO gamestyle myself. RT games fight it out for my time with them also.

It is very possible I'm being Maudlin here, given Memorial day just around the corner, But ever since my time in, back in 92' I just have a real hard time playing a lot of the military FPS games out there. Now don't get me wrong, I played the hell out of Borderlands, or even the older Max Payne games, and enjoyed it. But when it comes to one of the Military based ones, I just get this mental block in my head. I was there, why in the world would I want to play a sim of it.

that being said, I am glad many others do get a joy out of them, and I wish them well with them. My Own grandson loves them, and is always trying to get me to check them out when he visits.

all just a personal hangup I suppose I should work on one of these days.

Stephen
    "You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the
    point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth
    - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin
    Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Blog Entries
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Quote Originally Posted by Lyonheart View Post
    D3, for me, will be a game i play when servers are down. [..snip..]
    Well if the WoW servers are just down for maintenance then sure you can play D3. But its an online only game, cant play it offline like the previous diablos.

I don't really understand what everyone's hang up is with Diablo being a "single player game." I keep seeing something along the lines of "WoW has ruined single player games for me" in this thread. Diablo is in no means a single-player game. Now I'm not trying to be that douche 12 year old on Live talking shit about how many e-friends they have...but on most nights I have somewhere between 20 and 30 friends online on battle.net 75% of which are playing diablo. I play with all sorts of people across multiple characters and games. As much as Diablo isn't an MMO, I would still consider it pretty multi-player oriented. Things are a lot more difficult when tried to do on single player(bosses are always focusing on you with their attacks, no one to carry you at times, etc). I think if you guys tried this with a friend or two you'd have a more enjoyable gaming experience. And what do you consider multiboxing? Multiboxing is like taking an MMO and turning it into as single player as possible with random douches whispering you when you're questing and PvPing.

I'm just saying, I don't understand the single player argument. I've played about 36 hours since Tuesday and I'm enjoying the game a lot. I hit a wall on nightmare act 3 on my barbarian and its mostly due to being burnt out, so I started a witch doctor that is sitting at level 16 at the moment, and even though you're doing the same content over and over again isn't that essentially what you're doing in WoW anyways? How many times have you run some of those instances. New content is cool for 2 weeks - a month tops, and then its just the same old grind. I'm in no way saying Diablo > WoW because I enjoy WoW more and I refuse to quit WoW for a game like Diablo. The reasons I'm seeing in this thread just don't appear to be rational(to me).
    I triple box on Arthas(US-PvP) and Magtheridon(US-PvP)
    I also have solo toons on Turalyon(my main raider) and Destromath

There's a vast difference between the feel of an MMO and a hack and slash dungeon crawler like Diablo. No matter how crappy an MMO is, it generally feels like a living world with different environments. Games like Diablo don't have that feeling. Even playing with other people, it's still a dungeon crawler. You've just got another person or two hitting the loot pinata.

Don't get me wrong, I love the mindless wholesale slaughter at times. I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on games like Torchlight and TitanQuest as well as Diablos past and present, both solo and co-op. I used to live and breathe singleplayer and co-op games until I was introduced to MMOs by way of Asheron's Call in 2000. After that, it was all MMOs all the time. Games like this fill in the times where I'm not multiboxing and don't have anything I want to do in an MMO.

Multiboxing = turning an MMO into a singleplayer? Maybe if all you do is sit in AV and faceroll people all day. But in general, MMOs give far more freedom of what to do than games like Diablo.
    Blog : Herding Khats
    Team : Kina - Çroaker - Messkit - Lìfetaker - Wìdowmaker
    Newbie Guides : Multiboxing Vol. 1 - Multiboxing Vol. 2 - HotKeyNet - Jamba
    The Almighty Lax made a liar out of me, apparently I DO get prizes for it.
    *Commences Wielding the Banhammer like there's piñatas up in here and I'm Lady Thor*

_ Forum search letting you down? Use the custom Google search _

Quote Originally Posted by F9thRet View Post
    Make that three of us. I just went through the campaign again last month out of boredom.

Stephen
    I knew I liked you people for a reason.
    Now playing: WoW (Garona)

I prefer turn based strategy games like Empire(way back in the day), Panzer General etc. Or something like Homm 2 & 3. That is, when I'm not playing WoW.

Ontopic: D3 is now my current addiction, played about 5 hours of it (not straight) yesterday. I was a diehard D2 junkie, and am really enjoying D3.

Offtopic: I was fairly obsessed with Supcom 1 when it came out. I believe it tied KoToR 2 with "longest gaming session I've ever had", I once logged 6 1/2 straight hours in a 4 player game against the CPU. Supcom 2 was okay, but 1 is superior in every way. My other favorite RTS was Rise of Nations.

Quote Originally Posted by Khatovar View Post
    I've spent an embarrassing amount of time on games like Torchlight and TitanQuest as well as Diablos past and present, both solo and co-op.
    Torchlight 2 looks interesting, but Titan Quest was one of the worst arpgs I've ever played.
    Last edited by MiRai : 05-21-2012 at 12:28 PM Reason: Merged
    The poetry that comes from the squaring off between,
    And the circling is worth it,
    Finding beauty in the
    dissonance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ughmahedhurtz View Post
    I knew I liked you people for a reason.
    Hehe, right back at ya Man.

It's funny, I had played a number of RTS games, etc. But I never became so involved, untill I joined the Starfleet Command Community, way back with Interplay, then Taldren, and now The Dynaverse. You take one part trekie, one part Military, and one part loving games, and you learn a lot fast. Those guys are incredible when it comes to RTS games, but they really shine when we debate military strategy, or history. Up till then, my strategy was mostly Chesty Pullerisque. (Yeah, I made a new word) , in which, cool we can shoot in any direction and hit the enemy, to learning about Oblique attacks, Retreating attacks ala Alexander, to Obscure military battles like the First and second Crumonia BC69) , to Solway Moss 1542AD.

They really opened my eyes, Much like the community here has with Multiboxing, and the joys it can bring. Sure, we don't get into the intricacies of making say , Zythum, the first Egyptian Beer, But I bet we would all sure share one of those beers with one another.

Stephen
    "You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the
    point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth
    - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin
    Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War