Close
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 10 of 12

Default Going back to basics

(this is more of a blog type post with no real useful information - just sharing my plan)

I've played a fury warrior since vanilla - I remember my biggest goal used to be dual-wielding the Deathbringer axes from Onyxia or completing the full Eskhandar set (never did, unfortunately). I used to know everything about fury warriors and play at a pretty high level.

Now, I multibox and usually spam one or two buttons on my lead toon. There is obviously a whole lot of fun in multiboxing and figuring out how to accomplish things, but it doesn't give the feeling that I'm playing my lead toon well.

So, I'm going back to basics, for a little while. I'm going to play solo on my fury warrior until I feel like I'm a quality player again. Once that's complete, I'm going to bring my four priests into the mix and have them be as dumbed down as possible while still trying to play my fury warrior at a high level (no cast sequences for the fury warrior, actual button pushing for different abilities).

I'm hopeful that I'll get my goal - having a dominant fury warrior with 4 pocket healers. I will attempt to tank all MoP dungeons as fury (w/o a shield) and think it's actually possible due to the abundant healing I have with 4 atonement priests. I've had some success already with Cata dungeons while severely under-geared and non-optimized rotations/set-up.

I think this will be fun. The changes in MoP are making it easier to play hybrid specs. In MoP I will be able to play as fury while in defensive stance, thereby increasing my threat and reducing incoming damage. Since all warrior abilities will be available in all stances, I'll have access to taunt and other tanking necessities. It will be much easier than my current fury tanking where I just have to hope (many times unsuccessfully) that I out threat my priests (it's difficult even with fade).

TL; DR: in order to be a better boxer I'm going solo for a little while to relearn how to play a fury warrior
    Owltoid, Thatblueguy, Thisblueguy, Otherblueguy, Whichblueguy

Blog Entries

In the end, the hobby is for having fun.
    If one aspect or method of play is more fun for you, then that's the way to go.

Having a goal to work towards, is an excellent idea too.

You wouldn't necessarily need to manually push everything on the Warrior.
    Although you could go that route, if you want to.
    If for example, you have a combo that always goes A > B > C, there's nothing wrong with a castsequence for that ability; my Ferals did Feral Charge(Kitty) and Ravage -- as one "function" that always went together.

For my Pally / 4x DK team, I have a lot of abilities that are clicked to activate on the Pally.
    I'm not exactly playing the Pally at as high of a level, as someone who knows their class inside and out (as you intend for your Fury)...
    But I can play the toon solo, and be quite effective.
    I have healing set up, to spam like crazy when a focus is set... but everything is manual or a castsequence when focus is not set.
    That gives the option to set focus, to take the efficiency/thinking out of healing, when things are hectic or something else demands attention.
    But gives the option to play manually on casual stuff.

Find a balance that works for you.
    There is a lot more going on when boxing.

You might also take a look at the Monk class, when MoP releases.
    They're supposed to do some amount of healing, while doing melee.
    If you have aspirations towards PvP (as well as PvE) on the team, being in peoples faces... is really good for PvP.
    I'm not sure how the final numbers will be for heals, via DPS as a Monk, but videos from beta (on YouTube) look like that will be quite viable.
    EverQuest I: Bard / Enchanter / Druid / Wizard / 2x Magician.
    Diablo III: 4x Crusader & 4x Wizard.

My Guide to IS Boxer http://www.dual-boxing.com/showthread.php?t=26231 (somewhat dated).
    Streaming in 1080p HD: www.twitch.tv/ualaa
    Twitter: @Ualaa

Multiboxing for awhile made playing solo more fun. It's nice to have complete control over your class again; all abilities, proper movement, timing and micromanagement. I enjoyed it so much I ended up rolling about 7 classes. Have only gotten good at 2 or 3 of them though, so far.

I think you'll enjoy going back solo.

I've considered going back to solo as well. All of the main reasons I started boxing to begin with are no longer issues in the game.

Just do what you enjoy
    EVE Online Get Ships. Train Skills.

Quote Originally Posted by EaTCarbS View Post
    I've considered going back to solo as well. All of the main reasons I started boxing to begin with are no longer issues in the game.

Just do what you enjoy
    Yeah and looking at the beta so far, combined with my lack of motivation to finish my teams to 85 by repeating hyjal, vash etc 5 more times has just got me thinking that I'll switch back to solo or dual-boxing (have 2 full CE accounts) just because most of the reasons for boxing are gone and it makes it easier for me to play with friends when I want without feeling one char of a team is getting left behind....plus friend and I usually take release week off to level together to cap and it just slows me down to have to repeat pickup quests with so many players in the zone.

I might get back to it once I get my main(s) to 90 but I'm not sure yet.

I do both, I multibox my shammys, locks, mages, and hunters and mix them as well, but I also raid on my main hunter solo and pvp on it solo, and I pvp on shammys boxed... just depends what I am wanting to do and achieve. For instance raiding and doingheroic mode,cannot box it, so its solo on the main...

playing around in bgs is a mix of boxed or solo... raid finder for newer teams is gear and a mix sometimes of more geared toons too carry the lower item level ones and need to trade loot, or to just show off in raid finder lol.

army of xmuters and jc'ers as well, used for gold making purposes, also use boxed toons to mount farm as well..

So a bit of this and that boxed and solo, never goes stale imo

As silly as it may sound, spending about 6 hours playing solo really helped my multiboxing game already. I now feel much more comfortable playing my fury warrior. While I am not playing to 100% of the potential of a solo player, I know I'm doing significantly more than I was before. In the end, I still ended up with cast sequences, but they were ones that I crafted. More importantly, I understand why I crafted them and can change them in the future (as opposed to just doing a google search for the best).
    Owltoid, Thatblueguy, Thisblueguy, Otherblueguy, Whichblueguy

Warrior is the only class I haven't gotten around to yet. But after reading your post, maybe consider 2 warriors + 3 priests, or 3 warriors + 2 priests? Double, triple the fun

Sometimes I'll play my lead toon like normal(no spam or 2 step macros for the lead), full action bars etc. And then I'll just set aside a button or two for everyone else to spam/heal. Versus easy mode when I only hit the same key all day long. Breaks up the monotony.

This addon may help you with your loot gearing decisions.
    Zolotips - Addon to help decide who gets loot

and this addon will search the auction house for an upgrade. It requires the Auctioneer addon to work. the curse client will install that for you as well if you dont have it.
    Auc-Advanced-Searcher-Pawn

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it"

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    For my Pally / 4x DK team, I have a lot of abilities that are clicked to activate on the Pally.
    You telling me Pallys have more than 2 buttons? Sorry, I try to play pallys but they are so slow to me. Judge then Crusader Strike and GCD. I only have one to mid 40s tops but aawwgg PAINFul
    RAF Tour Guide files are obsolete, I went to Zygor
    MultiBoxers play with themselves